Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
USB C

I have both a new Kobo Libra H2O and a new notebook computer. However, the new notebook only has two USB C ports. Would something like this work for connecting the Libra to my notebook?
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
I have both a new Kobo Libra H2O and a new notebook computer. However, the new notebook only has two USB C ports. Would something like this work for connecting the Libra to my notebook?
I would not buy it. It's too iffy. You have to be VERY careful when you buy a USB-C cable. There are some that do not follow the USB-C spec and because of that, you can get a cable that could damage your electronics

For example, the USB-C splitters/Y-cables are unsafe with 5v devices and should never be purchased.

There are people out there such as Benson Leong who have been testing USB-C cables. If it's Benson approved, it's good to go. If it's approved by one of the other testers, it's also good to go. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

Sorry, but USB-C is not regulated enough and some cables are crap and could damage your equipment.

Oh and USB-C extension cables are not part of the USB-C spec and are not approved.

So I suggest you keep looking until you find a USB-C that's certified or if you can, return your notebook for one that doesn't have USB-C ports.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had a look and from here. was able to find you a cable. But first read the article in full.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...to-usb-c-cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYAIU
Old 01-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I bought those and they work well. It's true that not all such adapters work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077FY7831/
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't trust those sorts of cables unless you can show me where such a cable has been verified.
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't trust those sorts of cables unless you can show me where such a cable has been verified.
Well, I've used those particular cables for a couple of years now. No problems at all.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, I've used those particular cables for a couple of years now. No problems at all.
I do have an Amazon Basics USB-C cable that I've used for charging my bluetooth receiver that works well. It's USB-A to UBS-C. But when looking for that cable, it did take me a while. It's easy to find cables with no certification or cables that failed.

Given the state of USB-C, there is no way I would buy a laptop/notebook/computer where USB-C was the only type of USB available.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I do have an Amazon Basics USB-C cable that I've used for charging my bluetooth receiver that works well. It's USB-A to UBS-C. But when looking for that cable, it did take me a while. It's easy to find cables with no certification or cables that failed.

Given the state of USB-C, there is no way I would buy a laptop/notebook/computer where USB-C was the only type of USB available.
My laptop has only one ordinary USB-port and two USB-C ports. Sometimes I need to connect more than one device (for example, two external drives) and the USB-C cable is necessary for this.

There were other laptop specs besides ports that were important for me and so I had to make a compromise.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My laptop has only one ordinary USB-port and two USB-C ports. Sometimes I need to connect more than one device (for example, two external drives) and the USB-C cable is necessary for this.

There were other laptop specs besides ports that were important for me and so I had to make a compromise.
Given that you've used those cables for long enough, I'll give in and say OK.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Given that you've used those cables for long enough, I'll give in and say OK.
Thank you.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
I just had a look and from here. was able to find you a cable. But first read the article in full.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...to-usb-c-cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYAIU
Quote:
Thank you both. I will take a look at both.

For better or for worse, most notebook computers I see on sale now either offer mostly USB C ports or entirely USB C ports.

Thanks for the warning, JSWolf. It's true that USB C cables are a crap shoot. I've bought a few USB C to USB C cables directly from Google last year, but I didn't see any micro-USB to USB C cables made by Google.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The crap shoot is why when we get people complaining that Readers should have USB-C, I'm saying NO to that. I don't want to be reading that Readers are breaking because they bought bad USB-C cables.

Readers don't need USB-C and work perfectly well with micro-USB.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
The crap shoot is why when we get people complaining that Readers should have USB-C, I'm saying NO to that. I don't want to be reading that Readers are breaking because they bought bad USB-C cables.

Readers don't need USB-C and work perfectly well with micro-USB.
I was pleased when the new fire tablet used usb c though, as that's what my huawei has, so one charger and cable works with both.

Surely if kindle, kobo made readers with usb c and bundled a safe cable we,d be ok? Or is it the non complaint chargers we have to be wary of , not, or as well as, non compliant cables

I hate the game of trying to put a reader back on charge ,in a dark room, with all the "which way up does it go " nonsense

I used to try colouring one side of the micro usb plugs to help, but there is no consistency in which way up the sockets get added to devices
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I was pleased when the new fire tablet used usb c though, as that's what my huawei has, so one charger and cable works with both.

Surely if kindle, kobo made readers with usb c and bundled a safe cable we,d be ok? Or is it the non complaint chargers we have to be wary of , not, or as well as, non compliant cables

I hate the game of trying to put a reader back on charge ,in a dark room, with all the "which way up does it go " nonsense

I used to try colouring one side of the micro usb plugs to help, but there is no consistency in which way up the sockets get added to devices
Yes, you also have to be careful of USB-C chargers. They can also damage your equipment. So having a USB-C port is really a bad idea especially when micro-USB works perfectly well.

So please don't go praising USB-C. It's rubbish.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I bought, from Amazon, several cables which fit both.there a sort of double end so You can pull of the usb c bit to reveal a micro usb behind it, or vice versa. we have one in the car. My wife's phone now is usb c, but previous phone was not, and it's less confusing to have these cables than to double up.
Did not look at standards, just at customer reviews, and they have been fine so far.

Amazon call them 2 in 1 charger cables.

You will probably be horrified.

But for me , if there are no reviews saying that devices got fried, it's an acceptable risk

Last edited by stumped; 01-14-2020 at 03:56 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote