Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
Is B&N Really this difficult?

Perhaps I did this wrong, but...

Went out to B&N this morning and bought 2 e-books. I've done this before but not for a long time. Did the credit card thing, submitted, all fine.

Went to my Nook Library or whatever they call it, and the books are there. So all that's left is to download them to the PC so I can put them on the tablet...

Can't do that directly it appears - I have to have the Nook for Windows app. Go to Windows Store and get it. Up it comes and in "My Library" are the two books.
Hit the down arrow, which it says will download them, and a progress bar says they've downloaded...

To WHERE?

Look all over the places downloads normally go and nothing. Eventually I call B&N Customer Support. Where my question appears to cause a great deal of consternation and confusion. Eventually, I make the person understand I need the location to which the epub files have been downloaded. She puts me on hold, and eventually comes back, asks if I have a "Nook", to which I reply "No", and she says "That's out of the scope of our support."

Oh..........

SO, can somebody HERE tell me where the epubs for these books are?
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post
SO, can somebody HERE tell me where the epubs for these books are?
The last time I looked, the epubs were stored in "C:\Users\%username%\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState".

If you paste the text between the "s into the Run box (popped up with Windows+R), it should open the correct directory (%username% will be replaced by your username on the computer).

I hope this is of some help to you.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Go to Calibre then click Download ebooks ... you should get the popup to add the books to caliber.... just click on each & open it in the program.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Be aware. I haven't been able to liberate my BN books for the last year and a half. I have all the Alf tools and they worked great for a long time, but they just stopped working and I haven't been able to find a work around. Except of course to buy all my books from Kobo.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Barbara1955 - Where is the "Download Books" tab? I've got several but nothing that says anything about "Download Books"... And how does it know where the books are?
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
GracieAllen
Enthusiast

DNSB, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, though there are several files in that folder, no epubs

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	178127

I believe I'll put this in the lesson learned category, say "Screw it", and move on. I had B & N reverse the transaction and I'll buy the books from Amazon.

It's faster and easier to convert Amazon books to epub than to deal with this kind of poor customer service. Clearly B&N is making enough money not to need mine.

Last edited by issybird; 04-05-2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Barbara1955 - Where is the "Download Books" tab? I've got several but nothing that says anything about "Download Books"... And how does it know where the books are?
YOU don't need to know where the books are.... Calibre & your PC will know. Just Click the tab in Calibre on the upper Left>When it opens look for NOOK ebooks > click that open then Highlight the list .... at the bottom > open ....Calibre will download them to their program on your PC..
Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Perhaps I did this wrong, but...

Went out to B&N this morning and bought 2 e-books.
Yes, you've done it wrong. What you did wrong was buy eBooks from B&N. B&N has stopped you from being able to download the eBook and remove the DRM.

Now to put them on your tablet, you'll need the nook app. That's the only way you can do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
This is not new. You can not move Nook books to other devices. B&N has been hiding your books on your PC for years and years now. I think it is smart actually on a business level. They do not want you to strip the DRM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I think it is smart actually on a business level.
To assist in putting them out of business? Smart for whom?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
To assist in putting them out of business? Smart for whom?
Exactly. People who have always stripped the DRM didn't stop doing it, they just stopped buying from B&N.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #12
GracieAllen
Enthusiast

Barbara 1955... "Just Click the tab in Calibre on the upper Left>When it opens look for NOOK ebooks > click that open then Highlight the list .... at the bottom > open ....Calibre will download them to their program on your PC.. "

Unfortunately, the above doesn't tell me anything... Which tab? If you're talking about "Add Books", there's nothing in there I've found that knows ANYTHING about where B&N is storing the epub files. Certainly nothing I'm seeing says anything about NOOK ebooks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	178126

In any case, as I said earlier, it's not a problem any more. If B&N doesn't want to let me have the epubs so I can put them on the tablet and read them, they clearly have enough money that they don't need mine. Got the books from Amazon.

Last edited by issybird; 04-05-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Yep, sadly, B&N DOES make this hard, almost impossible. I haven't bought any ebooks from them in years because of the hassle.

Glad you didn't buy more than 2!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Gracie, you have to try the B&N app for your tablet. If there is one, you can then downlod the 2 eBooks. Putting them in Calibre will do you no good at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Barbara 1955... "Just Click the tab in Calibre on the upper Left>When it opens look for NOOK ebooks > click that open then Highlight the list .... at the bottom > open ....Calibre will download them to their program on your PC.. "

Unfortunately, the above doesn't tell me anything... Which tab? If you're talking about "Add Books", there's nothing in there I've found that knows ANYTHING about where B&N is storing the epub files. Certainly nothing I'm seeing says anything about NOOK ebooks...

In any case, as I said earlier, it's not a problem any more. If B&N doesn't want to let me have the epubs so I can put them on the tablet and read them, they clearly have enough money that they don't need mine. Got the books from Amazon.
Click on the GREEN with the BLACK Plus sign in Left Hand Corner!

Last edited by issybird; 04-05-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Edited out image in quote.