Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition

What a lovely gift for Chanukah... and in my grubby little hands from UPS right now.
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
soonerchick
soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
What is your opinion so far? I'm expecting delivery of mine tomorrow. I am so excited. I already have the original One but...just had to have this version. Happy reading!
soonerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Aside from the expanded storage, is there any other difference from the original KA1? The webpage mentions faster page turns.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Page turns do seem to be faster on both, but how much of that is due to the work on the Firmware?

I am still doing side by side comparisons
Old 12-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #5
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur

ok at 0200 GMT -8 my screen on the limited edition isn't that red more like white - yellow paper colour, as opposed to the standard KA1 which is, well, red.

Both are set to a brightness of 5%

This is terribly disappointing. More like annoying as hell because I don't want to pay return shipping for what appears to be another quality control problem, and then have to wait without my own eReader, for a new one to be shipped.. (The KA1 I am using to compare with right now is my wife's)

Last edited by Wolfsbruder; 12-14-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I think "lemonish" is the new normal, not a quality control problem. At least, this is what I have on the H2o2 I bought three months ago.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur

Followup. There is now light bleedthrough along the lower right edge of the reader between the frame and the screen... I contacted Kobo / Rakuten this morning about this and as of 1600 GMT -8 I have not received any followup from them via email or phone...
Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo isn't exactly known for their customer support, but I wouldn't expect most companies to reply the day you send the email. Bummer about the bleed, though. I had that on my original Aura.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbruder View Post
ok at 0200 GMT -8 my screen on the limited edition isn't that red more like white - yellow paper colour, as opposed to the standard KA1 which is, well, red.
could you show a photo of this for comparison from both original and limited ed.?
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur

I can. Here is the limited on the left, the regular on the right, with the exact same settings.
(and some of the bleedthrough shows up on the reader on the left.)

(Now I hope I do this right and don't violate the image guidelines)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171215_013935.jpg (1.38 MB, 1135 views)

Last edited by Wolfsbruder; 12-15-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
wow, i feel color for limited version looks better, my H2O's color is bit green side (more comfortable) comparing with aura one original.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
wow, i feel color for limited version looks better, my H2O's color is bit green side (more comfortable) comparing with aura one original.
The camera may not make it clear. These both have the same settings. They both should be red. The limited doesn't really look like the comfort light is turned on at all.

At this point I know That it needs to be to be replaced because of the light coming in at edge of the screen, but I am hoping that the comfort light is not like this across the entire release.

(I am also still waiting to hear from kobo's customer service)
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
soonerchick
soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.soonerchick could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Sadly, the lighting issues have not been corrected with this edition. As a result, I am returning mine as well. I guess I should have know better. Lesson learned.
soonerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I admit I live in a country where Kobos aren't readily available and the views presented here are skewed. But even so, I just wouldn't buy an Aura ONE at all. Just too many quality control issues that seem unacceptable on a premium product.

The H202 seems like a safer bet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur

Update: I did finally hear from Kobo. Following the obligatory "No, Really, a factory reset will _not_ fix a hardware problem" It has taken several hours back and forth to make the determination that there really is a hardware defect.

At this point, I should mention that this was the replacement for my dead H20.

I am physically disabled and have ongoing health issues these days. Part of that means for me, this I am not able to hold things even of a lightish weight for very long, so I am not able to hold, let alone read actually printed books anymore. I am an avid reader. I am also not able to move very much or sit upright for any significant length of time.

These issues do, I freely admit, lead to a sense of irritation and entitlement at times.

I have been told I need to ship my eReader back to Rakuten (that's 5+ days), and then wait for them to physically confirm, that yes there really is an issue. At that point, they will set up to ship my replacement, and then they will ship it to me (10+ days).

That leaves me at an estimated 15 days without really being able to do anything but lay reclining while not doing... anything... (I don't cope well with having to pass days like this)

I have let the poor CSR working with me know this as politely as possible and added in that with the amount of money involved that this is really not acceptable. (And that Kobo has shipped replacements to me and then had me ship defective readers back to them for this very reason).

However, it is now past close of day for them on a Friday. I do not expect to hear back from them before Monday.

Here is to hoping for a more positive outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171215_100818.jpg (1.23 MB, 733 views)