Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Speculation thread: How will Amazon react to new Nook and Kobo?

Hi folks,

let's tell fortunes what Amazon's next step will be after Barnes and Noble released their new Nook and Kobo their new Kobo Touch. I'd say Amazon has to come out with something completely new. They can't only mimic the same IR touchscreen feature alone. So I predict they will launch the first reader based on plastic display (again exclusively only for Amazon for at least a half year) with a better resolution (300 dpi), with touch, no keyboard, for $99 (they always undercut the prices with a new reader) in the autumn.

What's your guess?

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't see the need for Amazon to react at all. There's absolutely nothing new or technically-innovative in the new B&N device - it's effectively a low-cost copy of the Sony PRS-650. I don't think Amazon are going to be the least bit worried about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I agree with you, Harry. All over the net people are expressing OP's sentiments. Why should Amazon be in a panic over any of this? I'm sure they are not. They already have a superior product.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I think that's the best reason ever. Something similar or even a bit better (touch, EPUB) for the same price. Amazon always had the incentive to be the price leader or at least to have the best device. I like my Kindle 3 and wouldn't change it for one of the new readers, because I don't need touch. But if I had to buy me a new reader in a month, Kindle 3 looks outdated compared to both new readers.

So how is their product superior? I would say it is at most comparable.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The B&N device looks very nice, no doubt about it, and I'm sure that it will sell very well. It's a lot cheaper than the Sony PRS-650, and if someone wants a touch-screen ePub reader this certainly looks like the one to get (for people in the US - B&N don't sell anywhere else). But it's not competing in Amazon's market sector, and I really do see no need to Amazon to "react" to it.
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
They have already reacted..the $164 KSO 3g; and I would expect more soon. Perhaps expediting the "library" epub stuff that we're hearing about, w/ a new firmware.

The only problem I have w/ my K3 vs The Simple Reader is all these button pushes, vs one touch screen press. It's not their fault though as technology changes fast....not sure I want fingerprints on my Kindle screen anyways. And, the new Nook has not been tested yet...we'll see about fingerprints/dirt, a browser, and real life battery life.

Free 3g will hold the competition off till the new "K" comes out......even though I only opted for the wifi (wish I got the 3g).
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know how anyone could possibly say that the $164 KSO 3g is a reaction to anything B&N or Kobo did. I'm sure that has been in the works for a long time, at least as long as the $114 KSO was in the planning stages. They just rolled the other one out first.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't know how anyone could possibly say that the $164 KSO 3g is a reaction to anything B&N or Kobo did.
May 24, 2011 + New Nook = Amazon $164 KSO............what more evidence do you need.

As I said, this is only the beginning. Amazon intends to "RE"-own this market.....you'll see.

Last edited by markdek; 05-25-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Are you kidding. Yeah and that apple ipad tablet thingy will never sell either what with its shorter battery life and greater weight. ....I know that we already own Kindles but lets be honest. These new Nook and Kobo readers use a touch screen technology that does not obscure the readability of the screen, unlike the Sony. They use far faster processors than the Kindle and they scroll around pdfs smoothly. They are smaller than a k3 and have a definite "cool" factor. The Kindle has been getting some customer loyalty hits in how it handled DX upgrades and this certainly does not help its image. Ad driven kindles for a nominal discount is not going to build followers. In 2010, the less readable nook made huge market share gains selling color to its followers. These new devices, smaller, faster and more touchy, could further erode the kindle market share if Amazon does not rethink its product and support. Frankly, I think Amazon is aware of this, in part at least, and will have a new device out in the next few months. Amazon better hope that "ad driven" is not the best they have to offer in 2011.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
markdek
Addict

STingo, I agree w/ everything you said above (accept about the IR screen)............darn, nothing to bitch about.

Last edited by markdek; 05-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
These new Nook and Kobo readers use a touch screen technology that does not obscure the readability of the screen, unlike the Sony.
No, they are using exactly the same IR beam touch-screen that Sony use. You're perhaps thinking of the older Sony devices which did use a touch-screen technology that reduced the clarity of the screen. Both the screen itself and the touch-screen technology of this B&N device is identical to that of the Sony PRS-650, as I said in an earlier post.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
markdek
Addict

Anyone know if Calibre works, or works well, w/ the Nook?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
No need to react, but i don't have a need for a touch screen. A week ago i made a dictionary lookup speedcontest against a friend of mine with a sony 650. 9 times out of 10 i was faster with my kindle. So everything is bright on the kindle front and no smudges on the screen.
regards
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Oh like they said Oh no! We better do something! I know, lets release the KSO 164! Quick, tell the boys over in development to make it happen today!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I don't know how anyone could possibly say that the $164 KSO 3g is a reaction to anything B&N or Kobo did.
They have put press release out late in the evening, immediately after the new Kobo touch and discount on Kobo Original (to $99!) was announced
Quote:
I'm sure that has been in the works for a long time, at least as long as the $114 KSO was in the planning stages. They just rolled the other one out first.
I am sure that it was, indeed, in works for some time, but they might have waited for an opportunity such as this one. It is not like they need to manufacture a new device. They flip some flag when activating device and they need to update their on-line database with "new" product.

Last edited by kacir; 05-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote