Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
ginakra
ginakra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Any Reader With Text-To-Speech Besides Kindle?

Hi, does anyone know which readers are currently available with (or rumored to have soon) Text-to-Speech besides the Kindle 2? Thanks!
ginakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Astak Pocket Pro has it for certain formats...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginakra View Post
Hi, does anyone know which readers are currently available with (or rumored to have soon) Text-to-Speech besides the Kindle 2? Thanks!
The Hanlin V5 - aka "BeBook Mini" and "Astak Pocket Pro" - has it. In both English and Chinese.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
ginakra

Thanks both of you! I'll check them out!

I have a K2 and I have to have TTS due to physical limitations, but my husband is interested in a reader. I'm trying to decide if we should get something different that would be more compatible with library ebooks (Kindle=NOT), and switch devices to read the same books, or buy another kindle 2 and share the same books that way.

Regardless, I need TTS on the other device.

So thanks so much for the help! I might post again later for help choosing after I take a look.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Keep in mind that the TTS on the Pocket Pro and its sibblings will not work on epub or pdf so you can't use it on library books.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
ginakra

Oh, thanks so much for that piece of information! That's good to know. What formats does the tts work on, then? Imo, it's kind of strange for the tts to work only in certain formats, I wonder why they did that. Kindle's works on all the formats it supports, which granted, isn't all that many but at least it's consistant. Hmmmm.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The Astek TTS works with PDFs and Text files. (See Robert's post)
Also you can find more info on the Astek Pro by reading that same thread (link)

However if TTS is what you need I'd recommend you stay with Amazon. Most Adobe PDF I've came across have TTS disabled.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Imo, it's kind of strange for the tts to work only in certain formats, I wonder why they did that.
Its because some of the reader software comes from 3rd parties. For example the ePub and PDF uses mobile Adobe Digital Editions. So they need to get Adobe's permission to use TTS, and, even though TTS rights are supported by PDFs, Adobe seems to be behind the ball on this. See Adobe eBooks - Update on Accessibility Support, which seems to be implying that the Hanlin's (EZ Reader's) might be able to do TTS on Adobe PDF and ePub ebooks at some poiint.

The way the Hanlin's handle TTS for PDFs is to switch to different software, xpdf, to display (and TTS) them. This only works for DRM-free PDFs, so it won't work on Adobe lending library PDF ebooks unless you first circumvent the DRM. Circumvention for the purpose of getting TTS to work is typically legal in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, thanks so much for that piece of information! That's good to know. What formats does the tts work on, then? Imo, it's kind of strange for the tts to work only in certain formats, I wonder why they did that.
Basically because the Jinke devices use completely DIFFERENT reading software for the different formats, and those different bits of software have different capabilities - some can do TTS; others currently can't. The "Adobe Digital Editions" software, used for ePub and PDFs, currently does not have TTS support.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Adobe Digital Editions" software, used for ePub and PDFs, currently does not have TTS support.
On my BeBook Mini, TTS works fine for ePubs!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In that case, presumably it will be available on the Astak shortly. Thanks for that.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
On my BeBook Mini, TTS works fine for ePubs!
With the latest (month old) firmware, the EZ Reader PocketPro also does TTS for ePubs and PDFs. It even works when the ebooks have DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm obviously "behind the times" in my Jinke firmware update knowledge. Thanks!