Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Apple iBooks V3.1.1 released

It's been almost half a year since Apple last updated its popular iBooks e-book reading app. While this update doesn't introduce anything dramatically new, it does improve compatibility with iOS and iCloud, according to the changelog.

I could wax poetics here on about the features that iBooks has (or lacks) compared to other e-book reading software, but possibly the most important factor in determining its worth is whether you want to read e-books tied into Apple's iBook ecosystem.

iPad and iPhone users can give the update a try by following this link.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's been almost half a year since Apple last updated its popular iBooks e-book reading app. While this update doesn't introduce anything dramatically new, it does improve compatibility with iOS and iCloud, according to the changelog.

I could wax poetics here on about the features that iBooks has (or lacks) compared to other e-book reading software, but possibly the most important factor in determining its worth is whether you want to read e-books tied into Apple's iBook ecosystem.

iPad and iPhone users can give the update a try by following this link.
I have no desire to use Apple's Ecosystem.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have no desire to use Apple's Ecosystem.
Apache
Isn't it good you don't have to, even if you *do* use iBooks?

I am still annoyed by the wasted space in margins on the iphone (though its much better than it used to be) but I like the capacity for bookmark sync, whether its an itunes bought book, or not.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Could you always tap the margins to switch to the next page?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I've always liked iBooks for its "book-like" presentation. It definitely helped me ween myself off of paper books and made the transition to ebooks much easier. I like the virtual page turning.

And then Apple's DRM for the books weened me off of buying my e-books from their store and encouraged me to shop at Kobobooks and other places.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Cheerful Hamster
Cheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 5 NT
This seems like a good place for this question. An independent publisher recently sent me an email saying they were now releasing ebooks, and said that Kindle and "other formats" would be released. They recommended the "iBooks" version because it had "more formatting options" that made the reading experience closer to a pbook. This is the first I've heard of this - I know that the iBooks app has special fancy features (e.g. animated page turns), but I assumed that support for basic nuts-and-bolts stuff like verse, tables, lists, and all the other bog standard html was just as piss-poor on the Apple platform as everywhere else. Is this mistaken? Does Apple have their act together more than say ADE or KF-8?
Cheerful Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a special, iBooks-only format that allows for highly interactive multimedia e-books. There should be some information here. I only saw/bought a couple (for guitar/ukulele teaching) and they behaved more like an app than a book, but were offered in the regular iBooks store, with a note that they require a newer iBooks version. This may be what the publisher referred to.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Cheerful Hamster
Cheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenCheerful Hamster has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 5 NT
@Mivo - Thank you, that's very interesting. I wish Amazon would be that proactive with the Kindle format - they could easily release a free Kindle book creation app with support for basic formatting styles.
Cheerful Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I no longer have an i device but am preparing a library of ebooks for my mother, who does (but has never used it for reading).

so, newbie question of the day, if I send her a bunch of non-DRM ebook files she could read either on an ipad (in iBooks) or on her computer (not relevant to this post), would there be any issue with her being able to load and access them in iBooks? More specifically, side-loading books not purchased from apple, is that an issue?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
More specifically, side-loading books not purchased from apple, is that an issue?
No issue at all. They can be added through iTunes, will be synced to the iPhone/iPad and show up in iBooks. Works flawlessly with DRM-free books, regardless of where they come from.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Even with this latest update I find iBooks (app) to be woefully lacking in many areas. Those areas overshadow the few good things it does. I would look at other ebook reading software apps that you can install on your mother's ipad - you will find them much more user/reader friendly.

Try checking out the "Ebook Readers/Apple Devices" section of this forum for the largest thread...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Even with this latest update I find iBooks (app) to be woefully lacking in many areas. Those areas overshadow the few good things it does.
What essential features do you feel it is lacking?

I do most of my reading on the Kobo Glo currently, but I was just thinking about how I use it and I didn't come up with anything that I do on the Glo that I can't do in iBooks. I may just have simple needs, though!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oooohhhh.....where to start...

User configurable formatting, ease of use (loading books), display of publisher formatting, annotation/dictionary/bookmark functionality, parental controls, library management...

I know those are broad areas and you are looking for specifics, but I really don't want to write a book...lol

Some of my biggest issues with ibooks is from an ebook creator perspective...there are so many quirks and workarounds that have to be followed to get the book to look the way you want...and if you do all that, then the book won't look right in other readers.

For those who just want to open a book and read probably the best way to see how much ibooks lacks in functionality, is to experience an app that does things right. Then when you go back to ibooks you will be constantly trying to do something and reminding yourself that ibooks just doesn't do it.

I would recommend looking at Marvin for iPad...it's free. The iPhone version will be released in a couple weeks. Just be warned...it'll ruin you on using any other reader app...

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-23-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I use Kindle and iBooks on both iPad and iPad mini - both work, both let me read easily and comfortably.

I've got Marvin, tried it and carried on reading in Kindle and iBooks because that's what I wanted - I suppose Marvin is great for the tinkerers as usual but a lot of people have books to read them and never got too bent out of shape because paper books couldn't have the page background changed, fonts tweaked etc... some of us are just happy reading on our eInk readers and tablets... each to their own but don't write off an App until you've tried it, often simple is just great...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I use Kindle and iBooks on both iPad and iPad mini - both work, both let me read easily and comfortably.

I've got Marvin, tried it and carried on reading in Kindle and iBooks because that's what I wanted - I suppose Marvin is great for the tinkerers as usual but a lot of people have books to read them and never got too bent out of shape because paper books couldn't have the page background changed, fonts tweaked etc... some of us are just happy reading on our eInk readers and tablets... each to their own but don't write off an App until you've tried it, often simple is just great...

Sure, some people certainly prefer simple...no worries with that, they are welcome to their choice. But when comparing capabilities of ebook readers....ibooks is to Marvin as:

is to