Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
sprite1900
sprite1900 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
error: communicating with device

Calibre is no longer able to communicate with my Kindle.
I receive the following error:

calibre, version 0.8.2
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'E:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 62, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 278, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 97, in get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 85, in _update_driveinfo_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'E:\\driveinfo.calibre'

apparently, there was a CRC error with the file driveinfo.calibre
I noticed the file had 0 bytes. I was able to delete the file. It is not recreated.

Is there anything I can do to enable Calibre to link to this device?
sprite1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
sprite1900
sprite1900 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The suggested options seemed so drastic, so I searched further for information. Somewhere I found a suggestion to "restart" the Kindle. From the Kindle Menu, I selected Restart, which fully rebooted the Kindle. When the device was again ready, I reconnected the Kindle to the PC and restarted Calibre.

The device was now seen by Calibre with no errors. I looked at the files in the Kindle memory and found driveinfo.calibre recreated and no longer 0 bytes.

Calibre now interfaces correctly with my Kindle.

Thanks for your help.
sprite1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Scully
Scully began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I read the faq page, and don't seem to have any of the problems listed. I tried to reboot my Kindle, too...but that didn't help. I'm still getting the same error message on everything that I'm trying to upload to my Kindle. This didn't used to happen with my old Kindle...but when the screen cracked, they sent me a new one, and the new one is misbehaving. Amazon says the problem is not with the Kindle...does anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this? Thanks!!

Last edited by Scully; 11-15-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Scully

Here's the exact error message I'm getting when I try to upload anything from Calibre to my Kindle:

calibre, version 0.8.26

[Errno 13] Permission denied

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 405, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 263, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 59, in put_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

And here's the error I get after I reboot the Kindle from scratch:

calibre, version 0.8.26

[Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'F:\\'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 332, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 319, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 242, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 375, in sync_booklists
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'F:\\'
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Scully: You need to format your Kindle's memory. Remember that by doing so you erase everything on the kindle.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Scully

Kovid, how do I do that? I can't find any commands that say reformat, only restart or update (which I already did).
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You do it via Windows Explorer (right click on the Kindle drive)
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Scully

I formatted it...and it did the exact same thing. When I tried to upload a book using Calibre, it uploaded 48k and then faulted out...and gave me the error message below. Again.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 405, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 263, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 59, in put_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Scully

I also tried completely rebooting the Kindle (holding the silver button until it made a divot in my finger)...no change.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. It looks like your Kindle is failing.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Scully

It's brand-new out of the box!! :-< They're not going to replace it for this.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
It's brand-new out of the box!! :-< They're not going to replace it for this.
This is not a calibre problem. Either it is a problem with your computer or a problem with the Kindle. If the problem is with the Kindle they will replace it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Scully

Well, I just spent the last 1½ hours on the line with some fellow from Kindle who doesn't speak English worth a damn, and kept having to copy what I was saying to someone else because he didn't know how to reply. (I know that because he accidentally copied my message back to me one time.)

After fighting with him and going through every possible option at least twice, he finally conceded defeat, and is sending me a new Kindle.

So...once it arrives...can I simply plug it into the USB and upload my files from Calibre...or is there some intermediate step I need to be aware of first?

Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just plug it in.