Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, I'm saying that those files will still work in all current readers.
I still think it is wrong to call these files ePub files. We shoud have another term for "nearly ePub and happens to work for now" files.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I still think it is wrong to call these files ePub files. We shoud have another term for "nearly ePub and happens to work for now" files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #18
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
So what will happen when a new reader that is more restrictive in what is accepted is released?
Let me be brutally honest: Who cares? The fact is that strive as it may, EPUB as it is now is not an universal format and books in it must be modified for different implementations (e.g. Adobe DE as implemented on PRS-505 will not display international characters unless the EPUB is specifically modified, it will crash the Reader on certain CSS constructs [sadly, I can't remember what it was, but it "worked" quite dependably], etc.; other implementations have their own specific quirks that need to be addressed). Does it really matter if there is one more thing to fix?

Also, get back from the academic paradise to the real world. As Kovid said, most sources are not valid XHTML. The conversion process then must decide whether it will be strict or whether it will be usable (consider what would happen to a web browser which refused to render invalid pages!).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Umm come up with an automated way to take arbitrarily bad HTML ad produce standards compliant XHTML from it while still preserving its meaning to human readers and I will be happy to implement it.
Hmm... If it can be displayed by a (X)HTML viewer, it can be converted to valid XHTML, can't it? I mean, if there are unclosed or invalid tags, the viewer already has to do something about them, so it can be done. There is the problem that different viewers might do different things, but that's the problem of non-compliant sources

In practice, I guess you could add a flag to "force ePUB compliance" or issue a warning if the generated ePUB is non-compliant.

I'm still an idealist, and think that we should press Adobe to make their reader standards-compliant and hope that other companies, groups or individuals develop independent standards-compliant ePUB readers. Then, when it comes to convincing someone to fix a bug in their readers, it's probably better to say "it does not work with this standards-compliant files" than "it does not work with this file that happens to work in ADE".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Also, get back from the academic paradise to the real world. As Kovid said, most sources are not valid XHTML. The conversion process then must decide whether it will be strict or whether it will be usable (consider what would happen to a web browser which refused to render invalid pages!).
But the principle on the web has always been to be strict and correct in what you generate but allow a lot of mistake when rendering. And that is exactly the principle I have argued for here. A tool that are used by a lot of people should not generate files that are not standard compliant and still claim that they are.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
But the principle on the web has always been to be strict and correct in what you generate
You must be posting to a different internet than me. The principle of many HTML-generating tools and programs seems to be "churn out any old slop and let the browsers worry about it".

That said, I agree with you in principle but not in practice

*yes, I know the difference between internet and WWW. I just don't care*

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-20-2009 at 06:24 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Jellby: There's a lot more to valid XHTML than just closed tags. Closed tags are needed for valid XML (and calibre does close all tags). In fact I'm pretty sure calibre will take arbitrarily bad input HTML and return valid XML, though not valid XHTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Let me be brutally honest: Who cares? The fact is that strive as it may, EPUB as it is now is not an universal format and books in it must be modified for different implementations (e.g. Adobe DE as implemented on PRS-505 will not display international characters unless the EPUB is specifically modified, it will crash the Reader on certain CSS constructs [sadly, I can't remember what it was, but it "worked" quite dependably], etc.; other implementations have their own specific quirks that need to be addressed). Does it really matter if there is one more thing to fix?

I get accented characters with ePub just fine on my 505 using Fontin (font family).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I get accented characters with ePub just fine on my 505 using Fontin (font family).
Exactly my point.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Seems that the creator of this thread didn't have answer for his/her problem and I didn't find any other threads from the whole forums with this topic.

When I run my epub file through the epubchecker, I get this warning:

ERROR: book.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(9): unfinished element

I checked every element in opf file and every one of them is closed. I also compared with other epub books (e.g. Project Gutenberg) and didn't find any significant difference. I exported this e-book from InDesign book file. What could be the problem? My ebook works perfectly in Digital Editions and Sony PRS-505 but I'm still curious to know what causes the error.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #26
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Seems that the creator of this thread didn't have answer for his/her problem and I didn't find any other threads from the whole forums with this topic.

I checked every element in opf file and every one of them is closed. I also compared with other epub books (e.g. Project Gutenberg) and didn't find any significant difference. I exported this e-book from InDesign book file. What could be the problem? My ebook works perfectly in Digital Editions and Sony PRS-505 but I'm still curious to know what causes the error.
The (9) indicates that the problem is occurring in the 9th line of the content.opf file. Double-check that particular element. I'm sure you'll find some minor error with it (bad reference maybe).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
What founds from my 9th line is:

</metadata>

and it's closing tag for line 3:

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

Can't see what's the problem. Inside this element are those <dc:title>blaa</dc:title> and all of them are properly tagged as well. Could it be that I'm missing some important attributes in my metadata element?
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #28
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Hmm. Try deleting that line and rekeying it. There might be a weird line break character or something that the validator doesn't like. Otherwise, without seeing the file I don't know. Is it something you can upload here?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unfinished element doesn't indicate that the element is unclosed, but that it is missing required sub-elements or attributes.

You probably need to specify some more metadata to be valid.

Quote:

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
What founds from my 9th line is:

</metadata>

and it's closing tag for line 3:

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

Can't see what's the problem. Inside this element are those <dc:title>blaa</dc:title> and all of them are properly tagged as well. Could it be that I'm missing some important attributes in my metadata element?

I get similar errors on a cover image I have - like you there is nothing obviously wrong with the line in question.
Mind you, ADE will display it but only with the qualifier (this file may not display properly).
(Have same errors with books generated via Sigil - so one wonders about ePubcheck itself).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote