Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For what it's worth, as far as I can tell, Amazon US is still selling a squaretrade warranty, at least for the Kindle Paperwhite.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
For what it's worth, as far as I can tell, Amazon US is still selling a squaretrade warranty, at least for the Kindle Paperwhite.
but no in uk , in fact i got a ( non) answer from amazon this morning

the style ( with the first name +single initial signature ) suggest this is witten by an amazon employee assigned to a square trade support dept

Hello ..,

This is Joshua from the SquareTrade Support Team.

We'd suggest that you get in touch with Amazon as it relates to warranties for their devices, as we no longer offer this service.

You could get in touch with them by using the link provided below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesupport

Thank you for contacting Amazon.

Warmest regards,
Joshua V.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS that /kindlesupport link takes me back to the help / contact us options page which is where I sent in my question in the 1st place, So I submitted it again, asking not to be sent around in circles this time - we shall see, but I am not hopeful
I signed up to the new kindle support forum at amazon and asked also on that....
https://uk.amazonforum.com/forums/de...ded-warranties

Last edited by stumped; 11-13-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Their reply seems perfectly clear: "we no longer offer this service".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:27 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Their reply seems perfectly clear: "we no longer offer this service".
expect for who is "we" in that sentence: amazon or square trade? The message is from an amazon employee but the context implies that he is speaking on behalf of square trade as he then says go ask amazon..... about... their devices
...which i have now done,via contact us and also via their new forum, as per my previous posts
Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
expect for who is "we" in that sentence: amazon or square trade?
I read it as saying that Square Trade no longer offer a Kindle extended warranty, which is supported by the fact that their website has no mention of readers on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:11 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Maybe, though I am more inclined to phone amazon, if they don't answer the email, and ask why they won't guarantee their own product for 2 years. Offer to buy one now if they add extended cover just to see what they propose instead
( but my original plan was to buy nothng before black friday )
I suspect that amazon are planning either to partner with a different insurer, or to launch their own extended cover. It is not smart for them to have no options on offer at all in the run up to xmas.

Looking also at ebay to get a feel for used prices, thiugh there is always the small risk of buying something blacklisted. I see some listings there for blocked kindles and surely "blocked " really means stolen .
Amazon do offer extended warranties for Kindles, it's listed on the buy page as one of the 'extras' but this is the main page for the Amazon Protect warranties.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...nid=1642204031

Edited to say it's listed on the Oasis Buy page. Not sure what warranty they would suggest for the Voyage, Paperwhite or basic Kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #23
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Buy from John Lewis for a two year guarantee. Get the added cover if you wish.
This is what I did. Their 'Added Care' covers you for accidental damage for three years, its a tenner!

You get a 2 year manufacture fault cover as standard.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
This is what I did. Their 'Added Care' covers you for accidental damage for three years, its a tenner!

You get a 2 year manufacture fault cover as standard.
i looked at that, as the Kobo is also on the buy list, bu it's not clear if you get to deal with JL instead of Kobo CS or if they pass you on
and also, if the offer exists for the Kobo, then i missed it - will take another look. £10 sounds like a v good deal.

as for Sq trade, - the question for amazon UK then becomes ( and I am chasing an answer, ) if they don't offer sq trade then how do they suggest I go about buying extended kindle cover for whatever model I select. would amazon prefer I bought the device from John Lewis ??? surely not.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard

ok - let me re-group/ recap ... on what others have said & on what I want to buy
whether i get a kindle or Kobo to give as a gift is still undecided but whichever I buy , I do want cover for accidental screen damage.
revisiting John lewis i see this
2 year guarantee included
2 years' Added Care for your technology (accidental damage cover) - £10.00

https://www.johnlewis.com/kobo-aura-...wi-fi/p3097682
not quite as posted above but suits me, I pay £10 more and for 2 years I am fully covered against my own or other's carelessness
I'd like to read the claims process, but that's a nice to have.

So now to check Kindle paperwhite at JL
same deal - [pay only £10 extra
I think I will bounce that back to amazon for their comments
Additional Services
2 years' Added Care for your technology (accidental damage cover) £10.00
Find out more

the find out more link looks OK - no nasty exclusions , no excess...
https://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/added-care

the dilemma will be if amazon knock £20 of the kindles on black friday, like they did last year- unless JL will go for a price match on the day...
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #26
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ok - let me re-group/ recap ... on what others have said & on what I want to buy
whether i get a kindle or Kobo to give as a gift is still undecided but whichever I buy , I do want cover for accidental screen damage.
revisiting John lewis i see this
2 year guarantee included
2 years' Added Care for your technology (accidental damage cover) - £10.00

https://www.johnlewis.com/kobo-aura-...wi-fi/p3097682
not quite as posted above but suits me, I pay £10 more and for 2 years I am fully covered against my own or other's carelessness
I'd like to read the claims process, but that's a nice to have.

So now to check Kindle paperwhite at JL
same deal - [pay only £10 extra
I think I will bounce that back to amazon for their comments
Additional Services
2 years' Added Care for your technology (accidental damage cover) £10.00
Find out more

the find out more link looks OK - no nasty exclusions , no excess...
https://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/added-care

the dilemma will be if amazon knock £20 of the kindles on black friday, like they did last year- unless JL will go for a price match on the day...
John Lewis usually matches Amazon on price drops.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
John Lewis usually matches Amazon on price drops.
ok - looks like JL are about to gain a customer, and amazon about to lose one

but I will not buy anything today - I want to see what if anything comes back from posting to the new amazon kindle forum

I found this address for JL 's added care,
johnlewis@thewarrantygroup.com
so I have sent then a query as to how any claim works, and for confirmation that it bypasses any need to ever have to get an RMA from Kobo CS

Last edited by stumped; 11-13-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #28
stumped
Wizard

the plot evolves...
amazon called me..
.. and said...
Square trade is gone but they now have Amazon Protect - exacpt that although that is supposed to appear for all of the e-readers, it is only showing as an option on the Kindle Oasis (and at £53 for 2 year cover is not cheap )
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IQSUL...FG_productInfo
£63 for 3 years is a better deal

so we searched together for amazon protect and for other kindle models - she agreed it is glitched , and is going to get back to me, when the offer is working on other Kindles
I asked her to also check if it will be there for the Kobo KA1 - which has anyway vanished from amazon again, so she will respond on that also

but there will be no extended wattrany options for any tablets or tablets mobile phones - they are dropping those, she said
I forgot to mention fire TV, but definitely no extended cover for any of the Fire HD tablets- which to me says something about their confidence in the hardware they are using.
Maybe I'll just frame the insurance cert for my existing fire HDX 8.9 and hang it on the wall, as a rare antique

meanwhile the Kobo KA1 with the £10 extra from John Lewis is still at #1 on my buy list

amazon protect is a brand stuck onto a service from London General Insurance Company Limited, and you have to buy it on the day you buy the reader.
"Amazon Protect only covers products purchased on the same day from Amazon.co.uk."

Last edited by stumped; 11-13-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I bought my Fire HD 8 from John Lewis because I wanted the warranty. I was lucky with my Oasis, I have a free three year warranty with domestic and general from my credit card.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #30
stumped
Wizard

the lady from amazon called me back as promised with an update on the " missing" insurance. I let her leave a long story on answer machine as I don't take unexpected " number withheld" calls. Basically she said "we dont have extended cover for voyage, paperwhite..., & we have no information on when/if we will ever be offering that.

So it's "please buy our KIndle e-readers but we will not guarantee them to last for more than a year nor will we let anyone on our site sell you an extended warranty"- and PS if you were thinking of getting a new tablet or a new phone from us we will give you the same shoddy treatment.
Oh well its good news for John Lewis - & the odds on our next purchase being a Kobo have drastically shortened.
PS -> josieb1 - how did you wrangle a free 3 year D&G warranty with your credit card ?? Maybe it's time for a new credit card here

Last edited by stumped; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.