Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Overdrive/Kindle Requires Sideloading on Kindle?

I just saw a change on my Library's overdrive site. On Kindle books (some or all?) the option is now only "Transfer via USB". Sure enough when you check out the book, and you are sent to Amazon, the only option is to download to your computer and transfer via USB to your Kindle. On the Overdrive web site it provides the explanation that:

"Due to publisher restrictions, this book in the Kindle format cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB."
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I just saw a change on my Library's overdrive site. On Kindle books (some or all?) the option is now only "Transfer via USB". Sure enough when you check out the book, and you are sent to Amazon, the only option is to download to your computer and transfer via USB to your Kindle. On the Overdrive web site it provides the explanation that:

"Due to publisher restrictions, this book in the Kindle format cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB."
It's just Penguin and the workaround is really easy and only involves one additional step. You don't need to physically connect your Kindle to your computer via USB.

There was a thread on this about 6 weeks ago. From that thread:

Quote:
For non-Penguin books, it says: "xxx, please chose a Kindle device or reading application for delivery of your purchase:" Select your device or app and hit the "Continue" button. It's then sent to that device or app.

For Penguin books, it says: "xxx, please choose which Kindle you plan to transfer your title to via USB:" Select your Kindle device and hit the "Continue" button (ignore the download popup). It's then sent to your archives where it's immediately available for all devices and apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've actually had mixed results in whether it shows up in the archives lately. That worked when they first started doing it, but I'm not absolutely sure it still does.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
I've actually had mixed results in whether it shows up in the archives lately. That worked when they first started doing it, but I'm not absolutely sure it still does.
I checked out a Penguin library book yesterday. It downloaded from the archive with no problem.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote