Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Modifying Extensions.cfg File

Hi.

I mainly read epubs on my PB360, mostly with FBreader. I'm using svenni's extensions.cfg file to make FBreader my default reader when opening a book. Oh, except I ALWAYS forget when I go to open a library book and it can't open in FBreader. Why I don't remember that FBreader can't open DRM'd library books I'll never know. But, that's another story...

My problem is with PDF files, whether they are mine or the library's DRM'd ones. With the extensions.cfg file ("hack"?), pdfviewer is set up to be the default. Well, IMHO, Adobe PDF reader does a better job than pdfviewer in reading [reflowed] PDF novels, which are essentially text-based.

So, I went rummaging in the extensions.cfg file and found this line:

pdf:@PDF_file:1:pdfviewer.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON _PDF

If I reverse the two, and make the line read like this...

pdf:@PDF_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app:ICON _PDF

...will that then make Adobe my default program for PDF files - without changing anything else?

It seems logical to me and I'm pretty sure it'll work, but, then again, I'm not really a programmer...and I sure don't want to muck about in the extensions.cfg and trash my reader!

Any thoughts, suggestions or agreements will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yes it will.
You could add other reader apps to the mix, too.
Like, if somebody ports Coolreader3 over, you could make it an option for Mobi or if the GIK tweak the 302 webkit browser for the PB360, you could use that as the default for HTML.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Hi.

I mainly read epubs on my PB360, mostly with FBreader. I'm using svenni's extensions.cfg file to make FBreader my default reader when opening a book. Oh, except I ALWAYS forget when I go to open a library book and it can't open in FBreader. Why I don't remember that FBreader can't open DRM'd library books I'll never know. But, that's another story...

My problem is with PDF files, whether they are mine or the library's DRM'd ones. With the extensions.cfg file ("hack"?), pdfviewer is set up to be the default. Well, IMHO, Adobe PDF reader does a better job than pdfviewer in reading [reflowed] PDF novels, which are essentially text-based.

So, I went rummaging in the extensions.cfg file and found this line:

pdf:@PDF_file:1dfviewer.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON _PDF

If I reverse the two, and make the line read like this...

pdf:@PDF_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app:ICON _PDF

...will that then make Adobe my default program for PDF files - without changing anything else?

It seems logical to me and I'm pretty sure it'll work, but, then again, I'm not really a programmer...and I sure don't want to muck about in the extensions.cfg and trash my reader!

Any thoughts, suggestions or agreements will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marilyn
correct, the first entry is the first (default) in choice. Except the document where u already selected another reader before.

Edit:
Crap, one minute to slow

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 06-21-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Too slow
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes it will.
You could add other reader apps to the mix, too.
Like, if somebody ports Coolreader3 over, you could make it an option for Mobi or if the GIK tweak the 302 webkit browser for the PB360, you could use that as the default for HTML.
I've already started using the beta browser for HTML files. Most of what I read is text only and it works great. It works for images too. The two lines I changed are

htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,brow ser.app:ICON_HTM
html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,bro wser.app:ICON_HTM

I should probably change that to make the browser the default.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reassurances, all. I'll change my file.

Jim, you said you have this for your HTML reader:
Quote:
htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,brow ser.app:ICON_HTM
html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,bro wser.app:ICON_HTM
Is there really a space in the word browser, or is that the way it's displaying on here?

Again, thanks, y'all for the quick responses.

Marilyn
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uh, Jim; you're talking 302, right?
'Cause when I tried the current browser app on my PB360 it loaded fine, but I couldn't get it to do anything. I assumed it was for lack of a touch screen.
Do you know if the Beta webkit browser is usable without touch?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Jim, you said you have this for your HTML reader:

Is there really a space in the word browser, or is that the way it's displaying on here?
That's just the way it displays. Looks that way for me too. There is no space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, Jim; you're talking 302, right?
'Cause when I tried the current browser app on my PB360 it loaded fine, but I couldn't get it to do anything. I assumed it was for lack of a touch screen.
Do you know if the Beta webkit browser is usable without touch?
Yes, I have a 302. I don't know if it will work without a touch screen. I have keys mapped for forward and backward and they will scroll the web page up and down. Somebody with a 360 will have to test if it works. I suspect the beta browser is made specifically for the PB302.

Out of curiosity, are you using the minibrowser (it's built into the PB302) or the beta browser? I downloaded that from the firmware discussion thread. The minibrowser was pretty much worthless.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

The Beta.
I was wondering if there was a newer one than the one I tested that (at least) supported buttons for calling up the keyboard.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Thank you! It never occurred to me that the Adobe viewer would be better so I never tried it. It is much superior to PDF viewer in clarity! I made the .cfg changes you suggested and am much happier with PDFs now!

-Marcy

PS - Where in western NY? I used to live thereabouts.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Mickey330
Addict

Marcy -

Yeah, I have issues with Adobe (mainly 'cause of the stoooopid way they deal with ADE authorizations) - but I have to admit they do a good job re-flowing text.

I live in a little town about 1/2 hour south of Rochester. Beautiful countryside around here...

Marilyn

P.S. Thanks for the K!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Now OT: Western NY

Quote:
I live in a little town about 1/2 hour south of Rochester. Beautiful countryside around here...
I've lived in many places in NY, but the closest to that was the three years I spent in hell, um, Buffalo. My first boyfriend was from Spencerport which I believe is a bit west of Rochester. Many moons ago. Decades of moons in fact...

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Mickey330
Addict

Still OT - Western NY

Small world. My aunt lived in Spencerport until she passed away a few years back.

Back on topic: I've modified my extensions.cfg file and all is good. Yay for Pocketbook and all the people who know how to - and are willing to - hack away at it!

Marilyn