Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Atagahi
Enthusiast
Atagahi began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Question 505 will not cut off

I have had my sony prs 505 for 5 months. it has always worked well only freezing up one time. Today though for some reason it will not cut off. It works fine except it will not cut off. The battery ran down once because it will not go off and I have had to recharge it but its just going to run down again. Is there anything I can do or should I go ahead and try to reset it?
Atagahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Could the music/mp3 player be running? This is something that is quite common with the 505 unfortunately. The music player will be running in the background without the owner realizing it and draining the power. I'm pretty sure there's a setting to turn it off, but since I haven't used the music player on my 505, I don't know where it is.

A reset should turn off the player if it is running, and won't do your reader any harm if you decide to do that.

Hope this helps!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Atagahi
Enthusiast
Atagahi began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks for answering. I don't think the problem has anything to do with the music player because I never use it but maybe its running and I am not aware of it. I have figured out that I can turn off the reader by going through the advance setting . I find it odd though that the power button will still turn the reader on but now it will not turn it off. Also previously if I left the reader on for any length of time and wasn't using it then it would cut itself off but now it does not do that.

Thanks Again
Atagahi
Atagahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you shut it down manually from the Reader itself (in settings?)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hmmmm....If what you're saying is the slider on top of the unit will no longer put the reader into sleep mode (blank out the page you're currently reading), I'd try a reset--with a paperclip in the pinhole in the back of the reader. I remember reading a post where a reset solved this problem for someone else.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Me too!

This just started with me too.

So far a reset hasn't helped either. My reader is closer to 2 years old, and has been fine. Just started it up one day after cutting the battery quite close and it was powered down. After recharging it the slider on top will now no longer turn the device off (so it runs down).
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...der#hard_Reset

I'm reset and seem ok, need to reinstall and reauth now.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote