Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
eucalyptus
eucalyptus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Calibre Sort by Size Not Refreshing

Hello! I was wondering if anyone would know how to fix this:

I noticed the other day that some of my ebooks were humongous in size, so I added a 'size' column in Calibre and sorted them by size. Then I started individually opening each folder and trimming the ebooks down in size (removing custom fonts and jpegs from epubs, etc.).

I noticed, though, that even though I restarted Calibre and the computer, Calibre still displays the old size of the files in the 'size' sorting column. It still says, for instance, 82 mb for a file that is now only 2 mb.

How do I make Calibre show the actual, updated file size for each ebook?
eucalyptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The size column in calibre is only updated when you add/remove a book format. IIRC the quality check plugin has an option to scan the library and update that info.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
eucalyptus
eucalyptus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I see, thank you, will check out that plugin!
eucalyptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Did you solve this? I have this issue also.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
Did you solve this? I have this issue also.
That was an ancient post. The answer Kovid gave is still relevant. QC PI
FWIW the size also updates after a Tweak-book (Calibre Editor)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was an ancient post without a confirmed resolution.

I'm working with PDFs rather than ePubs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292065

Kovid's "add/remove a book format" does not seem to work for PDFs.

I've tried QC PI and had no luck. Which option have you seen resolve this size issue?

And I don't think Tweak Books is in the latest Calibre?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot

data is at:

metadata.db
TABLE data
COLUMN uncompressed_size
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
It was an ancient post without a confirmed resolution.

I'm working with PDFs rather than ePubs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292065

Kovid's "add/remove a book format" does not seem to work for PDFs.

I've tried QC PI and had no luck. Which option have you seen resolve this size issue?

And I don't think Tweak Books is in the latest Calibre?

Any help appreciated.
T is the shortcut for the editor, U is the Old Tweak Books (unpack)

Neither work on PDF. (which was not mentioned in post 1)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The size calibre displays is a not a file size, it is the size of the largest of a book's files, and it is updated when you add/remove a format, regardless of what format the book is in.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #10
gingerbeardman
Zealot

I ended up using "restore database" in the Calibre Library menu

thanks all
Old 07-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #11
jindroush
Connoisseur
jindroush is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Refresh size

I KNOW that I'm reopening years old thread.

I have the same problem as OP, I modify files directly in Calibre library directory.

Tried to use (most probably abandoned) QualityCheck plugin, it does not work on current Calibre, because it calls:

formats = db.formats(book_id, index_is_id=True, verify_formats=False)
for fmt in formats.split(','):
db_size = db.sizeof_format(book_id, fmt, index_is_id=True)

but that is implemented in legacy.py as filesystem read, instead of table read. So this check is always 'good', because it compares disk size to disk size and thus does not fix db.

So question, directly to Kovid, if possible: With what call should be db.sizeof_format replaced with to get data from uncompressed_size column?

Thx,
J.
jindroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindroush View Post
I KNOW that I'm reopening years old thread.

I have the same problem as OP, I modify files directly in Calibre library directory.

Tried to use (most probably abandoned) QualityCheck plugin, it does not work on current Calibre, because it calls:
Moderator Notice
The QC PI will need to be updated to support Python 3 used the upcoming Calibre 5 release. One of the active PI developers will do that… I hope

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
jindroush
Connoisseur

Fix

So I replaced this line (in QualityCheck.zip/check_fix.py)

db_size = db.sizeof_format(book_id, fmt, index_is_id=True)

with

db_size = next(db.backend.execute( "SELECT uncompressed_size FROM data WHERE book=? AND format=?", ( book_id, fmt ) ))[0]

which does what I need in QualityCheck/Fix/Check and repair file sizes. I wasn't able to do that using any LibraryDatabase or Cache call.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You use format_metadata() Note that uncompressed_size is not actually used for anything. Sizes of individual format files are read from the filesystem with a cache for performance.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #15
jindroush
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You use format_metadata() Note that uncompressed_size is not actually used for anything. Sizes of individual format files are read from the filesystem with a cache for performance.
Yes, this is what I found out. But the logic in QualityCheck is basically based on assumption that there is a difference between 'uncompressed_size' and actual filesystem size and this is what it checks and tries to repair, and that there is a method of getting 'uncompressed_size'. It seems that this logic is based on the past behaviour of Calibre, and since the plugin seems to be abandoned, it's not working anymore.

With the fix I made, uncompress_size and also the max of all formats are updated, which makes me happy (since I use sqlite db dump of metadata.db to do some other checks externally).

Tags
calibre, refresh, size, sort