Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
While in essence I agree with you, as can be seen by my earlier comments, if Amazon don't provide an alternate means, like a Comment section per book, that others can see and respond to, they only have themselves to blame for those like myself who use the only means available.
Well, I assume that most can see the price before they buy, so it's not like they need you to tell them that the price is high. Once again, the people you should complain to are those who can do something about the price, i.e. Amazon, the publisher and the author (though frequently the author has very limited control over the price). Amazon does have a method for sending them comments about prices and the like. They even have a forum that you can use if you want something more public than email.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
First, reviews are for book content, not complaining about prices. That's a pet peeve of mine.
And, "book content" shouldn't include formatting errors in the Kindle version, either.

Amazon groups reviews of all versions of the book together, and it doesn't take many one-star reviews because of bad Kindle formatting to drop the overall rating on a lesser-known book.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
And, "book content" shouldn't include formatting errors in the Kindle version, either.

Amazon groups reviews of all versions of the book together, and it doesn't take many one-star reviews because of bad Kindle formatting to drop the overall rating on a lesser-known book.
I think the publisher/author's answer to that should be better formatting.

I haven't bought many books where there were so many problems I stopped reading. I think that happened once 2 or 3 years ago but I'm not sure now. If it did happen I probably would have wanted to warn others and would have left comments about it in the books review. And hopefully that would actually reduce the book's sales.

I do find more errors in Kindle books than I like but not so many that I stop reading. That alone isn't enough to push me into writing a review. I mostly just write an occasional review when a book excites me for some reason. I use the Kindle's error reporting feature to report errors when I find them. Hopefully the publisher fixes them but I've already read the book so I probably will never know.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I don't think it is inappropriate to mention either price or formatting in a review. So far as price complaints are concerned, a sentence or two in a more substantial review is not out of place. For example, I think a comment at the end of a review such as the following would be quite appropriate:

"Whilst I enjoyed this book I do not think it is good value at the publisher set price of $14.99. There are many Indie titles equally good or better available for less than a third of the price."

Some people see bad formatting, grammar etc as a game breaker. A review which did not mention such things would in my opinion fail as a review.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I don't think it is inappropriate to mention either price or formatting in a review. So far as price complaints are concerned, a sentence or two in a more substantial review is not out of place. For example, I think a comment at the end of a review such as the following would be quite appropriate:

"Whilst I enjoyed this book I do not think it is good value at the publisher set price of $14.99. There are many Indie titles equally good or better available for less than a third of the price."

Some people see bad formatting, grammar etc as a game breaker. A review which did not mention such things would in my opinion fail as a review.
Sure, if you put that in a review, then it would tell the review readers where you are coming from.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:

"Value" is subjective. IMO, price comments have no place in a book review. In many cases, the author has nothing to do with the price. Price has nothing to do do with the writing of the book.

When I read a review, I want to see pertinent comments about the book. The price is there in plain site, I don't want or need the reviewers thoughts on the price.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
"Value" is subjective. IMO, price comments have no place in a book review. In many cases, the author has nothing to do with the price. Price has nothing to do do with the writing of the book.

When I read a review, I want to see pertinent comments about the book. The price is there in plain site, I don't want or need the reviewers thoughts on the price.
In addition putting the price you paid in a review can make the reviewer look plain silly if the price has changed. The only exception might be "this book even free isn't worth it" or book is ok at free but I wouldn't pay full price for it. The last one was on a $200 ebook. (That is the highest price Amazon allows indies to set.) Although it really wasn't worth the free either.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's a fair point. Readers don't need any external help deciding if a book is "too expensive" or not. So a review that mentions it is clearly not for other readers. I prefer not to see price mentioned in book reviews, but I'm also perfectly capable ok skipping those that I encounter. I just roll my eyes and move on.

I've come to the conclusion that many people just like to see their complaints show up in a public place more than anything. Book reviews on public websites are more visible/sexy than emails sent to publishers (even though price-complaints via both tend to have the same result most times). *shrug*

What I hate in book reviews is seeing good (or competent) formatting praised/noted in reviews of indie titles. Unless you're willing to praise the formatting of books by mid-listers and top-tier authors, then leave the "formatting was competent" remarks out of indie reviews.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's a fair point. Readers don't need any external help deciding if a book is "too expensive" or not. So a review that mentions it is clearly not for other readers. I prefer not to see price mentioned in book reviews, but I'm also perfectly capable ok skipping those that I encounter. I just roll my eyes and move on.

I've come to the conclusion that many people just like to see their complaints show up in a public place more than anything. Book reviews on public websites are more visible/sexy than emails sent to publishers (even though price-complaints via both tend to have the same result most times). *shrug*

What I hate in book reviews is seeing good (or competent) formatting praised/noted in reviews of indie titles. Unless you're willing to praise the formatting of books by mid-listers and top-tier authors, then leave the "formatting was competent" remarks out of indie reviews.
I will mention spelling and grammar errors but not formatting.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I will mention spelling and grammar errors but not formatting.
Same thing applies. I hate seeing "good" (or competent) grammar/spelling mentioned in reviews of indie books. I don't care so much if bad spelling/grammar is in the review--but I don't need it either way. I rarely dive into unknown waters without samples that pass my personal sniff tests anyway.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Same thing applies. I hate seeing "good" (or competent) grammar/spelling mentioned in reviews of indie books. I don't care so much if bad spelling/grammar is in the review--but I don't need it either way. I rarely dive into unknown waters without samples that pass my personal sniff tests anyway.
I never mention good. Only the bad.
Now if I do see a review that claims spelling/formatting/ "title of book" is good, great or best ever, the book probably will not pass my sniff test. More so, if there are several like that. Another hint is if all the below 5 stars have been marked as unhelpful.

I don't feel like looking it up, but I once reviewed an "American" cookbook. American was in the title. Now I don't know if the author put the wrong cover and title or if they got America and Asia mixed up, but it was Asian not American cooking.
At the time there were at least 5 5 star reviews all praising it as the best (title of book) ever.
I did not give it 5 stars, I think 2.
I looked a couple of days later and low and behold it had been marked unhelpful by the exact number of people as there were 5 star reviews.
Amazon on the other hand, put it as Top Critical Review.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-15-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Edited because I do know the difference between their and there.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #27
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Interesting point. I agree of course that value is subjective. As of course is a review. Personally I don't believe there should be a blanket rule that price should never be mentioned. I gave one example where I think such mention is appropriate. Cinisajoy, though she does not seem to completely share my point of view, gave others. And, with eminent good sense, DiapDealer gave excellent advice if you do dislike any mention of price. That is skip them and move on. Rolling the eyes is optional.

I also dislike praise of formatting in a review. Competent formatting is to be expected. Likewise a reasonable standard of grammar.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Rolling the eyes is optional.
But oh so satisfying.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #29
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
But oh so satisfying.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Back on July 3rd, 2017 I wrote a review at Amazon.
My Review.
The link to your review doesn't work now. I'm getting a "not found" page that also invites me to meet the dogs of Amazon. I didn't know Amazon employees could bring their dogs to work.

While I have sympathy for your pricing experience, I agree with Amazon and those here who've said that reviews are for the *content* of the book.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote