Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
fflanders
fflanders began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
epub validation error:

Hi. I am relatively new to this. I have created many epub files in the past for kindle, but there were no errors with the amazon kindle validation tool. However, now I am trying my hand at creating an epub for smashwords, using the same epub file with the EpubCheck version 4.0.2.

It generated the error below. It mentions the line and position, but unsure if this an actual visible error in that location that I can 'delete' or some invisible code there that must be omitted or corrected. I am perplexed and would appreciate any help in how to rectify this:

Type:ERROR
File:OEBPS/content.opf
Line:11
Position: 31

Date value 'September' is not valid as per http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime:[For input string: "September"] is not an integer.

Last edited by fflanders; 06-08-2018 at 09:45 AM.
fflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A date on that particular line (or very close to it) is not in the correct format. Whether or not you can delete it depends on if it's part of a required element or not.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
fflanders

Like I say, it's nothing visual that I can see to delete...
Old 06-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Do you have an entry around line 11 something like
<dc:date>*September*</dc:date>

If so, I think you need to change the date format to something that looks more like
<dc:date>2017-09-08T20:44:32.304000+00:00</dc:date>
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
fflanders

Thanks jackie_w for the response.

How would I see something like:

I understand that epub is essentially html(?) How would I gain access to see the bit of code to omit it and then resave it?

Is this something I can do within inDesign where I created the file or is there a freeware program I can download to see it, remove it, and resave it?

Thanks so much.
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Open in with an archive manager and look inside the content.opf file.

Alternatively, you can install Sigil, but it messes up the EPUB structure so not recommended.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Alternatively, you can install Sigil, but it messes up the EPUB structure so not recommended.
Are you sure about it messing up the structure? If so please report it in the Sigil forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are you sure about it messing up the structure?
Yes? Sigil makes folders like "Text", "Images", "Misc", and puts files there despite the original structure.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Yes? Sigil makes folders like "Text", "Images", "Misc", and puts files there despite the original structure.
However the Epub is still one that works correctky

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
lol - that's called "organization". It can be different than what you have, so I would characterize it as "Sigil could change the structure" NOT messes it up. As PeterT mentions, it's still a perfectly valid and usable epub.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
fflanders

The file has been perfectly usable for kindle as an epub. However, I am trying to ensure it is usable for smashwords (and smashwords suggests using the validator which found this error). Is this error something minor and/or insignificant that can be simply overlooked?

Or should I do as Sarmat89 suggested and open with an archive manager and look inside the content.opf file to find and make the correction?

If the latter, can someone suggest a freeware archive manger to do this with as I am unfamiliar with any of this.

thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
fflanders

I have attempted to do what was suggested - looking inside the content.opf file
... but in all likelihood, did not go about it the correct file. I opened the file in dreamweaver and found the line:

And changed it as suggested. However, when you resave the file with dreamweaver it adds the suffix xhtml to .opf, so it reads: opf.xhtml

So I then renamed the file by omitting the .html
I then rezipped the contents and changed the file type from .zip to .epub

When I did this method and redid the validator, I now have this error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2018-06-11_144819_validator.idpf.org.png
Views:	210
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	164432
Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
The error messages seem to suggest you now have an epub file contained within the epub.

Start again and this time either use Sigil or Calibre's epub editor or use basic tools such as 7-zip to open the epub file and the editor in 7-Zip to make the edit to the opf file, then when you save the modified opf it should update the archive (epub)

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflanders View Post
Date value 'September' is not valid as per http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime:[For input string: "September"] is not an integer.
Simply open your epub with Calibre Editor and update the <dc:date> entry.
For example:

Code:
<dc:date>2017-09-01</dc:date>
<dc:date>2018-09-01</dc:date>
If you have a Windows machine and don't want to install Calibre:
  1. Change the file extension from .epub to .zip.
  2. Double-click the .zip file and extract the .opf file.
  3. Update the .opf file.
  4. Overwrite the .opf file in the .zip file with the updated version.
  5. Close the .zip file.
  6. Change the file extension to .epub.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you created this epub with InDesign, I'd be looking for a way to make sure it didn't generate invalid date metadata in the first place, myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epubcheck error, integer, smashwords