Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
hf11
hf11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook won't open if I copy it to another location

I had trouble opening an ebook which I downloaded but fixed the problem by copying it to another location, extracting the file, re-zipping it and extracting it again.

Now I can open the ebook in it's new location, but if I try and copy it anywhere else it won't open. The message I get is - "Failed to read book". Click "Show Details" for more information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 284, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 65, in extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\html_in put.py", line 87, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1292, in create_oebbook
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\reader.py", line 72, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\reader.py", line 703, in _all_from_opf
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\reader.py", line 348, in _spine_from_opf
OEBError: Spine is empty

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Last edited by hf11; 09-12-2018 at 05:14 AM.
hf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
hf11
hf11 began at the beginning.

I think this could have something to do with the epub file being moved out of it's original folder. When I try moving the whole folder with the epub/content file inside it, it seems to be okay.

I've cut the epub/content file out of it's folder on a lot of ebooks before though and it didn't seem to cause any problems.
hf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It should not matter where you put an EPUB unless the EPUb has some external references in it, which is highly unlikely, but hard ot be sure without access to the EPUB in question.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@hf11 - EPUBs are a file, what do you mean by cutting the "epub/content" file out of its folder? You shouldn't need to unpack an EPUB to read it, much less remove remove anything.

What OS are you on and what was the download source ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No User Serviceable Parts Inside

The EPUB file is the book with all the pieces needed.
If you break open the 'book' and rip out a piece, what you end up with is like removing a piston from an engine block. You end up with a broken engine
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert