Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Hi greenapple,

I will try to get out a GUI front end for Windows within a week or so. I'm having to do this in java, and it's been a long time since I did any java programming.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #17
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks, Pranananda. Looking forward to it!
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

There is now a graphical user interface. You must have Java installed to run this interface, which you can get from http://java.com/download.

See the original post for the binaries and instructions.

For Windows, the zip file contains all the binaries you need: pdfreflow.exe, pdftohtml.exe, and the Java jar file.

For other platforms, you must already have pdfreflow and pdftohtml installed, and they must be in your path.

There is a Help button that will bring up some online help.

Last edited by Pranananda; 05-07-2023 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This looks like a promising new PDF utility, Pranananda. Thank you for your hard work.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Mighty Fine

Pranananda, the exe version you have on sourceforge seems to differ from the version you posted on MR. However, the newest version (0.8.6), with a GUI, is pretty good. I reflowed a pdf novel in 10 minutes flat, 9.5 of which were spent editing/proofing the resulting html file. The only fix, related to pdfreflow, was to change the style of p2 to text-align: center. The culprit Xml line was as follows:

<text top="179" left="110" width="244" height="71" font="5">BOOK TITLE </text>

For some strange reason, there was no fontspec id="5" in the xml file, so I'm not sure how you interpreted the above.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
Pranananda
Connoisseur

jackie_w & Fat Abe, thanks for the positive feedback.

Abe, I just downloaded the zip files here on the original posts, and they do have the correct version (0.8.6) in them. The build times might be different because of my non automated techniques. But I did run the --version, and it reported 0.8.6.

If people are having PDFs that should work but don't, I would love to hear about it and perhaps even get the PDF that is showing any defect in the reflow logic.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #22
Pranananda
Connoisseur

There is now an installer for a Macintosh user interface. It runs on Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard, and it is in PDFReflow-0.8.6.1.dmg.zip.

The Windows version and the Ubuntu version of the user interface have been updated - PDFReflow-0.8.6.1-Setup.zip for Windows, and PDFReflow-0.8.6.1.jar.zip for Ubuntu.

The command line version remains unchanged.

The help has been corrected and enhanced on the user interface.

Last edited by Pranananda; 05-07-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, this keeps getting better and better. How about adding a box for font family, and a set of presets to automate the conversion process? I thank you for the effort you have put into the program. It is a godsend for those of us who are given documents in pdf format, but have to read them on small form factor eReaders.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Pranananda,

I'm having a few problems with a PDF I'm trying to reflow.

In the output HTML, the first few lines of each chapter are out of sequence. Also, sometimes a multi-line chapter heading has its words out-of-sequence. I have attached a 2-page extract PDF which demos the problems. I would be grateful if you could find time to look at it and advise if/where I may be going wrong.

I only set 2 parameters: Crop top = 98 and Crop bottom = 591

It doesn't surprise me that the chapter's initial DropCap might cause a problem, but the first few lines seem to be in the correct sequence in the XML but not the HTML.

In addition, an unrelated minor problem I have found is that in the reflowed HTML, the opening <body> tag seems to have been output as a closing </body> tag, i.e the file has 2 closing body tags and no opening body tag. I assume this is a coding typo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HP2page.pdf (111.4 KB, 426 views)
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #25
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books

The first 7 lines specified in the xml file are:

<text top="45" left="130" width="184" height="18" font="0">C H A P T E R S I X </text>
<text top="205" left="310" width="5" height="18" font="0"> </text>
<text top="591" left="209" width="34" height="14" font="2"> 88 </text>
<text top="221" left="79" width="289" height="25" font="3">THE JOURNEY FROM </text>
<text top="248" left="106" width="236" height="25" font="3">PLATFORM NINE </text>
<text top="275" left="66" width="315" height="25" font="3">AND THREE-QUARTERS </text>
<text top="298" left="112" width="3" height="17" font="4"> </text>

As presented, the page number 88 is specified on the 3rd line above, but is actually the last line of page 1. I have not looked at the source code for pdfreflow, but the actual line order that it should have decoded from the xml are the top locations 45, 205, 221, 248, 275, etc. However, the line heights of the sequence:

THE JOURNEY FROM
PLATFORM NINE
AND THREE-QUARTERS

cause the rendered sequence to be

THE JOURNEY FROM
AND THREE-QUARTERS
PLATFORM NINE

Just manually edit the xml file, and change the font size from 3 to 2 (in these lines), and then it will be in order again. Manually reorder the lines at top="299" and top="591". At top="463", there is a line height jump to 20 instead of the usual +16 due to an oversized font.

After analyzing the xml file (which is a product of pdftohtml), I can sympathize with those developers who are working on pdf re-flowers. They seem to have to do some form of layout decoding and correction, as well as sorting and correction, to produce a perfect result.
Attached Files
File Type: xml HP2page.xml (6.8 KB, 576 views)

Last edited by Fat Abe; 06-03-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #26
Pranananda
Connoisseur

jackie_w,

Your example is showing up bugs in both pdftohtml and pdfreflow. Fat Abe's solution will work, for getting the titles and drop cap to work, another workaround is to change:
Quote:
<fontspec id="3" size="34" family="Times" color="#000000"/>
<fontspec id="6" size="88" family="Times" color="#000000"/>
to
Quote:
<fontspec id="3" size="25" family="Times" color="#000000"/>
<fontspec id="6" size="26" family="Times" color="#000000"/>
These funny font sizes make the lines intersect each other, and the corrections above avoid this issue. There is also another pdftohtml problem with this line:
Quote:
<text top="483" left="47" width="351" height="14" font="5"><i>Magic.</i> His school books were very interesting. He lay on his bed </text>
having a smaller height than the other lines.

But there are also wrapping bugs in pdfreflow. It is wrapping too much text into some paragraphs, and getting confused about the start of new paragraphs, partly because of the drop cap.

I am away from my home and home computer until this Sunday and it may be a week after I return before I put out version with a bug fix.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Abe and Pranananda, Thank you for taking the time to explain to me.

I look forward to the next release.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
humore
humore began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon n516
It's the best I've ever seen! Being able to eliminating headers/footers and to reflow the text, it really is one of a kind! Thaaaank you, Pranananda!
humore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #29
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Looks very very good!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #30
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
I installed PDFReflow 0.8.6.1 on a Fedora 11 Linux system (I already had popper-utils), but I am unable to generate HTML output. If I run
Code:
pdftohtml -xml mybook.pdf
and then
Code:
pdfreflow mybook.xml
the PDFReflow GUI starts. If I then select the PDF document in the GUI and click Reflow, a new GUI instance is started.

When I directly run the GUI, select the PDF document and click Reflow, a new GUI instance is started.

In all these cases, no HTML output is generated.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, reflow, utility