JanSH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I was thinking maybe within weeks, not hours
JanSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #32
skassmir
skassmir began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD
I have the same problem. It started after I downloaded v3.31. I uninstalled and reinstalled v3.30 with no success. Here is my error message:

calibre, version 3.30.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines
File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
ImportError: No module named polyglot.builtins
skassmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nconnor View Post
Happening on Mac as well, so I suspect it's not an MS issue.
I think you are correct. Someone figured out deleting the metadata cache.json did a 1-shot fix. so something is probably corrupting the cache
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #34
janus56
janus56 will become famous soon enoughjanus56 will become famous soon enoughjanus56 will become famous soon enoughjanus56 will become famous soon enoughjanus56 will become famous soon enoughjanus56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 2
The same problem and the same error message.
No problem in laptop which I have opened the first time after month.
janus56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #35
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The string "polyglot.builtins" appears in a set of source code changes recently made by Kovid.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #36
Stealsack
Stealsack began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Can confirm that Win 64 3.21.0 has the issue.
Deleting the metadata-sources-cache.json allows me to search metadata again.
Stealsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #37
mikberger
mikberger began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same problem here.
OSX 10.13.6 on a Macbook Pro.

Love Calibre. Thankyou.
mikberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #38
Mireille005
Mireille005 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, but bear in mind that the only person who can fix this is Kovid Goyal who lives in India where it's currently the middle of the night. So let's keep expectations realistic
Than poor Kovid Goyal to wake up to a community in turmoil.
On the other hand, he knows Calibre is really loved!
Mireille005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #39
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Same problem.
I've no doubt it will be fixed soon but it is a scary reminder of how much I depend on Calibre. I hope Kovid isn't planning to retire anytime soon.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #40
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Same problem

I have done many of the same troubleshooting steps others have taken above and also, like others, Calibre had worked earlier. Laptop running Win7

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins

Last edited by lburg801; 09-10-2018 at 05:55 PM.
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #41
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think you are correct. Someone figured out deleting the metadata cache.json did a 1-shot fix. so something is probably corrupting the cache
Where can I find that cache file on my PC?
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Where can I find that cache file on my PC?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	166198

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #43
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Edit: Spoke too soon. That worked for the first book I tried, and now it's back to telling me it can't find metadata, even when I have the isbn.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 09-10-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The string "polyglot.builtins" appears in a set of source code changes recently made by Kovid.
But, that change was made after 3.31 was released, in fact only a few hours ago. How could it immediately affect everyone on every platform.

Surely Kovid wouldn't be pushing changes. Timebomb. The metadata-sources-cache.json contains code that appears to import from polyglot.builtins

Be interesting to know if anyone who runs calibre from very latest source is getting the problem.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #45
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But, that change was made after 3.31 was released, in fact only a few hours ago. How could it immediately affect everyone on every platform.

Surely Kovid wouldn't be pushing changes. Timebomb. The metadata-sources-cache.json contains code that appears to import from polyglot.builtins

Be interesting to know if anyone who runs calibre from very latest source is getting the problem.

BR
I started experiencing this last night, and I didn't install the 3.31 patch until about an hour ago. Deleting the cache worked for the first book I tried downloading metadata for, but doesn't work with any subsequent attempts, even if I have an isbn for them.