Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 12:40 AM   #31
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I haven't had to manually build anything in a long time on Linux. The closest I've come is installing stuff from the AUR, but that's just a couple clicks in a package manager and it does the needful automatically.

EDIT: I'd rather be running Debian on this pinebook pro, but Debian doesn't really run well on it.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 10-02-2020 at 12:43 AM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #32
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Sure, sure. SiS videocard? You need to compile. Epson scanner/printer? Compile again! (Or use a generic driver that enables some 10% of a printer's features). Install F-Spot (an app newer than Windows 7)? Nope, it already bit-rotten.

Linux is built around a primitive and obsolete architecture. It is not suitable for desktop or running any complex software due to lack any kind of user-level API past the ridiculously obsolete POSIX.
I feel like complaining about hardware support in Linux is silly because while the Linux community has created tremendous support for various hardware devices that their manufacturer will never do, they can't do everything. Blame the hardware maker for not supporting Linux properly. Should I blame Microsoft because my Asterisk PBX card doesn't support Windows?

And SiS video cards? Those are what 20+ years old AND bad on release? If you really really need a PCI graphics card I'm sure there's thousands of Radeon 9000s or whatever eBay that'll work FAR better for peanuts. Pretty sure I can't use an SiS card on Windows 10 or even 7 either.

Software is because libraries change. If you really care about F-spot take the time
to package into a Snap or Flatpak with it's ancient libraries and it'll keep working fine.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #33
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as the Windows/10, is in fact, GNU/NT, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus NT. The Windows Subsystem for Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather the only free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “the Windows Subsystem for Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a NT, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. NT is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system, but now also with GNU: the whole system is basically Windows and GNU with NT added, or GNU/Windows/NT. All the so-called “Windows Subsystem for Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/NT.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #34
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Pretty sure I can't use an SiS card on Windows 10 or even 7 either.
Of course you can use them on anything from WinXP to Win8.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote