Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #136
newpain01
newpain01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PaperWhite 3
I would like to create folders/sub-folders when I connect the kindle to a computer, to organize my books better. Now I have hundreds of books all in one category on the Kindle and I need to create a collection on the Kindle and then update each book to add it there, it's slow and painful.
newpain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #137
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpain01 View Post
I would like to create folders/sub-folders when I connect the kindle to a computer, to organize my books better. Now I have hundreds of books all in one category on the Kindle and I need to create a collection on the Kindle and then update each book to add it there, it's slow and painful.
Folders and subfolders, Calibre can create natively. Unfortunately, the Kindle firmware just dumps all your books in a single view anyway. You need to manually add them to Collections if you want them organized.

If you're willing to store your books in Amazon's Cloud (as Personal Docs), then you can add them to collections using web browser or the Kindle Android/iOS apps. That should be much faster than doing it on e-ink Kindle.

Too bad the new devices ship with 5.9 now. I traded in my Paperwhite running 5.9.4 I think around February or March and the one I got still shipped with 5.8.11 which I managed to JB and install LibrarianSync on.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #138
newpain01
newpain01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PaperWhite 3
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, my biggest issue is that the Kindle shows all my books in a single view, I also have some duplicates, (transferred the books from my old Kindle 3 Keyboard) but don't want to go through hundreds of books and organize them in collections, takes way too much time.

I wasn't aware that I can store my DRM-free ebooks in Amazon's Cloud, will look that up, thanks.

I bought this one on the Black Friday sale from Germany and it came with 5.9, so it's been a while since they are shipping with 5.9 I think.
newpain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #139
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpain01 View Post
I bought this one on the Black Friday sale from Germany and it came with 5.9, so it's been a while since they are shipping with 5.9 I think.
Interesting. I looked up my purchase date (March 5, 2018) from Amazon US and mine still had 5.8.11.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #140
guruproj
guruproj began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O, Kindle PW3 32GB
So I got a refurb w/ model G090LK (Japanese 32G), but firmware is 5.8.7.0.1. Should I follow the instruction for 5.8.x in general or for 32GB version? (Have not connect to wifi or sign in yet.)

Thanks!
guruproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #141
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruproj View Post
So I got a refurb w/ model G090LK (Japanese 32G), but firmware is 5.8.7.0.1. Should I follow the instruction for 5.8.x in general or for 32GB version? (Have not connect to wifi or sign in yet.)

Thanks!
I got 2x refurb PW Manga from Woot and used 5.8.9.0.1 on both. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #142
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Hi!

I have a KPW3-32G with version 5.7.4 firmware. Can I use the method in this thread to jailbreak my device?
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:17 AM   #143
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivilyn View Post
Hi!

I have a KPW3-32G with version 5.7.4 firmware. Can I use the method in this thread to jailbreak my device?
Read the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First sentence of first post
This is a hardware/firmware specific variation on the current software jailbreak.
Is your Kindle running firmware version 5.8.9.0.1?
That is the answer to your question.

Last edited by knc1; 05-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #144
Bjarand
Bjarand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage

I have a KV updated to 5.9.5.1 Can I jailbreak or downgrade?
Bjarand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #145
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarand View Post
I have a KV updated to 5.9.5.1 Can I jailbreak or downgrade?
Why are you posting in a thread specific to the PW3?
Go trade in your KV for a PW3 or post in the appropriate (for your device) thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #146
Bjarand
Bjarand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm sorry, but I was linked here from a website.
Bjarand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #147
Compnird
Compnird began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite3 (newest)
Been using my PW3 for a few weeks and now want to jailbreak, (mostly just to change the wallpaper).

I am so far unsuccessful in downgrading the firmware. Am I SOL? or am I just missing something. Everything seems geared towards older versions.

USA version - (G090 G1*)
Has received update to 5.9.5.1
Ads are disabled (Paid to Amazon)
Purchased new directly from Amazon.com (new)

All methods listed for PW3 have been attempted:
update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.9.bin
update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin

In all cases the Update Kindle selection only briefly flashes black and then grays out. .bin files disappear from root.

Files are in fact placed in the root directory.
Compnird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #148
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compnird View Post
Am I SOL?
This. It already updated to a consumer firmware. Even on ootb firmware, JB is not guaranteed to work (but at least there's a chance).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-06-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #149
Compnird
Compnird began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite3 (newest)
Quote:
Been using my PW3 for a few weeks and now want to jailbreak, (mostly just to change the wallpaper).

I am so far unsuccessful in downgrading the firmware. Am I SOL? or am I just missing something. Everything seems geared towards older versions.

USA version - (G090 G1*)
Has received update to 5.9.5.1
Ads are disabled (Paid to Amazon)
Purchased new directly from Amazon.com (new)

All methods listed for PW3 have been attempted:
update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.9.bin
update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin

In all cases the Update Kindle selection only briefly flashes black and then grays out. .bin files disappear from root.

Files are in fact placed in the root directory.
After some digging I saw that 5.9.4 is only breakable by Serial method. I'm not opening my new PW3... I'll maybe trade with my daughter and get her PW2 and Jailbreak that one.
Compnird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #150
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
After some digging I saw that 5.9.4 is only breakable by Serial method. I'm not opening my new PW3... I'll maybe trade with my daughter and get her PW2 and Jailbreak that one.
All Paperwhite should be jailbreakable by serial. where did you see it stopped working after 5.9.4
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote