Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
tenaglia
tenaglia began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 500
SDHC card w/ sony ereader???

Hello... I've just purchased a used prs 500 and wanted to know if anyone knows if I can use a sandisk sdhc 4gb card with it? I am trying to still figure out how this thing works and getting familiar with it....the internal storage seems to be nearly nothing.. I only have one book thats like 54 mb and the manual on it..and once I input the card does the reader show me what is on it automatically??? Thanks!
tenaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you cannot. The PRS-505 supports SDHC, but the PRS-500 does not. Buy a 2GB SD card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
More complex answer:

The PRS-505 software runs on an embedded Montavista Linux kernel. Linux has device drivers that can indeed recognize and use SDHC cards, depending on the card reader interface supporting SDHC ... however it's possible that Sony left out SDHC software support when they built their stack, on the order of 3-4 years ago.

It might be possible to use SDHC cards on a PRS-505 in future, with new firmware or new operating software (such as OpenInkpot). It isn't possible to do so at this time, however.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The firmware update for PRS-505 specifically added SDHC support. PRS-500 does not currently support SDHC.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
There are 4 GB card that are not SDHC. But really, isn't 2 GB enough?
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet View Post
But really, isn't 2 GB enough?
There was a time when people said that about 640k.

The answer is: not for me. Not then, not now, not ever.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
with the size of ebooks, while I hate to pidgin hole myself into a size, as things stand now I see no real reason to need more than 2 gigs.

Now, if you use PDFs with lots of images, and such, you can easily eat up 2 gigs of space, but text only epubs and the like, would take ages.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well, for one thing, I happen to be fickle in my reading habits and I like to carry around a couple of hundred books with me, just because I can. Secondly, I enjoy reading manga, and a single volume (in LRF format) can take up anywhere from 10-60 Mb easily, with multiple volumes in a series this means you eat space like crazy.

What I meant to point out is that one person's use case and needs might not be similar to another's. One size does not fit all.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-18-2009 at 02:47 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote