Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #1
Lauriso
Lauriso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Losing my mind trying to crop and convert this PDF.

I have a pdf that looks like this. I have acquired in legally via my university for studies, and want to convert it to mobi for Kindle reading. But as you can see it is stamped with copyright notices on the left and bottom. When I tried cropping them, I realized the information doesn't really go away, and the mobi result is:

*copyright text converted to mobi text every page
*actual book text inserted as images

Then I used Acrobat pro to "remove hidden information" after cropping.

However, now instead of the copyright text I get "g by pp" every page, and the result is the same. What can I dooooo?

Lauriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is probably little you can do. PDF files are notoriously bad at converting to other formats. You are going to get best results by simply loading the PDF file to the Kindle and using the PDF reading capability built into the Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is probably little you can do. PDF files are notoriously bad at converting to other formats. You are going to get best results by simply loading the PDF file to the Kindle and using the PDF reading capability built into the Kindle.
+1

BTW AZW3 is usually a better choice for most conversions.
The issue with PDF is it is not a Linear layout format, but a 'paste up' format (put this chunk over there ...)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

@Lauriso - that said, if you do want to convert the PDF to a Kindle format it's unlikely that you'll be able to do it in a single step with a single tool.

So, apart from Acrobat, what other tools have you tried to make use of?

If the book is a collection of images, you'll need to apply an OCR tool to extract the text into a more useful format - plain text, docx, markup etc. OCR invariably misreads things e.g. 'modem' for 'modern'; so, you'll have to edit that output probably with a word processor or text editor, before converting it. And conversion may need to be a 2 step process, into ePub for typographical formatting, then into the Kindle format best suited to your particular device (KF8, MOBI, whatever).

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
Lauriso
Lauriso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all, thanks for your replies!

I resorted to simply OCRing the text out via Acrobat, and pasting it into a Word document. Simpler than I thought, layout isn't perfect, but I can red it .
Lauriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert