Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #61
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates is currently free on Amazon. It's listed as #1 in a series, but each book is a stand alone story without recurring characters.

A group of would-be Mt. Fuji hikers decide to camp overnight in Aokigahara, Japan's infamous suicide forest. I enjoyed the book. It's more about a creepy atmosphere than gore.

Sounds good.

-- Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Richard Laymon's Flesh is 99 cents on Amazon. Another Laymon book, The Lake is $1.99.

If you haven't read Richard Laymon yet, you should. His books are the best kind of schlock. Silly and eye-rollingly dumb, but entertaining even so. (To make things even better, the reviews for Flesh have a fair number that are actually for a Ruth Rendell Inspector Wexford book.)

I agree entirely with your assessment.

He's a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I think I've read every novel he's published, even the few published after his death.
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #63
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

He's a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I think I've read every novel he's published, even the few published after his death.
Have you tried Graham Masterton, Shaun Hutson & Guy N Smith?

Can't beat the book equivalent of a creature feature B Movie
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #64
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
There's been a selection of Richard Laymon's books for just 99p at Amazon UK for a while now.

I've only just realised that they're from Headline, the same publisher that's had 10-15 of Dean Koontz's older novels at the same price for over a year.

Last edited by Kieran Seymour; 09-14-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

I've read only a few novels by Graham Masterton. I liked what I read, but I have yet to fully explore his work.

Shaun Hutson (Mister Gore ) - I haven't read anything by him, but I know of his reputation.

I did, once upon a time, read something by Guy N Smith, but I can't remember what it was.
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
There's been a selection of Richard Laymon's books for just 99p at Amazon UK for a while now.

I've only just realised that they're from Headline, the same publisher that's had 10-15 of Dean Koontz's older novels at the same price for over a year.
Yeah, looking at Amazon US, there were a few other Laymon books in the $1.49-$1.99 range:

To Wake the Dead
In the Dark
Blood Games
Into the Fire
Dark Mountain
Cuts

In the Dark was my first Richard Laymon book and it's probably still my favorite. For me, his books teeter between stupid and stupidly entertaining. I remember disliking Come Out Tonight and One Rainy Night.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-14-2017 at 10:53 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

Neil Gaiman has made me curious to read Guy N. Smith's Crabs.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

My good Dr., have you read Laymon's Alarms/Alarums? I don't think it has had an official North America release.

I guess it doesn't help you if it is not available. But hey, there may be a Laymon book out there you haven't read yet. I think there's a few others out there that haven't been released in the US yet.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #69
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My good Dr., have you read Laymon's Alarms/Alarums? I don't think it has had an official North America release.

I guess it doesn't help you if it is not available. But hey, there may be a Laymon book out there you haven't read yet. I think there's a few others out there that haven't been released in the US yet.

At one time, I collected Laymon in the Headline hardcover editions. (I no longer own these.)

I do, however, have one copy of the First American paperback edition of "The Cellar," and one copy of the First American paperback edition of "The Woods are Dark." Both are in VG-F condition. (One of them has 'proof copy' on the cover, but I can't remember which one. My book collection is in a climate-controlled storage at this time.)

I'll have to check on the plot of "Alarms," to determine if I've read it or not.

My two favorite Laymon titles are "FunLand" and "Resurrection Dreams."
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #70
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates is currently free on Amazon. It's listed as #1 in a series, but each book is a stand alone story without recurring characters.

A group of would-be Mt. Fuji hikers decide to camp overnight in Aokigahara, Japan's infamous suicide forest. I enjoyed the book. It's more about a creepy atmosphere than gore.
I've read this one, it's really good! Several of his books come up free periodically. The Catacombs is also good, but Helltown was a letdown.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #71
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Letters to the Damned by Austin Crawley is up for 99 cents. It's particularly good if you like creepy supernatural. About a black post box in a small English village where people write requests for favors to their dead relatives and get responses.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I've read this one, it's really good! Several of his books come up free periodically. The Catacombs is also good, but Helltown was a letdown.
Yeah, I intend to read more of his World's Scariest Places series. But I heard they follow a certain formula, so I'm taking a long pause between books.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Letters to the Damned by Austin Crawley is up for 99 cents. It's particularly good if you like creepy supernatural. About a black post box in a small English village where people write requests for favors to their dead relatives and get responses.
Hey, that sounds pretty good! I snatched up a copy.

Here's an Amazon link: Letters to the Damned by Austin Crawley
Old 09-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just got it for my 'Kindle Unlimited' account for "free".

Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The first three books of Sergei Lukyanenko's horror/dark fantasy Night Watch series are $0.99 a piece. The finale is still ten bucks though.

Night Watch

Day Watch

Twilight Watch

The Last Watch (full price)