Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
(e.g., as this "mouse vs pen" issue is fully identified).
Investigating along these lines further...

The Draw app has a custom view that implements onTouchEvent so I added some logging to see how fast that was. It seemed just as fast with my finger as with the stylus (in both cases, seemed speedy enough). I tried with Onyx's TouchHelper enabled as well as disabled with results that didn't seem different subjectively.

The time it takes for strokes to appear on the screen is slow as before of course -- so detection / responsiveness(?) does not appear slow. It seems there is something subsequent to receiving the events which is not fast enough. Does that make sense?
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #17
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Investigating along these lines further...

The Draw app has a custom view that implements onTouchEvent so I added some logging to see how fast that was. It seemed just as fast with my finger as with the stylus (in both cases, seemed speedy enough). I tried with Onyx's TouchHelper enabled as well as disabled with results that didn't seem different subjectively.

The time it takes for strokes to appear on the screen is slow as before of course -- so detection / responsiveness(?) does not appear slow. It seems there is something subsequent to receiving the events which is not fast enough. Does that make sense?
Sorry: do you mean that, in the custom application, touch and pen input trigger the events quickly, but the strokes appear with delay?
In that case, there is something wrong in the screen update.

Probably there exists a method that suspends screen update buffering?

But was not it noticed that with a mouse the experience may be surprisingly different? Have you tried to se if the inconsistency also appears in Draw?

Last edited by mdp; 03-02-2018 at 01:17 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #18
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This was the source code modifying route, but perhaps I'll try to learn about the method you suggested as well as it appears to have wider applicability.
The "unpackage, modify, repackage" way is required the moment you intend to experimentally patch OneNote, LectureNotes etc.
You cannot of course redistribute them, but the glitch will be clear and we can raise informed tickets.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:58 AM   #19
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Sorry: do you mean that, in the custom application, touch and pen input trigger the events quickly, but the strokes appear with delay?
Yes.

Quote:
In that case, there is something wrong in the screen update.

Probably there exists a method that suspends screen update buffering?
May be you are right. I need to mull this over more, but in the mean time, may be something from here is relevant:

https://github.com/onyx-intl/OnyxAnd...d#3control-pen

Quote:
But was not it noticed that with a mouse the experience may be surprisingly different? Have you tried to se if the inconsistency also appears in Draw?
I had not tried a USB mouse earlier as I didn't have an appropriate cable -- but now that I do...why, yes, it is much better with the mouse! I tried in both LectureNotesTrial and Draw and the mouse works much better in both of them.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I had not tried a USB mouse earlier as I didn't have an appropriate cable -- but now that I do...why, yes, it is much better with the mouse! I tried in both LectureNotesTrial and Draw and the mouse works much better in both of them.
There you are. See? It makes no immediate sense - we expect touch and mouse to be somehow akin. Now the problem is, what is the difference between them.

And, how is it that the embedded application from Onyx does not have that problem. The solution is already in the Onyx embedded note-taking application, and it (or another piece, maybe useful) could be hidden in the "touch vs mouse" difference.
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
There you are. See? It makes no immediate sense - we expect touch and mouse to be somehow akin. Now the problem is, what is the difference between them.
Indeed.

Quote:
And, how is it that the embedded application from Onyx does not have that problem.
Hmm, actually when I try to use the mouse or my finger with the bundled Note app, they do not produce strokes at all. They can select menu items, buttons, and the like though.

Are you able to get strokes with your finger or mouse in the bundled Note app?
Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #22
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Indeed.

Hmm, actually when I try to use the mouse or my finger with the bundled Note app, they do not produce strokes at all
Sorry, I am confused: now it seems we have three input devices, and I do not get what works how and where:
  • pen
  • touch
  • mouse
working on
  • Onyx Note-taking app
  • mainstream or simply other software
and being
  • fast
  • slow
  • not working at all
Can we sum it up? Also because I myself have confused a couple of the above in a past thread.

What I am quickly getting is:
  • Mouse, Onyx: fast
  • Mouse, ThirdParty: fast
  • Pen, Onyx: fast
  • Pen, ThirdParty: slow
  • Touch, Onyx: n/a (for drawing)
  • Touch, ThirdParty: same as pen?

Please correct me/make it more accurate if I am not getting it right.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #23
sogaiu
Addict

Where I have managed to test all three in one app is the modified Draw app mentioned before.

Onyx's stylus using their TouchHelper shows a stroke pretty much as one draws. I'd call this fast - looking at the logs, detection is fast and so is displaying the resulting stroke.

When using the mouse, it's quite noticeable that there is a gap between where the pointer is displayed and where the stroke is. One thing about using the mouse is that unlike in "ordinary" environments (e.g. PC), one doesn't see the pointer image updated enough for it to look smooth when moving the mouse -- it's jumpy. (For reference, I compared the "mouse" gap with the gap when using the bundled Note app for the original Max using the stylus. The experience of the original Max is superior.)

When drawing strokes with a finger tip, the gap appears bigger than when using the mouse.

As far as I can tell, detection is fast in all three cases, it's the resulting drawing that's slow for the mouse as well as for the finger tip.

So to summarize the delays, my current impression is:

Detection: stylus == mouse == finger
Drawing: stylus < mouse < finger

Hope this was clear.

(On a related note, I noticed in Onyx's PenStylusTouchHelperDemoActivity (part of their 'sample' sample app), when the checkbox for RawDrawingRenderEnabled is unchecked (and subsequently the PEN button is pressed), drawing with the stylus results in rectangles being drawn (w/ the just drawn one erased if the stylus is moved further). The speed of this drawing reminds me of the speed of drawing with the mouse.)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #24
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
When using the mouse, it's quite noticeable that there is a gap between where the pointer is displayed and where the stroke is. One thing about using the mouse is that unlike in "ordinary" environments (e.g. PC), one doesn't see the pointer image updated enough for it to look smooth when moving the mouse -- it's jumpy. (For reference, I compared the "mouse" gap with the gap when using the bundled Note app for the original Max using the stylus. The experience of the original Max is superior.)

When drawing strokes with a finger tip, the gap appears bigger than when using the mouse.
To be sure of that gap (especially since perception would reveal the snail to react faster), you can record a clip of tablet and monitor together and check the stills