Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #2326
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by methujeraya View Post
Never had my Kindle PW3 Jailbreaked before. Now it's in 5.8.10. I notice that it keeps deleting any .bin file placed in root directory. Is there any way for me to downgrade it now?kindlefeedback@amazon.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Same here.
Look like there is no way to downgrade firmware.
So just wait for another JB realease
Both devices can still be jailbroken via the serial port.
BUT
If the device is listed in this table as "unsupported" :
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
then jailbreaking it will not do you any good, because none of our 'update_*.bin' name format packages will install on your device.
Which is what we mean by: "Unsupported".

Until that situation changes (KindleTool must be updated), the seven devices listed as 'unsupported' will remain unsupported here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #2327
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Same here.
Look like there is no way to downgrade firmware.
So just wait for another JB realease
If you do not want to do the serial jailbreak, then I recommend you follow the instructions in this post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2287
It gives you many ideas on what to do with your very long wait for a software jailbreak.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #2328
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
superpack

Made a SuperPack with all the things you need for a Kindle Touch 3 Jailbreak.

It has a small .bat file that you can run and assist you in the kindle jailbreaking and installation of some tools.

I'm sharing it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1gp6db...ilbreakKT3.zip

Included:

Factory Rom for KT3
Jailbreak
Hotfix
KT3 Customer 5.8.7.1
Kual Booklet
Rescue Pack
USBnethack
MRPI

Last edited by lucasmpr; 07-30-2017 at 08:12 PM.
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #2329
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

I am in a PW2 that has been jail broken and KUAL installed as well as the screen saver hack. A few weeks ago I lost the ability to see the cover in grid view for books I add, it just shows Amazon's default cover. Already added books show as they always have. I can also see the cover as the screen saver so I know it was sent by Calibre.

I have tried a few things and posted in other areas but no luck. I all currently on 5.8.7 with the update block but I was thinking that maybe an update would help.

Is this worth trying? Or any thoughts on what might have occurred. I have been reluctant to update because I thought this was one of there last ok versions that would give me a chance to stay jail broken if something went wrong. Not sure if this is still true or not.

I have tried to read through but I didn't keep up with this thread since I didn't have a problem and now I am not sure.
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #2330
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
I am in a PW2 that has been jail broken and KUAL installed as well as the screen saver hack. A few weeks ago I lost the ability to see the cover in grid view for books I add, it just shows Amazon's default cover. Already added books show as they always have. I can also see the cover as the screen saver so I know it was sent by Calibre.

I have tried a few things and posted in other areas but no luck. I all currently on 5.8.7 with the update block but I was thinking that maybe an update would help.

Is this worth trying? Or any thoughts on what might have occurred. I have been reluctant to update because I thought this was one of there last ok versions that would give me a chance to stay jail broken if something went wrong. Not sure if this is still true or not.

I have tried to read through but I didn't keep up with this thread since I didn't have a problem and now I am not sure.
Sounds like something got corrupted.

Try updating to 5.8.7.0.1 (the most recent that can still be jail broken if things get worse).

First post, Step #7, section headed "Amazon", open spoiler, there find download link for 5.8.7.0.1 for your device.

If that doesn't fix it -
Then we will have to do something more drastic.
Advert
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #2331
MaudDib

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Try updating to 5.8.7.0.1 (the most recent that can still be jail broken if things get worse).

First post, Step #7, section headed "Amazon", open spoiler, there find download link for 5.8.7.0.1 for your device.

If that doesn't fix it -
Sorry that is the version I am on.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #2332
knc1
Going Viral

do you have rescue pack installed?
USB networking ? kTerm ?
Mention everything so I know what your have to work with.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #2333
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the great work knc1. You are very appreciated.
This post is in honor of you.
#15,000
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #2334
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
A few weeks ago I lost the ability to see the cover in grid view for books I add, it just shows Amazon's default cover. Already added books show as they always have. I can also see the cover as the screen saver so I know it was sent by Calibre.
Possibly relevant, newly added books in KF8/azw3 format marked as personal documents (cdetype=PDOC) will not show cover thumbnails in firmware 5.8.5 or later.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:23 AM   #2335
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

If that doesn't fix it -
If I am understanding OP correctly, it's not the screensaver that is malfunctioning.
He says he doesn't see the covers in grid view, that is, in the kindle catalog, "home page", "initial bookshelf", whatever you want to call it.
This, as far as I know, has nothing to do with the screen saver hack, and it has nothing to do with the jailbreak, even.
The cover view of the kindle content is supposed to show the covers whatever the jailbreak status is, except for collections.

I recognized the issue OP is complaining about because I experienced it as well, and a friend of mine without the jailbreak did the same.
We made some tests (including modifying transferred ebook removing something, converting them, reassembling the same with hypenate-this!, etc), and we have come to the conlcusion it is some sort of bug with calibre, and/or slugginesh of the kindle while indexing a lot of books together; we haven't reported it in the calibre forum because we were not able to reproduce it in a consistent way.
Anyway, what matters in the thread, I think if the covers are failing to show in the kindle bookshelf this has nothing to do with the SS hack, the jailbreak and this thread... has it?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #2336
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
If I am understanding OP correctly, it's not the screensaver that is malfunctioning.
He says he doesn't see the covers in grid view, that is, in the kindle catalog, "home page", "initial bookshelf", whatever you want to call it.
This, as far as I know, has nothing to do with the screen saver hack, and it has nothing to do with the jailbreak, even.
The cover view of the kindle content is supposed to show the covers whatever the jailbreak status is, except for collections.

I recognized the issue OP is complaining about because I experienced it as well, and a friend of mine without the jailbreak did the same.
We made some tests (including modifying transferred ebook removing something, converting them, reassembling the same with hypenate-this!, etc), and we have come to the conlcusion it is some sort of bug with calibre, and/or slugginesh of the kindle while indexing a lot of books together; we haven't reported it in the calibre forum because we were not able to reproduce it in a consistent way.
Anyway, what matters in the thread, I think if the covers are failing to show in the kindle bookshelf this has nothing to do with the SS hack, the jailbreak and this thread... has it?
I only stated that something had gotten corrupted, not what, when, or where.
Your friend's findings are the same.

Since the O.P. initially reported that he was not running the most recent 5.7 firmware version, I suggested he update to the most recent 5.7 firmware version that could be jail broken.
That would have replaced everything except what is in the two user areas (/var/local and USB storage).

If that had not fixed the problem, then we would have confirmed that it was caused by something in one of the two user areas by clearing both of them.

At which point he would have had a partially corrupted jailbreak (from using DO_FACTORY_RESTORE on the device) and he would have been in the correct thread to get it repaired.

= = = =

Since the O.P. has since said he had typo'd the firmware version - the above course of troubleshooting is unsafe to his jail break.
(And I would need what all add-ins he had installed so I knew what we had to use to fix the problem.)

So the next thing he should do is remove the contents of /documents and the directories that correspond to each thing he removes.

Then, one by one, side-load things back into /documents until he hits the thing which breaks the device.

Last edited by knc1; 07-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #2337
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks for the great work knc1. You are very appreciated.
This post is in honor of you.
#15,000
You are welcome.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #2338
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Possibly relevant, newly added books in KF8/azw3 format marked as personal documents (cdetype=PDOC) will not show cover thumbnails in firmware 5.8.5 or later.
Now that is an interesting piece of trivia.

It might apply here, because the O.P. did not mention **when** in relation to this problem he updated to 5.8.7.0.1 nor what he had been running previously.

Note:
I nearly always have my devices in "list view" so I would not have noticed.
"list view" might be the best solution for the O.P.'s problem, since everything else still works.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #2339
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Could it be he somehow got into list view instead of cover view?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #2340
MaudDib

Quote:
Now that is an interesting piece of trivia.

It might apply here, because the O.P. did not mention **when** in relation to this problem he updated to 5.8.7.0.1 nor what he had been running previously.

Note:
I nearly always have my devices in "list view" so I would not have noticed.
"list view" might be the best solution for the O.P.'s problem, since everything else still works.
Sorry for the delay in responding, work always gets in the way. And I realize this might not be the right forum so I can take this somewhere else if you want. I was looking for an answer about updating (hence this forum) so having received that answer I can take it outside of this post.

This happened around the first of July. I added a book on July 5th with no issues and then added a book on July 9th and that is when the issue started. Only thing I can think of was an update to Calibre but no one else in Calibre seems to have this issue. I do the same thing with every book, add to Calibre, convert to mobi, add a book cover I like set to a certain size and then add by USB to kindle.

As to what do I have installed, I am not sure what kTerm is or USB networking so I would imagine that I don't. I am not sure about the rescue pack. I remember reading one of your posts about it and then looking more into it but I don't remember if I actually installed it. I would have thought I did because I have been conscious of not updating beyond where I am at and if I had the rescue installed, it would help if I accidentally reset the device.

Is this something I can install twice?

I could also reinstall Calibre to see if the update caused the issue (although I have updated a couple of times since and still have the problem).

I have been on this update for sometime now (probably since it was pushed out by Amazon). I have since added the folder to keep it from updating. The kindle is not in list view as I can see all of the other covers to books.

So maybe it was a book that has caused this issue? It seems like you are saying I should remove all books and then add them back (one at a time) to see if that will fix it. I will think more on this, as I would be even more annoyed if it doesn't fix it but removes covers for all the books.

If you can think of anything else I can try, let me know. Thanks for the help, I have been amazed by your willingness to answer a lot of questions over the years while keeping it cool.