Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
docusk
docusk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Reader behaving badly!

Don't know if this is the right place to air my problems but here goes.
I've had my PRS-300 for 2 years or more and till early this year it was going fairly well. (Last year I found the page turning was extremely slow and very annoying - as long as 20 seconds to tun the next page!)
Early this month (March) the slow paging returned, sometimes cured for a short while with a recharge, but after, say, 20 mins or so it returned. Other problems are that I am unable to delete the book(s) I have just finished reading, the page finder sometimes accepts the page number, the twin Arrows appear but then, screen bottom, it says 'Reloading' and takes a long time to recover and actually go to the page I asked for.

I'm sure this can't be right so if anyone has experienced this and maybe has a cure, do please let me know?
OR if this is the wrong forum, where should I take my problem?
docusk
docusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
And you suspect the PDF/ePUB files are to blame? Else why would you post in the "E-Book Formats" category? ... If some pages have a really complex layout or contain very large, very detailed photos, it's only obvious that the page turning will be slower. But if it's slow for any book, at any page, then it's probably a hardware issue and it probably belongs in:

MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Try a different card. Preferably a lower capacity one (512 MB - 2 GB) from a brand name instead of a cheaper 4 GB+ Chinese fake.

Last edited by DSpider; 04-05-2012 at 01:35 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
docusk

Yes, wrong area of course. I am new to this forum and haven't worked out the protocols yet.
You say get a new card. What does that man? I didn't know you could add anything to the reader. Can you explain for me? Thanks
docusk
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You cannot change the memory card in the PRS-300. It might be your battery though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
docusk

Thanks to all who replied with help. What a great forum this is. Though it didn't solve my problem it pointed the way. I'm certain I need a new battery. This one dates from late 2009 and has been (on and off) in constant use since. I have the documents to return for upgrade and renewal of Batt. and it should go off to Sony next week.
Thanks again folks.
docusk
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just order a new one on ebay. Saves you a lot of money...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
docusk

How much is new Sony PRS-??? on E-bay? Whatever is the current one available? This one was about £140 from John Lewis in 2009-2010. The plain \Kindle is a good bit less.
docusk
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

No no, just order a new battery for the PRS-300 on eBay. That will cost you around 10 pound (you are in the UK, right?).
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
docusk

Oh. Right and yes I'm in the UK, Royal Berkshire to be precise.
How much of a job is it to replace the battery do you think and are there any directions anywhere???
I'm OK with my hands but my brain is 83 years old and not always communicating quickly with my hands!
docusk
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Sony forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first thing I'd do would be to try a "factory reset" and see if that helps. You'll lose all your content, so make sure you have it backed up first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
When I had the 300 (gave it to my sister when I got the 350) if I put too many books on it (I think over 100 books) it would really slow down the page turn.

I would also try a factory reset as Harry suggested (with your books backed up).
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
docusk

Should have said earlier L D. I did what was suggested and blow me down, IT WORKED!. I now have instant paging back and I can delete books after reading. I haven't got that many but I will remember that tip now. I've written the suggestions out in my little black book in case it all goes belly up again.
Thanks for all the kind help I have received from the Forum. Superb Band of Brothers (& Sisters I expect)
docusk
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Great that it is working for you. If you want to replace the battery later on, it is very simple. There are instruction floating around, but it essentially comes down to removal of the tiny screws of the plastic edge and then carefully remove that edge. Than the backplate can be removed/slided out. The battery is then plainly visible. It took me literally 5 minutes.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
docusk

Wow! You are a very important friend to keep in mind. I can never work out how guys like you can store all that knowledge.
I can hardly remember what I've gone into the bathroom for till I remember , 'oh, my bladder is full!'

Thanks a bunch. I've archived your reply ready for when I need that new battery. Blesss you too, as I do love my PRS-300 and my Reacher and Grisham novels not forgetting Scarpetta Reichs, Ludlum and so on.
Bloodthirsty old son of a gun 'ain't I?

docusk