Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Does anyone know of any custom ROMs for kobo?

I really want to be able to overclock my kobo...
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Make one :-)
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely you mean a Zen Master's reply... Make one with Everything!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

The custom ROM is an empty vessel; it is used, but never filled.
Oh, unfathomable source of ten thousand things!
Blunt the sharpness,
Untangle the knot,
Soften the glare,
Merge with dust.
Oh, hidden deep but ever present!
I do not know from whence it comes.
It is the forefather of the gods.

---

Better? :-)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They are working on getting the Vox able to accept a custom ROM in the hacking thread in the sticky section of this forum.

hieronymos is a person of many talents.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie

Actually, you don't need a custom ROM. Just a custom kernel. And we should have all the information we need to do this.
So you could:

a) Wait for Kobo to enable the GPU, then enable CPU scaling - and just overclock away.

b) Make your own kernel (there are good reasons Kobo explicitly disabled CPU scaling, mind you). Get the configuration from you Kobo at /proc/config.gz, find out what you need to enable in the kernel (asking the guys from SetCPU might be a good idea), get the kernel sources from Freescale, modify the configuration and start cross-compiling. Once you have the kernel, you just need to copy it to a certain location on the internal SD card that you took out of the Kobo, put the SD card back into the Kobo, power on and hope it starts. If something went wrong, you have of course the bytecopy stored on your computer that you can copy back on the SD card again.
Try to find out why, rinse, repeat.

All these steps are perfectly well documented - search terms like 'linux compile kernel' will come up with huge documentation on what you're about to do. A little trickier will be 'cross-compile kernel arm', but you'll manage. Freescale is self-explanatory, they have a great website.
The location where to copy the kernel is known and inside the hacking thread - reading the 6 pages of the thread might be worth the time, since there is a lot of interesting information.
If you don't like flash videos of flying cats, people who nag without wanting to contribute without anything, or people who absolutely don't tell you what they do during their 'incredible hacking progress' try to exclude 'xda' from your searches.

It's a great way to pass your weekend!
You also might find it interesting that there is a large amount of cheap Chinese tablets that ships exactly our processor, the imx515, on 1.2GHz. So that seems to be a reasonable clock rate.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Actually, you don't need a custom ROM. Just a custom kernel. And we should have all the information we need to do this.
So you could:

a) Wait for Kobo to enable the GPU, then enable CPU scaling - and just overclock away.

b) Make your own kernel (there are good reasons Kobo explicitly disabled CPU scaling, mind you). Get the configuration from you Kobo at /proc/config.gz, find out what you need to enable in the kernel (asking the guys from SetCPU might be a good idea), get the kernel sources from Freescale, modify the configuration and start cross-compiling. Once you have the kernel, you just need to copy it to a certain location on the internal SD card that you took out of the Kobo, put the SD card back into the Kobo, power on and hope it starts. If something went wrong, you have of course the bytecopy stored on your computer that you can copy back on the SD card again.
Try to find out why, rinse, repeat.

All these steps are perfectly well documented - search terms like 'linux compile kernel' will come up with huge documentation on what you're about to do. A little trickier will be 'cross-compile kernel arm', but you'll manage. Freescale is self-explanatory, they have a great website.
The location where to copy the kernel is known and inside the hacking thread - reading the 6 pages of the thread might be worth the time, since there is a lot of interesting information.
If you don't like flash videos of flying cats, people who nag without wanting to contribute without anything, or people who absolutely don't tell you what they do during their 'incredible hacking progress' try to exclude 'xda' from your searches.

It's a great way to pass your weekend!
You also might find it interesting that there is a large amount of cheap Chinese tablets that ships exactly our processor, the imx515, on 1.2GHz. So that seems to be a reasonable clock rate.
Yes, in my experience with the imx515, 1.0Ghz runs very well ans 1.2Ghz runs (but maybe a little less stable?).

A custom ROM that works with an apk like ROM manager is still my ultimate goal. It makes it easy for average users to install and makes for easier backup, recovery, etc.

That said, I've been working almost exclusively on the kernel as of late. However, I'm holding off a little while waiting for sources and the first beta firmware.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie

I'm in my second 30 days :-/ And waiting for the uboot sources - don't they have a legal department or something? Already with the available documentation I'm not quite sure If I understand, and don't want to bump my head with screen initialization or something.
ROM manager and a full recovery are very useful even for me, although I'll let Kobo mess with Android.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
aycn602

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Make one :-)
wish i could
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
aycn602

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Yes, in my experience with the imx515, 1.0Ghz runs very well ans 1.2Ghz runs (but maybe a little less stable?).

A custom ROM that works with an apk like ROM manager is still my ultimate goal. It makes it easy for average users to install and makes for easier backup, recovery, etc.

That said, I've been working almost exclusively on the kernel as of late. However, I'm holding off a little while waiting for sources and the first beta firmware.
that would help people like me ALOT
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
hieronymos
Groupie

No, really, as long as these things are documented it's quite easy. Just time consuming to really do the reading. Like a halogen lightbulb I exchanged the other day in a lamp that was already installed when we moved in. I opened the lamp and didn't even know what it was. Started tearing and turning. A few Wikipedia entries and YouTube videos later I knew how to take the thing out and even how to put a new one in (still managed to break the part on the bulb that had the wattage written on it, though).

The reason why people today are afraid of computers is because Windows only tells you that you need to contact your system administrator.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Not everyone shares our technolust.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote