Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #46
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
According to the following link, Nook Color ordered now will be shipped 11/26/2010. My order should be shipped on 11/19/2010. Can't wait. Staff from B&N store said they'll be receiving the Nook Color in the store next week.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...715642#U715642
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #47
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do they use high end components like the Color? The ones I've seen specs for, don't.
yes..
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #48
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Some of the October orders had their CCs charged over the weekend, and an email stating "Your Nookcolor Ships Soon!"

Hope I get that email soon!
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #49
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
yes..
Give an example. Because we don't know of one besides the Archos 70 which doesn't have the quality screen of the color nook.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #50
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
Give an example. Because we don't know of one besides the Archos 70 which doesn't have the quality screen of the color nook.
when you say "quality screen of the color nook" what do you mean precisely? I'm not looking for words like "better" or "prettier" but specs
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #51
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
when you say "quality screen of the color nook" what do you mean precisely? I'm not looking for words like "better" or "prettier" but specs
The nook color has a higher quality screen than most android tablets because (taken from the B&N homepage tech specs):

•Stunning 7 inch VividView™ Color Touchscreen shows more than 16 million colors on the best-in-class IPS** display.
•Incredibly clear, sharp text and images from an unsurpassed high resolution display at 1024 x 600 delivering 169 pixels per inch (PPI).

Plus it has a wide viewing angle, and a special layer on the screen to reduce glare. Also, it is a capacitive, multitouch screen.

Tablets like the Archos 70 for example have a resolution of only 800 x 480, and the pixel density is less than the nook color.

The even cheaper tablets have resistive screens and poor viewing angles.

I believe the screen on the nook color really sets it apart from the competition, with the exception of the ipad. I have tried the Pandigital Novel, Cruz Reader, Cruz Tablet, Archos 7HT, and various other devices, and none of them come close to the screen quality (along with other features) of the ipad (which my wife owns) or the nook color (based on the specs).

Last edited by Noah98; 11-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #52
ashleydelavane
ashleydelavane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook original, Kindle 3
Most of he other Android tablets are much inferior in screen quality, color saturation and generally in quality. Also, some of the better ones require you to subscribe to a minimum $30.00 a month data plan. If a want a computer that does everything, I use a laptop. Even the iPad stopped cutting it for me-did a lot but not enough. I simply want to use the Nook Color for reading. Later on if B&N want to come out with a full color tablet that does everything then fair enough. But for now my only real concern will be the battery life.
ashleydelavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #53
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The nook color has a higher quality screen than most android tablets because (taken from the B&N homepage tech specs):

•Stunning 7 inch VividView™ Color Touchscreen shows more than 16 million colors on the best-in-class IPS** display.
•Incredibly clear, sharp text and images from an unsurpassed high resolution display at 1024 x 600 delivering 169 pixels per inch (PPI).

Plus it has a wide viewing angle, and a special layer on the screen to reduce glare. Also, it is a capacitive, multitouch screen.

Tablets like the Archos 70 for example have a resolution of only 800 x 480, and the pixel density is less than the nook color.

The even cheaper tablets have resistive screens and poor viewing angles.

I believe the screen on the nook color really sets it apart from the competition, with the exception of the ipad. I have tried the Pandigital Novel, Cruz Reader, Cruz Tablet, Archos 7HT, and various other devices, and none of them come close to the screen quality (along with other features) of the ipad (which my wife owns).
none of that is unique, or new, or make the device's price attractive for the features. i dont really want to argue. I really hope people who ordered nook color are happy. I'm pretty sure that 100% (or close to it) of people who did, who talk of "high quality components" have not held it in their hands or seen it live and are just speculating that it will have high quality components. your last paragraph illustrates it best: "nook color sets it apart" and then you go to compare plethora of tablets but nook color is not among them (and on top of that you almost say "just go with ipad").

I'm not buying nook color. If I was looking for something like that I would go with exact same android tablet, but unlocked, so from other manufacturer. Reason being I could do all the stuff nook color can do, plus I'm free to install alternatives to b&n on it (like amazon). I dont buy into "high quality components" - maybe it does have them, I'm pretty sure people that state that it does just dont know that at the moment and we wont actually know that before 11/19.

One other thing is I've been on the android side in the "apple vs android" discussion, but I'm slowly starting to think that android is overhyped altogether. so perhaps it is worth paying a bit more for ipad (and still get both b&n and amazon software on it) if you need that sort of device.

I'm staying with my good old nook 1 which I paid $259 for. And I still think it's a great device, I would not trade it for kindle 3 or anything else that's out there (still!). It would be great if b&n release soft updates more often to make it faster, make the software more user friendly and open the development to the community.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #54
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydelavane View Post
Most of he other Android tablets are much inferior in screen quality, color saturation and generally in quality.
What do you base your opinion on? Have you held it in your hand and compared it with, say, ipad side by side? how about samsung galaxy tab (they make good lcd tvs, should know a bit more about screen quality than b&n)?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #55
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
What do you base your opinion on? Have you held it in your hand and compared it with, say, ipad side by side? how about samsung galaxy tab (they make good lcd tvs, should know a bit more about screen quality than b&n)?
actually it is true, most of the android tablets on the market tend to use first or second generation Android Softoware like v1.6. Most do tend to use low screen resolution like an 800 x 400 have use lower end processor's.

It's not a knock on Android. Android 2.1 and 2.2 are the latest firmware that are used by high end Android devices. Both the Nook color and Samsung Galaxy S Tab are using high end specs.

The beauty and the drawbacks of Android is that it's open. Anyone can use it. So some cheap Budget company can use the operating system, use an old version and try to ride the latest Android's coat tails. They kind of pollute the pool.

But make no mistake high end Android devices are nothing short of spectacular.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #56
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
it's screen resolution is pretty telling 1024 x 600 is really sharp.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #57
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
it's screen resolution is pretty telling 1024 x 600 is really sharp.
that's what samsung galaxy has and it's out already. while it is more expensive, I look at this list and I think we'd have a lot more to compare in a month or two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...blet_computers
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #58
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The beauty and the drawbacks of Android is that it's open. Anyone can use it. So some cheap Budget company can use the operating system, use an old version and try to ride the latest Android's coat tails. They kind of pollute the pool.

But make no mistake high end Android devices are nothing short of spectacular.
not really off topic, and not really serious but I can't help to agree with some of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #59
ashleydelavane
ashleydelavane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook original, Kindle 3
Wow!! What a lot of comparisons between the Nook and other Android Devices!!! Maybe there will be other Android devices out there in the future that can look and perform better than the Nook, and can do a trillion things...with a battery life of 2.5 hours. I would never want that. I get smaller devices for portability-not too portable if you have to plug the damned thing in every few hours. There has to be a balance between running tons of apps, surfing the web....as opposed to just reading offline books and mags. The Nook was never designed as an Android Tablet device for these good reasons. You can get any Android device, some are really cheap but look horrible, are sluggish and with horrible battery life. You can pay more and get devices like the Galaxy that can do everything. But then you need data plans more often than not and the battery life is still less than half of the Nook.. I simply do not want a device that can do so much , when all I want is to be able to read. I think the comparisons can get really fuzzy when we are not really comparing like with like.
ashleydelavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #60
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
none of that is unique, or new, or make the device's price attractive for the features. i dont really want to argue. I really hope people who ordered nook color are happy. I'm pretty sure that 100% (or close to it) of people who did, who talk of "high quality components" have not held it in their hands or seen it live and are just speculating that it will have high quality components. your last paragraph illustrates it best: "nook color sets it apart" and then you go to compare plethora of tablets but nook color is not among them (and on top of that you almost say "just go with ipad").

I'm not buying nook color. If I was looking for something like that I would go with exact same android tablet, but unlocked, so from other manufacturer. Reason being I could do all the stuff nook color can do, plus I'm free to install alternatives to b&n on it (like amazon). I dont buy into "high quality components" - maybe it does have them, I'm pretty sure people that state that it does just dont know that at the moment and we wont actually know that before 11/19.

One other thing is I've been on the android side in the "apple vs android" discussion, but I'm slowly starting to think that android is overhyped altogether. so perhaps it is worth paying a bit more for ipad (and still get both b&n and amazon software on it) if you need that sort of device.

I'm staying with my good old nook 1 which I paid $259 for. And I still think it's a great device, I would not trade it for kindle 3 or anything else that's out there (still!). It would be great if b&n release soft updates more often to make it faster, make the software more user friendly and open the development to the community.
I don't think you actually read my post. The only thing I was comparing was THE SCREEN. And, I don't know what you mean by "and then you go to compare plethora of tablets but nook color is not among them." The plethora of tablets that I listed all have inferior screens to the nook color (and yes, I am going by the specs and the videos of the nook color vs. my experience with the others).

As far as the ipad goes, it is absolutely a better tablet. However, the ipad is $500 and the nook color is $250. Also, the Samsung Galaxy pad is even more expensive than the ipad.

I really don't care if you agree with me or not (although I could do without your nasty response to my post). However, don't attack what I wrote unless you attack the point that I was actually making.

By the way, my point was that I (and others who are posting here) believe that $250 is a great price for such a nice screen, which to me is the most important component on the device (name another $250 tablet with a screen that is as good or better). Also, why are you criticizing people for pre-ordering? We are not stupid, and realize that we can only go by specs now since we can't hold the device yet. And, if I don't like the device after I get it, I'll return it. Unless B&N made up the screen specs, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. Also, isn't it logical to assume that those who own the original nook and feel that it is high quality device might have faith in B&N's ability to do the same with the nook color?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote