Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is one allowed to use whatever music one wishes on a web site? Is it not necessary to obtain the permission of the copyright holder? Or is this particular music out of copyright?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Well Steve, at least you are getting traffic. I didn't actually mind the music. I did find an easy way to get rid of it though, just mute your sound settings in the task bar. It might be a low tech solution to a high tech problem but it works for me.
There is a control in the top left of the web site for switching the music off.
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #33
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
People who use background music and blinking text on web pages should be tied up and forced to watch "I Love Lucy" re-runs.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I routinely have my whole system muted unless I specifically want to do something that requires sound, but I'm with HarryT in this regard: I think you need to get some public domain music if you're going to have it at all. Or license something from one of the services out there. Somehow, using someone else's music without licensing it seems to send the wrong message at a site where you're selling your own creative work, don't you think?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm not suggesting that Steve is doing anything wrong! It was just a general question about what the position is when it comes to using music on a website?
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Sorry, HarryT, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. But I'm pretty sure it's a violation of copyright, unless the music is freely available for use or has been licensed. Just like using clip art. And while it might pass on a non-profit site, I'd be especially cautious about this sort of thing on a commercial site.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
People who use background music and blinking text on web pages should be tied up and forced to watch "I Love Lucy" re-runs.
Actually it's one of their fantasies.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is one allowed to use whatever music one wishes on a web site? Is it not necessary to obtain the permission of the copyright holder? Or is this particular music out of copyright?
Well, to answer the question: Strictly speaking, no. I shouldn't be using their music on my site without direct permission, even though I do give credit to the music (on my Reference page), and state that "All rights are reserved." And if Twentieth Century Fox called me up and asked me to remove it, I would do so in a heartbeat.

If Fox decided to play hardball, they could threaten to take me to court, with the accusation that using their music served to increase my profits (or cut into theirs), and therefore they deserved a cut of those profits. Of course, this is tough to prove, and for the record, the resultant check from me would not pay for a bus trip back to New York. So a court would most likely just tell me to remove the music, and maybe pay a fine. The worst risk I take is paying court fees.

If the music were available as a buyable single, things might be different (as the recent RIAA v. Thomas case demonstrated), but in this case, Fox couldn't even demonstrate that the selection had made them much money, so I doubt it would be an issue.

Bottom line: I shouldn't be doing it, and if there was real money at stake, I wouldn't do it. If I even start making real money, it's coming down (along with a few other things in my site which shall remain nameless).

<Handing back my wings>
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you had contacted them first, you could have cut a deal like a free link on your page to their site. I've done something similar on my site. No money involved. The deal would not work for the whole music piece though. If I'm not mistaken you are allowed to use music snippets no longer that 20seconds freely. Cut one on a loop and you're done.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 10-24-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just took a look at the options in Firefox 2.0.0.8 and I see no option for background music.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #41
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Can you turn off Javascript?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Worse.. Rosanne reruns.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Can you turn off JavaScript?
In Firefox, JavaScript can be turned off.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #44
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In Firefox, JavaScript can be turned off.
That might also turn off the music. Steve says it's flash controlled.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #45
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Worse.. Rosanne reruns.
What's Happening! reruns, with commercials advertising "a very special Blossom".

If that's not the seventh circle of hell, it must have a balcony overlooking it.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-24-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote