Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
bobby
bobby began at the beginning.

Device: Still Looking
Ghosting of previous page?

I have just joined this forum, and am looking to buy either the Sony reader or the Iliad.

This week I had a chance to play with the Sony reader in the local Borders store in Fremont.

I noticed a ghosting problem on the device, where I could see a faint image of the previous page. This was most apparent when you go from the Index page (with all those big black icons on the left) to say a page with very little text in it (say only text in the middle of around 3-4 lines), in this case I could easily see the previous page as a faint background image and could actually read the previous pages contents too (very distracting).

Once I had seen this faint ghosting of the previous page, I was able to notice it on all other pages even with full page text on the new page.

I am wondering if this is a problem on all devices or maybe just the unit I looked at was bad.

Anyone else has noticed this ghosting of previous page problem?
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It tends to happen only on the "index" pages.

When you're reading a page and you turn the page, the Reader first turns the page all black before displaying the next page. That way you don't get a a "ghost image".

Definitely not a problem when you're reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The ghosting also tends to be stronger when a screen has sat on a given image (including the blank page when it's off) for a while, it seems to take the e-ink several refreshes to 'warm up' and then it gets less and less noticeable. I don't really think it's any more bothersome than the show-through on a paper page, but that's for each person to evaluate, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It is not a problem for me and neither is the slight delay in going to the next page. A long time ago I developed the habbit of looking up or away at the end of each page before the start of the next page. This gives my eyes a break and allows them to focus at another distance rather than the 18" - 24" to the page. It allows me to read longer with less eye strain than I would be able to otherwise.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Plus it gets more noticeable when the unit itself is cool (65f and under for here), the chillier, the ghostier. Considering one of my favorite reading habits in the winter is to turn the heat way down at night and read bundled up in blankets, this poses a slight problem. (Can't blame Sony on this problem since it only shows up because I'm a freak.)
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do EPD ("e-Ink") screens suffer the same "slowing down" at low temperatures that LCD screen do? LCD displays seem to "give up the ghost" entirely at temperatures below about 5C.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I would guess that they must slow down at low temperatures. After all they're liquid filled capsules. Does anyone know what the liquid is and what its freezing temperature is.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

The ghosting is noticeable, to me anyway, on any and every page. It's really obvious if the previous page had text at the end of line x, and the next page doesn't have any text at the end of line x, if that makes sense. Then you can see the ghosting of the previous page. I've no doubt the next generation of e-ink devices will be better in this regard.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote