Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabus View Post
Thank you for your reply. I was not able to find the command line in calibre
use OS's (for windows: press 'windows key+R' then write "cmd")
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I also found this link with many dictionaries. http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=472141#472141
From what I understood from the posts in the ebook forum there is a bug in kindle that prevents the popup definitions.
But you can do lookups, if you highlight the word, then hit spacebar to bring up Note pane, then select the Dictionary button.

I have been doing this after setting default dictionary to the RU-EN dictionary, but if I tag the metadata of the book to RU, will I still need to do this? or will it find the dictionary to match the book's language?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #18
tabus
tabus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you again for the suggestions
I entered the command ebook-meta file_name -t Все приключения Электроника -l ru and I got the message -bash: ebook-meta: command not found.
Moreover when I tried to "highlight the word, then hit spacebar to bring up Note pane, then select the Dictionary button", although I had selected as default the Russian-English dictionary, I was prompted the German-English dictionary and the word I had highlighted did not appear in the Note.
Could anyone point what was my mistake.
tabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Thank you again for the suggestions
I entered the command ebook-meta file_name -t Все приключения Электроника -l ru and I got the message -bash: ebook-meta: command not found.
Sorry,I don't much about linux
I'm on windows, therefore I'll explain for it:
1- you should run command line in the folder that contains the file
(use command "cd" ) or just copy the file to your home directory (c: users: name)
2- file_name is the name of the file you are trying to fix (for example: longmandict.mobi

youtube :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OQsEGzsQf4

However I didn't understand the error " command not found." its better to reinstall calibre. ( "no file or directory" error is what I expected)
Quote:
Moreover when I tried to "highlight the word, then hit spacebar to bring up Note pane, then select the Dictionary button", although I had selected as default the Russian-English dictionary, I was prompted the German-English dictionary and the word I had highlighted did not appear in the Note.
Could anyone point what was my mistake.
I suppose the language of the book is described as German. (try mobi2mobi ,mobi2mobi gui to fix this)

Last edited by thomass; 05-23-2011 at 04:31 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #20
tabus
tabus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am afraid this solution seems a bit complicated but I thank you nevertheless for your suggestions and your time.
tabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
dj4hill
dj4hill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hello all,

I am also very interested in getting this up and running, but a agree the solution seems complicated. Can anyone that has pop-up translations in both directions (english-russian and visa-versa) post a guide for the full process?

Thanks,
David
dj4hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #22
thearr
thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4, iPad2
Quote:
Try to install command line tools: in caliber go to preferences - advanced - miscellaneous - install command line tools.
thearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
mzatanoskas
mzatanoskas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
So has anyone managed to get Russian-English pop up dictionary to work in kindle 3?

Would be so useful to me...
mzatanoskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzatanoskas View Post
So has anyone managed to get Russian-English pop up dictionary to work in kindle 3?

Would be so useful to me...
It will never work. May be on Kindle Tablet...
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #25
mzatanoskas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
It will never work. May be on Kindle Tablet...
How come? So much stuff does get hacked and improved on. Does amazon not release firmware/os updates for its kindles?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Alas, no way. People wrote to Amazon about this issue but they never paid attention.
Note that Ru-En dictionaries from the-book.org work with transliterated input.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
mzatanoskas

Quote:
Note that Ru-En dictionaries from the-book.org work with transliterated input.
Ok that sounds interesting... but what do you mean by transliterated input?

Right now I have a Ru-En dictionary installed as default and I'm using the workaround mentioned in this thread where you highlight the word and save to a note and then scroll to the dictionary option and look up the word and select it from the alternatives...

...with my terrible Russian it's just too complicated, so I really want to get some sort of instant pop-up translation working so I can quickly get the gist of sentences and concentrate and words that I think are important.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
EbokJunkie
Addict

From Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:
-----
trans·lit·er·ate , v.t., -at·ed, -at·ing.
to change (letters, words, etc.) into corresponding characters of another alphabet or language: to transliterate the Greek C as ch.
-----

For example: sobaka, korova, borsch :-)

Instant pop-up doesn't work because current Amazon firmware doesn't recognize Cyrillic input, period.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #29
mzatanoskas

Quote:

For example: sobaka, korova, borsch :-)

Instant pop-up doesn't work because current Amazon firmware doesn't recognize Cyrillic input, period.
Ok so I'd have to have russian books all written in the latin alphabet to get the pop-up to work... that's not so useful...

bah, come on amazon, it can't be that difficult!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Ceridan
Ceridan began at the beginning.

Hi! I'm still looking for a Russian -> English (or Czech) dictionary which works on Kindle 3. But I can't download any files from www.the-ebook.org.

Please, if you had downloaded the RU-En dictionary from there, could you upload it somewhere? Thanks a lot!
Ceridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dictionary