Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
TooMuchWood
TooMuchWood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Money not an issue

Hi everybody,

I am thinking of using a work related grant to buy an e-reader. I'm not in the U.S., so the Kindle is out.

I currently have an order in for the Sony 700.

Here are my expected uses:

-fiction (mostly public domain, I can't stand the idea of paying for DRMed text)
-academic papers, with virtually no pictures/graphics, in pdf format

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a way to simulate what a document will look like on the Sony 700 using their reader software? I'd hate to install crapware just to find out that I can't.

thanks!
TooMuchWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think the reader still emulates the PRS-505, see Sony's Windows ebook Reader. The PRS-700 has two extra levels of "zoom", but this should be enough to test PDF reflow.

The other "price no object" option would be an iRex DR1000S. Which is significantly larger, and with significantly shorter battery life (unless you turn on the PRS-700's light).

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
And, seriously, if you're going to be reading a ton of PDF, you wouldn't want a Kindle anyway. It's not made for that ....

But, other than saying that, I have absolutely no advice to give you.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchWood View Post
-fiction (mostly public domain, I can't stand the idea of paying for DRMed text)
-academic papers, with virtually no pictures/graphics, in pdf format
Money is no object but you don't want to pay for books?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
TooMuchWood
TooMuchWood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Money is no object but you don't want to pay for books?

BOb
It's not the paying, its the doing what I wanting with it. DRM always, eventually, ends up being a major pain, whether it's software, music, or books.

Books! With DRM!
TooMuchWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchWood View Post
It's not the paying, its the doing what I wanting with it. DRM always, eventually, ends up being a major pain, whether it's software, music, or books.

Books! With DRM!
Agreed... so strip the DRM and be happy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote