Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #646
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't have a Q anything, but I do have a Kindle 2. I would say that there is only one way I know of to get a permanent Internet connection for $0 monthly cost, and that is a Kindle. If anyone knows an alternative, please let me know.

My Kindle cost me $300. For that cost, I can email anywhere a cell phone would work with Sprint, and I can read news or Twitter. I can do this for no cost except the originial $300. I think it is worth more than $300 for this one feature.

I agree that black and white is no big deal versus color -- eye strain seems to me about the same, but I have spent many, many hours on my Nokia N800 and N810 with no problems with eye strain.

I can get all the books on Project Gutenberg for free with my Kindle, and on many other sites. Can you tell me for certain that I can't convert files and get the Google book files on my Kindle? I haven't tried. I haven't noticed a fantastic selection of books in the Google book files that are not available from Project Gutenberg, can you list a few essential books that are not available from Gutenberg that ARE available from Google? Numbers of hundreds of thousands of books are somewhat worthless; you can't read numbers, only books.

I have bought some very good books from Amazon that are definitely not available from free, legitimate sites. I am reading some Harry Bosh detective novels right now, I read Four Days in November, a fabulous book about the JFK assassination, and I read some other fiction, all costing me a reasonable $9.99 each.

I am tempted to buy a Q7 myself! But I think the Kindle 2 is a very good deal. I can't speak for the DX.
1) Not everyone lives in the U.S. where Amazon offers the free internet or even sells their kindles. Too bad we are not the settlers who went to the New World with no visas and stayed forever. Time has changed. Human genes can get patented by doctors.

2) Kindles and Sonies have their strength, like light weight, E-ink, longer battery life, but there is something personally I can't bear, especially with kindles.
-------Who developed these E-book readers and what are their primary trades of interest?
-------What titles are usually available in E-book format in their stores if they sell books?
-------Who are the target groups of consumers/readers of those titles?
-------Why is there only one embedded English dictionary in it?
I guess it is not hard to figure out these questions. I don't want to call it monopoly or cultural imperialism but it just doesn't make me feel cool to buy it. If there is no freedom not to buy an E-book reader since people have invented PDF and other E-formats and keep making them indispensable for whatever reasons, at least I need some illusion of freedom to justify my support to their businesses.

I suggest that Amazon and Sony add ads to each page of their e-books and make them "free".

Last edited by jshzh; 09-14-2009 at 10:24 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #647
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
A Humorous Response

Quote:
I can get all the books on Project Gutenberg for free with my Kindle, and on many other sites. Can you tell me for certain that I can't convert files and get the Google book files on my Kindle? I haven't tried. I haven't noticed a fantastic selection of books in the Google book files that are not available from Project Gutenberg, can you list a few essential books that are not available from Gutenberg that ARE available from Google? Numbers of hundreds of thousands of books are somewhat worthless; you can't read numbers, only books.
Ouch! Sounds like I touched a nerve, but let's have fun anyway....

You seem very concerned about Google Books vs. Project Gutenberg. Both are useful, free tools for readers. If you're just asking rhetorical questions, ignore the following. Otherwise, read on to see my thoughts about answers to your questions.

"Can you tell me for certain that I can't convert files and get the Google book files on my Kindle? I haven't tried."

I know you can use the basic browser on the Kindle 2 and DX to read Google Books online because I've done it. The point is that the Q7 has many free resources upon which to draw and can do it in geographic areas where Whispernet is but an unfulfilled promise.

Sometimes the marketing hype surrounding the Kindle family makes it appear as if the Kindle is the single "best" device for eBook reading. The Q7 is a reasonable and inexpensive alternative that does not depend on the Kindle ecosystem. Of course, there are many folks who like different devices (Astak, Sony, insert your favorite here, etc.) and I don't begrudge them their preferences. I just think those who are in the market for an eBook reader should consider the Q7.

"I haven't noticed a fantastic selection of books in the Google book files that are not available from Project Gutenberg, can you list a few essential books that are not available from Gutenberg that ARE available from Google?"

Here's an aside. Do I detect a note of sarcasm? [Note for Kindle users reading this using the 'experimental' browser--the 'rolleyes' icon is in the color blue and this laughing icon is in yellow and animated.]

Depending on how essential is defined, I'm sure someone can find "essential" books that are part of Google Books but not Project Gutenberg. I anticipate that these "essential" books would be useful in academic settings where someone is doing in-depth research on a particular topic. Other readers would regard them as "nonessential" so this is a matter of opinion (as long as the opinion doesn't stand in the way of a grade). In short, for the academic researcher, numbers matter.

Let me pose a new question related to yours (and I'll add a little playful sarcasm, too).

Which of the two devices (Kindle 2 or Q7) is better suited to taking advantage of Google Books and Project Gutenberg?

Part1: Gosh, reading Google Books offline in PDF format doesn't pose a problem for the Q7. Oh, darn, I'll have to convert those PDFs for use with the Kindle 2. Cha-ching, that's an extra cost when using Amazon's conversion service.

Part 2: Wow, there are some great ebooks with color illustrations at Project Gutenberg that look spectacular on the Q7. The 16 shades of gray on the Kindle make them look dull and tired. Everyone who has seen the Q7 and Kindle 2 display the same Gutenberg color ebook always prefers the Q7. I wonder why that is? [That's a rhetorical question.]

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing your opinion.

I'm happy with my Kindle 2 for what it does and unhappy with my DX for what it doesn't do.

IMHO, the Q7 just comes out on top using the above metrics involving WiFi, PDF, color, and cost. [Note the big grin icon to the left is in green and white.]
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #648
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I contacted Foxit Reader sales department. It seems that they won’t quote one for customizing Foxit Reader for WinCE with annotation, bookmarks, and search functions unless at least ten licenses will be purchased. Foxit Reader for Windows is free and with all these functions. Guess I will have to convert PDF to txt for iSilo if I need more functions.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #649
kaosnews
kaosnews began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I contacted Foxit Reader sales department. It seems that they won’t quote one for customizing Foxit Reader for WinCE with annotation, bookmarks, and search functions unless at least ten licenses will be purchased. Foxit Reader for Windows is free and with all these functions. Guess I will have to convert PDF to txt for iSilo if I need more functions.
It is possible to buy 1 copy. Read this: http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=10&t=167
kaosnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #650
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosnews View Post
It is possible to buy 1 copy. Read this: http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=10&t=167

But the commercial version doesn't allow you to annotate (at least to highlight), or add bookmarks either, right? Then it is not better than the free version for me...
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #651
del1357
del1357 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7 (prospective)
Guys,

Not sure if there's anything that can be done about this, but are any of you having trouble with the Q7's battery? From initially lasting for ages, I now get barely 4+ hours for using the machine to read comics. I have switched from using comix to evince - could evince use more battery power than comix? Could overcharging the device have had an adverse effect (it takes around 6-8 hours to charge the device when not in standby)?

Any advice appreciated.
del1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #652
Azure_Acolyte
Azure_Acolyte began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX => N810 => Smart Q7
Has anyone seen the blurb on Gizmodo about the Smart Q7 (http://gizmodo.com/5370275/lighthous...uts-at-twitter)? Can anyone identify the OS that is running. I am currently running the V5 OS from the company, and have flirted with Mer. Is it running Win CE?
Azure_Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #653
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Thats a custom OS made by Lighthouse.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #654
rado3105
rado3105 began at the beginning.

Device: sony m600i
re

Does anybody know if usb/ethernet adapter, this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22684 or something similar will work in smartq5, I am planning to buy smartq5 and also with this adapter.
rado3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #655
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado3105 View Post
Does anybody know if usb/ethernet adapter, this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22684 or something similar will work in smartq5, I am planning to buy smartq5 and also with this adapter.
It says it works with Linux so probably it would, HOWEVER, If I remember correctly the Q5 only has a mini USB connector so that means you couldn't connect it without another adapter/cable between it and your Q5.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #656
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Celtica:

I plead no content on the issue of shades of grey vs color. Color is better! What's more, I've seen many, many tables, maps, and photos on the Kindle that were just plain unacceptable. I'm looking forward to the color Kindle, someday.

I already have a Nokia N810 and N800, did I mention that? So, for the moment my color needs are satisfied, and I don't have room in my heart for a new device, though the Q7 might be what I'd get. It's sort of scary, though, because I like to be very experimental with my toys, and that sometimes means breaking them and starting over. I'm not sure how easy the Q7 is to reformat and put back in factory condition.

Right now, I just got a relatively cheap offer for the as-yet-unreleased Nokia N900, and I'm tempted, even though it is probably not as good as my Nokia N810 as a reader. So it will probably be awhile before I can consider the Q7 again.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #657
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
It's sort of scary, though, because I like to be very experimental with my toys, and that sometimes means breaking them and starting over. I'm not sure how easy the Q7 is to reformat and put back in factory condition.
It's really easy to flash the Q7 and you have a multitude of OS's with which to play with/brick your device.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #658
4tux
4tux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there,

is it possible to recharge the Q7 on a USB-port (desktop computer, full-sized-notebook) and if yes, with what kind of adapter/cable?

thx in advance
4tux
4tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #659
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tux View Post
Hi there,

is it possible to recharge the Q7 on a USB-port (desktop computer, full-sized-notebook) and if yes, with what kind of adapter/cable?

thx in advance
4tux
USB does not put out enough juice to 'charge' the Q7 it would probably just about power it. I believe its a 2mm dia + tip connection.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #660
hoosdathu
hoosdathu began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've just bought a 2nd hand SmartQ7 over a local online forum.

hope more experienced users can teach me:

1) how to add shortcuts of files or applications to the desktop? (i've only got 2 items: "My Documents" & the "SD CARD" there now, with firmware 5.2)

2) the on-screen keyboard is too big sometimes. any way to resize it?

3) some windows, like when setting up the openbox preferences, are too big, but i can't seem to resize them (i touch the window bar n hold, select resize then try to pull the window smaller. but this doesn't work)
hoosdathu is offline   Reply With Quote