Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #31
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Certainly a good reason to update. You can't enjoy your device in its present state.
Yeah, I got fed up, reset, and updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Someone who does it, please report on how much fun it is to unroot & reroot.

Thanks.
It wasn't bad. I did the soft key reset (power off, then hold N and Volume + while powering back on) then ran the update, and the new auto-nooter. The process was fairly quick, took a little longer because I got an Android setup prompt after the initial reset which confused me, but after a little checking I was reset and ready for the update. The new auto-nooter includes the fix to enable the Market, so it was much quicker than the first time I rooted, well under an hour this time. The annoying part is re-downloading/installing my apps, and even that didn't take long.

Crossing my fingers WiFi is fixed. It still doesn't connect instantly when waking the NC up, but now connects within a minute or two rather than requiring I turn Wifi off and back on before it will connect like it used to. Haven't done enough surfing yet to see if I still get random disconnects.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #32
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Meglet, have you considered just grabbing another from the store to test the issue, and see if it's just your unit?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

My NC is unrooted so I did the 1.0.1 update. (Is "unrooted" the right term?) I wasn't having any WiFi issues, so I don't know if it helped those who were/are. I'm still very unimpressed with the web browser. Even the Nook page at B&N does not display correctly. (Look carefully and you will see layers overlapping one another. Very unprofessional looking.) You would think that B&N would have at the very least tested their browser with their own page! And I'm still annoyed that selecting the mobile CNN web site defaults to an iPad page! Gross....Gasp, choke, puke....applesauce now all over the floor.

No big deal though as I bought my NC to actually read on--Imagine that!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #34
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My NC is unrooted so I did the 1.0.1 update. (Is "unrooted" the right term?) I wasn't having any WiFi issues, so I don't know if it helped those who were/are. I'm still very unimpressed with the web browser. Even the Nook page at B&N does not display correctly. (Look carefully and you will see layers overlapping one another. Very unprofessional looking.) You would think that B&N would have at the very least tested their browser with their own page! And I'm still annoyed that selecting the mobile CNN web site defaults to an iPad page! Gross....Gasp, choke, puke....applesauce now all over the floor.

I would think that the term "unrooted" would imply that it has been rooted and then unrooted - i.e. gone through the process from being in a rooted state to a not rooted state. A more proper term for an NC that has never been rooted might be "not rooted". However I'm just a country boy so what do I know?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #35
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Meglet, have you considered just grabbing another from the store to test the issue, and see if it's just your unit?
If it gets bad again, I'll certainly exchange it. However, since updating the wireless has behaved much better get the random dropouts last night like I had been before updating, and the time to connect to wifi after waking from sleep isn't unreasonable.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #36
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Well, that's good news, Meglet. BTW, snooping around your website, I'd have to give the good old HDHomeRun (+SageTV) the thumbs up for my best device in the last 5 years, with the WDTV Live Plus a close second.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #37
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:

I agree with you here. I will go so far as to say that the dismal web browsing experience is the main reason why I decided to root. I did buy the NC to read in color, but a lot of my color reading content is through news sites and news blogs. If those pages aren't displayed properly, then it makes the reading experience less than desirable.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #38
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
Meglet,
I am having similar problems with the WiFi; glad to read the firmware update helps.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #39
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
My NC was rooted and I reset it and erased the content to bring it completely back to scratch. After that I ran the update and all went well. Then I ran the latest autonooter which ran even better than the first version of it. At the end of this whole process, I realized it wasn't too hard to get it to this point, but my Nook froze up and would not restart by holding the power button in any fashion. I left it alone for a few minutes and then plugged it in to charge. It came back on and has been working just fine since. I will say that I much prefer then newer market found in the other thread here over the one that AutoNooter installs.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #40
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hm...the website doesn't mention a marketplace, I thought they were going to roll it out in the first update?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #41
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone lost the functionality of their "n" home button? Mine is not working at all. I'm not sure when this actually happened...whether it was after updating the original Nook software or after running autonooter...but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has the problem.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter.
RONCO
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The RONCO Autonooter.
Not sure which is worse; that or Nubco's Dentist-in-a-Box.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not sure which is worse; that or Nubco's Dentist-in-a-Box.
My all time favorite was the home haircut kit that attached to a vacuum. You could also buy the RONCO spray on hair in order to replace any that got ripped out of your scalp!