Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Here is the igorsk Kindle Update Tool version with support for Kindle DX (-k3). Took me about an hour to mod and test it. I know the two lines I added are a bit of ugly code, but I don't know enough Python to make it prettier.

If anyone is interested in the Blog Kindle's Unicode Fonts hack, I have made a version for Kindle DX. Personally, I am not very happy with the Kindle Unicode Fonts hacks (adding fonts in addition to native fonts and replacing entries in config files for browser and reader. I believe the Sony Reader approach was better (will see if it can be pursued for the Kindle), as it totally replaced the native fonts with the appropriate Unicode set.

Happy hacking!

Last edited by porkupan; 06-17-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: fixed link
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
How does this work, when currently no DX version .bin file exists?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
How does this work, when currently no DX version .bin file exists?
Sorry, I don't understand the question. What "DX version .bin" file need to exist for you to create your own Kinlde DX update bins? You create the updates in exactly the same manner as you did for Kindle 2. Use the -k3 option, that's all.

However, if you do brick your Kindle, it's your fault, not mine.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was thinking actually of extracting an existing .bin. But nevermind; you'd done a great job and it should enable clarknova to make a screensaver .bin update for the DX.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
porkupan
Fanatic

It was brought to my attention that the Droid Serif fonts in the distribution package from BlogKindle were invalid/broken. Kindle reader software replaced the broken fonts with the default font, which was SansSerif-Regular. To fix this issue, I replaced the bad Serif fonts with valid Android Droid fonts, but I could not find complete Unicode set, so I used the ones with Unicode sets up to Cyrillics (which is more or less all I needed anyway). You can download the package again. I tested it with Russian Mobi texts, works fine.

I converted the Liberation fonts package into KDX as well, so it can be downloaded and tested. I believe all the Liberation fonts are valid, and they may have more Unicode sets, though they don't seem to have Chinese and Japanese characters either.

For those who need Far Eastern characters I would recommend finding a decent complete set of Serif fonts (Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic) and rebuilding the Droid package with those fonts.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
sungeng1
sungeng1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
[QUOTE=porkupan;495173] You can download the package again. I tested it with Russian Mobi texts, works fine.

Hello porkupan,

Is the android fonts "bolder" and "darker" than Kindle DX's original fonts?

Thank you.
sungeng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungeng1 View Post
Is the android fonts "bolder" and "darker" than Kindle DX's original fonts?
I don't think so. But they look very nice on screen, and they've got Cyrillics and some additional character sets as well. So they are worth installing at least for some of us.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
sungeng1

hi porkupan,

I am a computer illiterate, so forgive me if I ask a silly question.

I found that the contrast ratio on my Kindle DX pretty low, and Kindle's default fonts blurry. Several websites talk about replacing the default fonts with a bolder and darker font type, for example (https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/).

Is it possible that you provide a package with bolder fonts? Thanks.

Last edited by sungeng1; 06-17-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
hi porkupan,

I found that the contrast ratio on my Kindle DX pretty low, and Kindle's default fonts blurry. Several websites talk about replacing the default fonts with a bolder and darker font type, for example (https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/).

If anyone who is experimenting with DX hacks wants to try adapting one of the fonts I optimized for the K2, drop me a note off-line. I'll send you the TTF files. This may be particularly useful for vision impaired readers as the combination of large, bold fonts and the large screen of the DX would make an ideal big-print reader.
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:

Well, I didn't find a link to any font package on K Design Works, only a discussion of fonts improvement techniques. I guess, the articles are addressed to Amazon - advice on how to make the fonts look better on eInk. Perhaps it will not fall on deaf ears...

I am certainly not going to design my own fonts, I don't have time for that. If someone sends me a set of fonts (Serif, Sans Serif, Monospace, each in Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic), I can make an update package and put it out for everyone to download.

You can send me the link to download the TTF fonts via a PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #26
porkupan
Fanatic

Here is the update with Georgia fonts for Serif. Looks pretty nice on my KDX, I am just not sure it looks better than Droid.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #27
sungeng1

Hi,

I think this page has the font installation files (I may be wrong):

https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files
Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
glyph
glyph began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (2nd gen)
failed updates

Every script I try booting with says it fails. The .bin file is deleted when it comes back up but no changes were made. I've installed the screensaver bin which worked. Then I just put a .sh file with nothing between 2 and 100% complete except for stuff like:

cp /etc/prettyversion.txt /mnt/us/prettyversion.txt
or
ln -s / /mnt/us/rootdir
or
ls -R / > /mnt/us/dirlisting.txt

but it always fails, can someone point a noob in the right direction? I guess an SSH is where I'm headed but for now I'd settle for being able to see a snapshot of the file system. I've got 2.0.3 updated installed if that matters.

The projects I had in mind (and are maybe in work by some of you) is automounting a thumbdrive to /mnt/us on reboot if detected, and digging in to see if the location can be obtained from the 3g card.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Every script I try booting with says it fails.

but it always fails, can someone point a noob in the right direction?
Well, if you are really a noob, maybe you shouldn't be playing with the device you can rather easily brick?

Make sure the scripts follow a certain convention (I pretty sure not all of it is needed, perhaps only the first and the last lines, but it's better to be on the safe side, right?):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

update_percent_complete()
{
    _PERCENT_COMPLETE=$((${_PERCENT_COMPLETE} + $1))
    update_progressbar ${_PERCENT_COMPLETE}
}

update_percent_complete 2

<do your stuff here>

update_progressbar 100

return 0
The first line tells the OS this script has to be run by shell. Make sure you save the file as a UNIX text (with UNIX line feeds, not Windows/DOS CR/LF). If you don't, the shell script will not be executed.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #30
glyph
glyph began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (2nd gen)
thanks

it was the carriage returns.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote