Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
"Sharing" options

I want to store my notes and highlights from Kobo directly into an online service like Pocket (or any other service other than the social networks). I'm not interested at all in sharing those notes. I haven't done any hacking on my Kobo (Aura). I wonder what would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Koreader added some limited Evernote support on 23 APR, it is probably still being improved on. Here. But could be what you are looking for. There are two install guides that I posted in this forum, to install Koreader and Coolreader.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Thank you for the response. I saw your guides during my search. Though, I wasn't entirely sure that that was the simplest way to go (I'm just warming up with my Kobo and don't know the ecosystem yet).

I will give it a shot in the weekend (it looks like I have to start with installing something called 'Start Menu').
Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
Thank you for the response. I saw your guides during my search. Though, I wasn't entirely sure that that was the simplest way to go (I'm just warming up with my Kobo and don't know the ecosystem yet).

I will give it a shot in the weekend (it looks like I have to start with installing something called 'Start Menu').
That is one way to do it. If you just want to try Koreader that is probably the easiest way. Just copy the "KoboRoot.tgz" file from the Start Menu download zip file into your device's .kobo folder. Then all you need to do is copy the koreader folder from the nightly build download zip file into your device's .kobo folder. No need to mess with the .png files.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
The Kobo Start Menu does not (yet?) establish a wifi connection. That means you have to connect to the internet with the help of nickel (the original Kobo user interface) and then launch koreader via fmon. Therefore, the start menu is not really helpful in this case.
If you want to install the start menu nonetheless, it needs a (small) additional effort to enable launching Koreader via nickel. There are no detailed instructions yet posted on how to do this. See this post for a short hint. The easiest way to test it with the start menu would be to overwrite the content of .kobo/kbmenu/fmonsh/run_test_script.sh with the content of .kobo/kbmenu/onstrart/koreader_kobo.sh, for instance by copy and rename. You can then start the koreader from nickel by opening run_test_script.sh.
Independent on how you launch the koreader, you might also want to consult the developers' corner on how to keep the wifi connection alive, see esp. the patching threads.
Edit: If I remember correctly, the wifi connection stays alive, if you kill nickel completely (rather then stop it). Right now, I cannot test it myself.
Edit 2: Maybe soulpixel could tell how he is doing it, cf. this post.

Last edited by tshering; 06-06-2014 at 12:37 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Right the internet connection, as I understand it people are starting the browser in Nickel and then launching Koreader with the png icon, and connecting to Evernote that way. So, I guess the OP would be better off using this guide I should have remembered the need to connect to the internet, sorry.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
canpolat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right the internet connection, as I understand it people are starting the browser in Nickel and then launching Koreader with the png icon, and connecting to Evernote that way. So, I guess the OP would be better off using this guide I should have remembered the need to connect to the internet, sorry.

Luck;
Ken
Does this mean I should skip the Start Menu altogether (I'm only interested in storing my notes to Evernote) and only install KOreader? Also, the linked guide helps installing other components (games, etc.) than KOreader. Are they all mandatory? It would be great if the optional steps are marked so that I only install the components I truly need

And tshering, thank you for reminding the internet connection issue.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Koreader builds rely on some version of fmon, to launch the program. If you don't want the Coolreader or the games or the utilities that are included in the KoboLauncher, you can install fmon as a stand alone program:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218283
And follow the instructions there. Then you can add Koreader following the guide.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-06-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The Kobo Start Menu does not (yet?) establish a wifi connection. That means you have to connect to the internet with the help of nickel (the original Kobo user interface) and then launch koreader via fmon. Therefore, the start menu is not really helpful in this case.
If you are looking for wireless on/off scripts, cgm999 wrote some that worked on my Aura HD back in september '13.
Markismus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Markismus
Thank you for the link!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sharing