Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
arkarain
arkarain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle 4 NT Jailbreak Update Error [_RUNME METHOD DOES NOT WORK!]

Okay so I got custom screensavers on my Kindle a while ago, but did not use the method described by geekmaster.

Instead I used this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvba...eature=mh_lolz

Now when I try to update I get the U006 error, I have tried putting a data.tar.gz and _RUNME file into my Kindle directory and restarting etc. but get no screensaver folder created and still receive an error when updating.

Is there anyway to undo what I have done without having backups or can I restore my Kindle to how it was originally?

I am using the Kindle 4 non touch version.
Thanks,
~arkarain
arkarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you updated to FW 4.1.0, you'll have to follow the directions in the wiki to jailbreak your device via diags, enable usbnet, then you'll have to restore your screensavers over SSH. (Hopefully the stuff you followed made you do a backup somewhere...).

(FW 4.1.0 broke the data.tar.gz stuff on *main*)

If the failing update you're speaking of *is* the 4.1.0 official update, then, yep, what knc1 said, complain to the right people . (You don't necessarily need to do a full downgrade, just to restore the default screensavers).

Next time, try to understand the implications of stuff you're blindly following . [Yes, I'm a bit tired of the whole screensavers mess on the K4, it's not like there wasn't any update/idiot-proof code out there when the K4 was released...]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-26-2012 at 05:34 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkarain View Post
Okay so I got custom screensavers on my Kindle a while ago, but did not use the method described by geekmaster.

Instead I used this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvba...eature=mh_lolz

Now when I try to update I get the U006 error, I have tried putting a data.tar.gz and _RUNME file into my Kindle directory and restarting etc. but get no screensaver folder created and still receive an error when updating.

Is there anyway to undo what I have done without having backups or can I restore my Kindle to how it was originally?

I am using the Kindle 4 non touch version.
Thanks,
~arkarain
Isn't this a question for the author of that video?
I.E: Your in the wrong place.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
arkarain

I HAVE contacted the author of the video, but have no reply as of yet, I posted on here because I may get a faster solution this way and it stands to reason that the author isn't the only one who knows a solution to this.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
arkarain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you updated to FW 4.1.0, you'll have to follow the directions in the wiki to jailbreak your device via diags, enable usbnet, then you'll have to restore your screensavers over SSH. (Hopefully the stuff you followed made you do a backup somewhere...).

(FW 4.1.0 broke the data.tar.gz stuff on *main*)

If the failing update you're speaking of *is* the 4.1.0 official update, then, yep, what knc1 said, complain to the right people . (You don't necessarily need to do a full downgrade, just to restore the default screensavers).

Next time, try to understand the implications of stuff you're blindly following . [Yes, I'm a bit tired of the whole screensavers mess on the K4, it's not like there wasn't any update/idiot-proof code out there when the K4 was released...]
Thanks for the help but the problem is that I'm not able to update to firmware 4.1.0, I actually want to remove my screensavers
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@arkarain: Then see my first paragraph, it also applies on FW 4.0.x. Either restore default screensavers over SSH, or adapt the runme script from the K4 #I_can't_update_to_4.1.0 wiki page to the stuff you did. (That implies you have a backup of the default screensavers somewhere, or extract them from the forensic K4 images).

Or, join the 'hitting a nail with Mjolnir' fellowship, and follow the debricking stuff to downgrade to 4.0.x.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-26-2012 at 05:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
arkarain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@arkarain: Then see my first paragraph, it also applies on FW 4.0.x. Either restore default screensavers over SSH, or adapt the runme script from the K4 #I_can't_update_to_4.1.0 wiki page to the stuff you did. (That implies you have a backup of the default screensavers somewhere, or extract them from the forensic K4 images).

Or, join the 'hitting a nail with Mjolnir' fellowship, and follow the debricking stuff to downgrade to 4.0.x.
Thanks for the clarification, I'm a bit of a noob to this kind of stuff and probably shouldn't have used such a complex method in the first place like you said. I'll try the methods you suggested if I can work out how to do them :P
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the help but the problem is that I'm not able to update to firmware 4.1.0, I actually want to remove my screensavers
All you have to do is revert the process shown in the video (where the author uses a cheat sheet copied from a MR thread without any credits given).

Make the root of the filesystem read/write:
mntroot rw

The K4 (and K5) are "dual boot" machines - your booted into the "diags" system (stored on mmcblk0p2)
So you have to mount the "main" system (stored on mmcblk0p1) to make changes to it.

The video tells you to use /mnt/mmc-base - So I will assume it is still available (I don't have a K4 to check) here.
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base

And in reverse order - - -
Those directions created a symbolic link:
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screen_saver /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
So remove it:
rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Those directions had you save the originals by moving them to a new name:
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old

So move it back now:
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Those directions had you make a screensaver directory -
Get rid of that by removing it and all of its contents:
rm -fr /mnt/us/screensaver

To accomplish the above, you had to make two system changes:
you mounted the "main" file system;
you made the "diags" file system read/write;

Both of those changes will be reset when you restart you kindle.

Now all you have to do is watch your favorite video again at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvba...eature=mh_lolz
only when the author gets to the part of cut&pasting commands that he does not have a clue about - instead use the above bold font commands.

README:
The video references /mnt/us/screensavers in the "DIAGS" file system - which may be an error unless the "DIAGS" mode has mmcblk0p4 mounted at the same point that the "MAIN" mode has it mounted.
(mmcblk0p4 is the device that holds the FAT-32 file system that the user sees as the "USB storage" over the cable when in normal operation.)
PS: It is not a "propriatary USB cable".

You can check if the above is so by entering the command:
mount
without any arguments and read if/where /dev/mmcblk0p4 is mounted (and if it is mounted read/write).

Last edited by knc1; 06-26-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
arkarain

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
All you have to do is revert the process shown in the video (where the author uses a cheat sheet copied from a MR thread without any credits given).

Make the root of the filesystem read/write:
mntroot rw

The K4 (and K5) are "dual boot" machines - your booted into the "diags" system (stored on mmcblk0p2)
So you have to mount the "main" system (stored on mmcblk0p1) to make changes to it.

The video tells you to use /mnt/mmc-base - So I will assume it is still available (I don't have a K4 to check) here.
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base

And in reverse order - - -
Those directions created a symbolic link:
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screen_saver /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
So remove it:
rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Those directions had you save the originals by moving them to a new name:
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old

So move it back now:
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Those directions had you make a screensaver directory -
Get rid of that by removing it and all of its contents:
rm -fr /mnt/us/screensaver

To accomplish the above, you had to make two system changes:
you mounted the "main" file system;
you made the "diags" file system read/write;

Both of those changes will be reset when you restart you kindle.

Now all you have to do is watch your favorite video again at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvba...eature=mh_lolz
only when the author gets to the part of cut&pasting commands that he does not have a clue about - instead use the above bold font commands.

README:
The video references /mnt/us/screensavers in the "DIAGS" file system - which may be an error unless the "DIAGS" mode has mmcblk0p4 mounted at the same point that the "MAIN" mode has it mounted.
(mmcblk0p4 is the device that holds the FAT-32 file system that the user sees as the "USB storage" over the cable when in normal operation.)
PS: It is not a "propriatary USB cable".

You can check if the above is so by entering the command:
mount
without any arguments and read if/where /dev/mmcblk0p4 is mounted (and if it is mounted read/write).
Thanks a lot! Only got a chance to try this just now and it worked brilliantly first time, only note I have to someone else who needs to try this is that the root password mario may have changed so you should use this link http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html
and look under the 4.0.1 part.

Thanks a lot for the help I would not have been able to figure that out on my own and I doubt the Youtube user would either

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Only got a chance to try this just now and it worked brilliantly first time, only note I have to someone else who needs to try this is that the root password mario may have changed so you should use this link http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html
and look under the 4.0.1 part.

Thanks a lot for the help I would not have been able to figure that out on my own and I doubt the Youtube user would either

Post it the comments section of that youtube thing if you wish.
(You might want to edit out my non-technical comments)
Plus your own additions above.

It might save some other people grief.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
arkarain

Quote:
Post it the comments section of that youtube thing if you wish.
(You might want to edit out my non-technical comments)
Plus your own additions above.

It might save some other people grief.
Thanks for the permission, I didn't want to steal code without crediting people like someone we know ಠ_ಠ.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for the permission, I didn't want to steal code without crediting people like someone we know ಠ_ಠ.
That video even shows the author looking up: "ENABLE_DIAGS" on some web-site . . .
Three guesses where, the first two don't count.

But just because I was pissed off when I wrote the directions doesn't mean we have to spread the anger around...
Go ahead and clean-up the non-professional comments I made.

The descriptions of "what and why" might help other people - do with them as you see fit.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I HAVE contacted the author of the video, but have no reply as of yet, I posted on here because I may get a faster solution this way and it stands to reason that the author isn't the only one who knows a solution to this.
There are many pages of comments on that video page, many complaining about problems. Too bad he does not care enough to respond (unless he does not understand how it worked but just blindly followed instructions he found here)...

It would be nice if people who make videos give a little credit to those who CREATED the information he is using in his video.

Also, on the K3 with diags SSH installed at the factory, the entry barrier was MUCH TOO LOW for noob "developers", and there are a LOT of poorly tested (even dangerous) hacks created by those who may not have tested them adequately (especially making them "future proof" to not damage kindles with firmware updates).

At least with the hacks that need a jailbreak (update*.bin files), the author of the hack needs to learn enough to package and sign his hack for each kindle version, which implies that he knows enough to test it properly.

BEWARE the source of your hacks, and check what problems others have had with it (especially firmware version incompatibilities), before just blindly following instructions.

ALSO, it is a good idea to treat these instructions as a GUIDE. When following a cooking recipe, you need to know enough about cooking to NOT set your hair or clothing on fire, and kindle HACKING requires a similar skill set.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There are many pages of comments on that video page, many complaining about problems. Too bad he does not care enough to respond (unless he does not understand how it worked but just blindly followed instructions he found here)...

It would be nice if people who make videos give a little credit to those who CREATED the information he is using in his video.
Credit where credit is due is always nice.
And in this case, perhaps that author's readers would have known where to find the answer to the problem the author had created.

arkarain updated the comments section of that video, so that may lessen one source of these "E006 Help Me" posts.

I left the anger in my post on purpose, unprofessional as it was, because I decided that it didn't hurt readers to know that having to fix someone else's plagiarized hack pisses a person off.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Credit where credit is due is always nice.
And in this case, perhaps that author's readers would have known where to find the answer to the problem the author had created.

arkarain updated the comments section of that video, so that may lessen one source of these "E006 Help Me" posts.

I left the anger in my post on purpose, unprofessional as it was, because I decided that it didn't hurt readers to know that having to fix someone else's plagiarized hack pisses a person off.
Like the Russian website that even copied my personal screenshots from the Select Boot thread (and my custom u-boot images and profiles)? At least he relented (a little) and provided a link-back later, but no mention of "geekmaster" (or other devs here, or even MobileRead) anywhere on his web page.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fail, kindle, u006, update