Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Colegno
Colegno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can't search my book!

Anyone have any insight to my search conundrum? Just downloaded a 5-volume work - oxford history of music - which came in as a single volume.
After 2 days, it remains unsearchable, i.e., entering ANY word in the search field yields "0" results.
Thanks for any help!
Colegno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
Have you checked to see if it's still indexing? Type a non word like asdfg at your home page and search your items. If your book comes up as still indexing then you won't be able to search it. After 2 days it could be stuck. Then you can try deleting it and reinstalling it to see if it works better.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes welcome to mobileread And waller4343 has come up with some good advice - sounds like there may have been a problem in indexing with this file as it should be searchable.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colegno View Post
Anyone have any insight to my search conundrum? Just downloaded a 5-volume work - oxford history of music - which came in as a single volume.
After 2 days, it remains unsearchable, i.e., entering ANY word in the search field yields "0" results.
Thanks for any help!
5 volumes...it could also be stuck downloading. Go to home--menu---view downloading items-----that last option should be greyed out. If it is not; send the book again from Manage Your Kindle on your Amazon.com page.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
5 volumes...it could also be stuck downloading.
No, I don't think that this is the case. The fact that the OP is attempting to search within the book implies that it's been successfully opened. That means that it's been downloaded: you can't open a book which hasn't been fully downloaded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have this issue as well for some books. It seems to me that this indexing idea was not implemented very well. What value is the indexing actually giving?

And is the device actually constantly chewing up CPU cycles in these cases thereby wasting battery life?

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I have this issue as well for some books. It seems to me that this indexing idea was not implemented very well. What value is the indexing actually giving?

And is the device actually constantly chewing up CPU cycles in these cases thereby wasting battery life?

Regards
Caleb
Endless indexing (when a book can't get indexed for some reason) causes batterydrain and makes the Kindle unstable......it functions, but crashes easily.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Is this the $130 volume? Was it a kindle book or possibly a pdf or??? If it was that fairly expensive volume, I'd call Amazon's KINDLE customer service and ask for help. You can return it if it does not work for you. You only have 7 days to return if unsatisfied unless it allows the searching you want.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
What value is the indexing actually giving?
If the books were not indexed, searching could take minutes to complete. With indexing, it already knows what words are where, and in what books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If the books were not indexed, searching could take minutes to complete. With indexing, it already knows what words are where, and in what books.
I'm guessing if you were searching across your whole collection and it's quite large such a search could take minutes.

I would have thought the strongest use case for searching is within 1 volume though and I doubt a proprietary search through a compressed/binary mobi format would take minutes regardless of the size of the book. If Kindle accepted more than mobi format the case would be different - but this should be one of the advantages of limiting format.

That aside though as there is at least a marginal speed advantage in searches that have an index, if the indexing is introduced in such a way that you can get scenarios of endless indexing, then it's possibly not robust enough.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Colegno
Colegno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks so much for your replies.
Mystery solved! After several conversations with Kindle reps, it was discovered that the publisher of the work has just alerted Amazon that the file was corrupt, and that they were in the process of repairing it and redistributing. I suspected something of the kind since the book (all five vols) came in as a single file. It's readable, but unsearchable (always finds "0" instances of any word). I give credit to customer service: offered to refund the purchase, or to contact me directly when the file is updated, for a fresh download (I chose the latter since I can still read the thing).
Thanks again for the helpful input.
Colegno is offline   Reply With Quote