Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
New Nooker Questions

Just got my nook this weekend. Right now I would say it is my favorite ereader I have owned. I have some questions for the experienced nookers out there:

1. If I setup wifi and leave it on, how much battery life will it drain?

2. Is there any way(through hacks if any) to change the usage of the 4 buttons to turn pages?

3. I want to create my own screen savers and wallpapers. If I use regular photos and scale them down to the recommend sizes, will it cause any burn ins if there is a lot of colors in the pics.

4. Using trook, I type in a url and get the feeds. Is there a way to save the urls and have them listed in the cover flow area

5. So far I purchased the silcone gravel cover, the slip case and the M-Edge go jacket case. Not sure if I like any of them too much. AS anyone used this one:
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Waxw...?cds2Pid=30351 ? I think the case looks really nice but would be interested to know how flat it lays when open and if the cover can be secured

6. I go to the gym to workout in the morning. I normally go into the dry sauna after working out. Can I take my nook in there without damaging it? I stay in there for perhaps 10 to 15 minutes

Last edited by shrktank; 02-17-2010 at 08:42 PM.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
klay
klay began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post

I think they quote 2 days usage when its not in flight mode and connected to wifi.

Quote:
3. I want to create my own screen savers and wallpapers. If I use regular photos and scale them down to the recommend sizes, will it cause any burn ins if there is a lot of colors in the pics.

I don't think the e ink technology is vulnerable to burn in. As they are just charged particles moving inside a capsule.
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From what I can tell the Wi-Fi turns off by itself when not in use. The battery life is still 5-6 days. On my Nook whenever it turn it on the Wi-Fi isn't on, once I need to use it the feature turns on.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
madmak
madmak began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
2. Is there any way(through hacks if any) to change the usage of the 4 buttons to turn pages?
None currently

Quote:
4. Using trook, I type in a url and get the feeds. Is there a way to save the urls and have them listed in the cover flow area
Yes. Keep the add feed button pressed for 3 secs and it gives a menu to bookmark. bookmarks show up under My feeds. a restart may be required for this to show up for the first time
madmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
6. I go to the gym to workout in the morning. I normally go into the dry sauna after working out. Can I take my nook in there without damaging it? I stay in there for perhaps 10 to 15 minutes
I've read in a few places that certain consumer electronics can survive in a dry sauna, but why would you want to take the chance? If I were you and since it's only 10-15 minutes, I'd wait and read when I got out.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmak View Post
None currently
Nothing is impossible:
http://nookdevs.com/Button_mappings
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Use something like this: http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/water...es-1647-0.html
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Here are the B&N ranges for temperature for the nook:

Charging
41– 95 ºF
5 – 35 ºC
Operation
32 – 104 ºF
0 – 40 ºC
Storage
5 – 113 ºF
-15 – 45 ºC

If your sauna is hotter than 104, I wouldn't use the nook in there, it might develop issues. I get nervous just toting my nook around to wait for the bus, if it's colder than freezing out.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't take my Nook into a sauna. The 10-15 minutes isn't worth it.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I agree with everyone else on the Sauna issue.

Have we discovered a way to delete content on the device? The only way I can delete right now is through Finder/Nook/My B&N Downloads
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
And after deleting it thru sideloading, the cat came back the very next day.

Soon as I turned airplane off and it went 3g my sample came back..ugh. Go away crappy book!

*edit*

Nevermind. I found it, turned out the sample downloaded twice...weird.

Had to delete from "My Digital Library" which was buried on the very bottom of the "My Account Page"

Could they have made this any more asinine?

Ehh..could be worse though. I could still have the infinite sync bug with my Sony readers. This was only mildly less annoying than deleting 60 duplicates manually on the 700 interface =)

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-23-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Oops. I'm an idiot. =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
pjxyzzy
pjxyzzy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Especially with software - nothing is EVER impossible!!!
pjxyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote