Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The manual wants you to only import photos from a camera. This technique is side-stepping that requirement!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #32
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
That did it! Thank you.
How come the small manual that came with the device doesn't tell you that?
Or is that something everyone knows except a dummy like me?
the DCIM (Digital Camera IMages) is a spec manufacturers came up with a few years back so that you could take a card from camera to camera and they would be organized in a semi-standard fashion. the photos app only knows to scan that directory for any of it's supported file types (.jpg and .raw work, .pdf doesn't).

dropping your own pictures in there is a "cheat". the ipad doesn't know they didn't come from a camera over your desktop. on the other hand, anything not in that directory is safe from being scanned. while sub-directories are scanned for files, the directory structure is not preserved, so save yourself the hassle from organizing them on the card only to have it ignored.

it was mentioned in my mini-review on the first page, under "Unsupported Devices".
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #33
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Thank you That clears that up. I have also now imported videos from a flash drive.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
wow.. if i had known i could unload mine for 4x the price i might not have opened the box!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/i...fetches-100-o/
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #35
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
I'm still waiting for mine which will ship sometime around the 7th of June.

Is there a list somewhere of raw files it supports? My camera is relatively new (Canon 7D) and there's usually some delay before many programs will support the slightly different raw formats each DSLR brings with it.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
:I got mine last week - turned out to be kind of a bummer, actually. I mostly wanted it to be able to carry around a bigger assortment of movies than the iPad will hold. But, it doesn't recognize my self-powered USB drive as a valid import location, even with the DCIM trick, and importing videos from an SD card only seems to work if the movies are fairly short. Office Space came over fine, but Sherlock Holmes and several other movies with 2+ hour running times didn't. The import would start, but then silently fail after 30 seconds or so. Not sure if it's running time, file size or something else that it's choking on.

Does work fine for photos, so I guess that's something.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #37
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
:I got mine last week - turned out to be kind of a bummer, actually. I mostly wanted it to be able to carry around a bigger assortment of movies than the iPad will hold. But, it doesn't recognize my self-powered USB drive as a valid import location, even with the DCIM trick, and importing videos from an SD card only seems to work if the movies are fairly short. Office Space came over fine, but Sherlock Holmes and several other movies with 2+ hour running times didn't. The import would start, but then silently fail after 30 seconds or so. Not sure if it's running time, file size or something else that it's choking on.

Does work fine for photos, so I guess that's something.
You can play videos from a stick or usb drive you do need to jailbreak though, then download the free ifile app and use that to navigate to your sdcard or memory stick and the film will then open in movies just fine.it's ace. Also you don't need to actually import them to the pad they play straight from the stick/ sd card
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote