Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #31
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I live in Mexico and read in English. For thirteen years I had to read what I could find. Then when I got my first Kindle in 2009 I could read what I wanted. I, too, benefit from inexpensive books and I enjoy giving new authors a shot. They used to have pulp magazines to use to break into the business but they're gone now.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #32
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just helped a neighbor get a Kindle Fire during the sale and I set it up for her yesterday. We sat on her sofa as I showed her how to do a few simple things with it. As soon as I turned it on she realized her overhead light was off and wanted to turn it on so she could see the screen. I explained that it has it's own light just like her TV. She said it's obviously nothing like a TV and got up and turned on the light.

People react in funny ways to things they don't understand yet.

Barry
Well, to be fair, I prefer to read with the lights on too. She may well not completely understand how eReaders work, but it could still be a preference for her.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, to be fair, I prefer to read with the lights on too. She may well not completely understand how eReaders work, but it could still be a preference for her.
It may become a preference when she learns to use it. What i was showing her was how to watch some videos I had copied to it when I set it up for her. This is a Fire tablet, not a Kindle. She reads a little and she may also read with this but she'll mostly be watching TV shows. I have a lot of old shows from the 50s and 60s and she wanted it to watch them.

She does watch her TV without the light on a lot of the time.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #34
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
Great for your daughter!
I grew up in the 60's, books overflowing everywhere in my room. I'd have so loved an Ereader back then. I used to spend hours at the library all my life until my 1st Ereader 8 yrs ago. My son and I would take empty boxes to the used book store and lug books home by the trunkful. I do NOT miss those days. I hear people all the time saying they want *their kids to read "real" books. Getting kids to read anything at all is a win-win situation. Who cares if it's an Ereader?
I do miss browsing used book stores, getting lost in the shelves, picking up books and flipping through them. One reason I bought an ereader is because finding English books is a pain in China and I never really enjoyed reading on a computer. I do have books here but I never have to lug them around anymore. I hate lugging around books, and the idea of carrying bag of novels around while traveling sounds absolutely miserable nowadays. A reference or textbook would be more reasonable, but to be gone on a trip for a month or more I would have 5-10 books at least and now I can actually carry clothes or a smaller backpack :-)

I also used to constantly give away books at hostels (take a book/leave a book) and random places, so I'd have room for new ones...but now I realize how much I hated losing books. I would rather commit the unspeakable sin of sharing a digital copy than lose access to it forever.

Not that I would do that...

One day when I settle down and have a house or a more permanent place to live I will fill it with books. I will bask in their warmth, breathe in their nostalgic scent...and likely only use them to browse and select what I will read next on my ereader.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #35
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
kindle e reader have really helped me.

i cant hold a book so really missed out on reading . but im sure making up for it

it so much easier then having some one else hold the book for me

i love it

and it helped in hospital to keep away the the boredem

plus over 2000 book and games would have filled the ward.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #36
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I see a lot of that book snobbery all the time on some Facebook groups (for people who enjoy reading) that I frequent. The same old tired arguments get heated ad-nauseam.

Raise your hand if you've heard any of these at least once:
  • "I could never read from a screen! So impersonal"
  • "Nothing can match the feel of a REAL BOOK!"
  • "You can't curl up with a Kindle!"

I used to get caught up in defending e-readers (I love them!) but now I just grab popcorn and watch the show. ;-)
"I much prefer stone tablets," is what I tell those who turn up their noses at my Kindle, as if it were terribly low-brow and somehow anti-intellectual.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #37
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
"I much prefer stone tablets," is what I tell those who turn up their noses at my Kindle, as if it were terribly low-brow and somehow anti-intellectual.
But of course! With a stone tablet, you know that what was written there *matters*. (Compare to those horrible newfangled clay tablets the Assyrians recently started using. Invoices, shopping lists, whines about debts, they'll write *anything* down. It's unseemly.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
But of course! With a stone tablet, you know that what was written there *matters*. (Compare to those horrible newfangled clay tablets the Assyrians recently started using. Invoices, shopping lists, whines about debts, they'll write *anything* down. It's unseemly.)
Reminds me of that old joke:
Quote:
I was visiting my granddaughter last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.

"This is the 21st century," she said. We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, use my iPad."

I can tell you this. That fly never knew what hit him.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote