Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
marcostt
marcostt began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Crashing when openning an epub

Hi.

First at all, thanks a lot for this software, really great.

I am making my first epub and all is going great.

But what I have noted it is that I can not open an epub, when I try to open an epub dont maked by sigil, the program crashes.

I work since Mac, Leopard.

I dont know if somebody have the same experience.

Thank in advance.
marcostt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostt View Post
But what I have noted it is that I can not open an epub, when I try to open an epub dont maked by sigil, the program crashes
If the epub you're opening was made with calibre, that issue has been fixed and will be in the next release. The bug was not in Sigil however, but in zip modules Calibre uses. I implemented a workaround so it shouldn't be a problem any more.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
marcostt

Yes, it was with an epub made with Calibre. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
marcostt

Another bug is that the program crashes very often just when is saving a document.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Another bug is that the program crashes very often just when is saving a document.
Witch OS are you using? I do not have any problems with the save function (using Sigil on Win and JJ)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Same bug I believe. Try building from source and see if it goes away.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
marcostt

Mac, Leopard.

Yes, using source goes better, but still crash sometimes.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
Mac, Leopard.

Yes, using source goes better, but still crash sometimes.
Try to create a test case that replicates the problem and then create an issue for it.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
marcostt

Sorry, I dont understand or I dont know how to do it.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
Sorry, I dont understand or I dont know how to do it.
Well is it one or the other?

What I want you to do is create a minimal step-by-step procedure that when followed always causes a crash. Then create an issue on the tracker with this procedure and I will be able to find the cause of the crash and fix it.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
marcostt

I see... the problem is I can not see a pattern of behavior... sometimes I can work and save for a long time, and another I just can save once, and in the second try to save crashes. Maybe it crash more often when I move images and try to save after that, but noy always.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I see... the problem is I can not see a pattern of behavior... sometimes I can work and save for a long time, and another I just can save once, and in the second try to save crashes. Maybe it crash more often when I move images and try to save after that, but noy always.
This is why Valloric is asking you to spend the time to experiment and find a way to always cause the crash. Because otherwise he just has a report that it sometimes crashes on save, and if it never does it on his system, the bug will take a long time to be fixed.

If you do spend the time and come up with a reliable way to cause the crash, it can probably be fixed very quickly.

It is possible that it's a random crash - dependent on some bit of memory have a particular value that isn't set by the code. In that case, the best you can do is find a sequence of events that will (say) cause the crash to happen one time in three. Even that would be a lot better as a bug report.

It's a sad fact, but reporting a bug well is often as much work as fixing the bug.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's a sad fact, but reporting a bug well is often as much work as fixing the bug.
Very much so.
  1. Making a repeatable test case takes time;
  2. Finding out the cause of the bug takes even longer;
  3. Fixing the bug is usually trivial.