Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
booklover
Enthusiast
booklover began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd ed.
any way to solve the writing 'gap' of the stylus?

I noticed sometimes there was a gap between the spot I placed my stylus and lines it actually draws. It is especially frequent when writing near the edge of the screen. Why that? Do all wacom device behave like this? Is there any way to work around? Thank you.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
Why that?
Because the "radio sender" in the pen is not exactly at the tip of it, but a bit above. So depending how you hold the pen, the sender is actually on another spot then the tip of it.

Quote:
Do all wacom device behave like this?
Afaik, yes. At least I explicitly tested with a HP tabled PC of a friend. It was far worse there than on the iLiad.

Quote:
Is there any way to work around?
Calibrate the device in the way, you naturally hold the pen, including edges, if you tilt upward your pen at edges, calibrate it exactly like this there. I know its difficult to hold the pen the same way as when natural writing, 'cause its somehow a special situation.

other than that, when you turn the iLiad or the pen in another way than calibrated, there is a gap. I recognize this most time when underlining. I'm trained to hold my paper and pen differently then, so I can use the natural "woosh" of my hand to make a straight line. There are 2 ways to workaround: either draw a line like normal writing (i hate this), or make the line elsewhere so it appears where you want (i do this now, I learned that striking through the text most times underlines it nicely)

Last edited by axel77; 04-22-2008 at 10:32 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
booklover
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply. I'll try recalibrate the pen again.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Suggestion

Hi Booklover,

I agree with axell77 that calibrating your pen the way you "normally" write should help, but one more thing that will help even more would be to buy a Wacom Cross Executive Pen - Capless (UPCROSS2)...a little expensive but really worth it...write smoothly without noticeable gap...

Just a thought....

Thanks,

D.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
The executive pen suggestion is great, thanks.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

The gap is smaller with the pen, or less noticeablt because you hold it more natural, but its still there..

Still if you plan to use the iLiad as notepad I can only advice this pen!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
The gap is smaller with the pen, or less noticeablt because you hold it more natural, but its still there..

Still if you plan to use the iLiad as notepad I can only advice this pen!
I agree, though it all goes to pot if you turn the iLiad on it's side to draw, as I often need to.

When using the Cross pen, remember to remove the standard stylus from it's slot though, in order to turn the touch screen on.

Also remember that calibration will apply to EITHER the Cross pen OR the standard stylus - if you occasionally use the one you haven't calibrated, it'll probably be even worse than before!

Mark

Last edited by MarkRPenn; 04-23-2008 at 06:28 AM.
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
booklover
Enthusiast

I just tried the recalibrating thing. and here's my experiment result: DO NOT recalibrate your pen in your natural way of holding it but keep the pen upright during the calibrating. The reason is I often read books in landscape and I found every time I change to landscape mode I had to recalibrate the pen in the landscape-ly "natural way". So i decide that the upright position is the best, it works in either mode, as long as you keep your pen upright! and that's something I can control.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
axel77
Fanatic

Yes, I'm recalibrating everytime I turn around the iLiad

(This could be fixed in software however!)
Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
fabian
Enthusiast
fabian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
jep - they should really add a second calibration for landscape mode
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
The "gap" is a "feature" of the cheap Wacom digitizers - i.e. the ones that get built into Tablet PC's (and iLiad). It isn't caused by software, it isn't caused by (mis)calibration, it isn't caused by the angle of the pen or any such thing. It's caused by intereference / layout errors in the digitizer grid itself.

It's present in some cheap Wacom tablets too (Graphire/Volito/Bamboo), although it's usually less noticable. It's always near the edge of the screen/tablet, which makes it quite a nuisance when you try dragging a scroll bar (and end up resizing the window ).
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote