Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
Well at the bottom right of my Firefox browser, I see a padlock icon with the text app.firstusa.com. When moving my mouse pointer over this icon, the text "Authenticated by VeriSign Trust Network" appears, so it can't be all that bad...

Last edited by bigumpah; 07-08-2007 at 03:48 PM.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
spsyk
spsyk began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigumpah View Post
Well at the bottom right of my Firefox browser, I see a padlock icon with the text app.firstusa.com. When moving my mouse pointer over this icon, the text "Authenticated by VeriSign Trust Network" appears, so it can't be all that bad...

That is reassuring, however how come none of the principals are aware of the offer, and when you contact the email that they respond with no one there also knows nothing of the offer "CHASE BANK"

And if it takes up to thirty day for credit verification, how it that going to apply to acquiring the Sony eReader.

I guess that I am confused, uninformed, and concerned.

This offer seems to good to be true, and I clicked on the link to get to the site, applied, so I am sure that its too late to do anything about it, without just remaining hopeful that everything is legit.
spsyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsyk View Post
Sony knows nothing about it, Sony Credit knows nothing about it, Chase Bank knows nothing about it.
A reader on the other thread discussing this indicated he contacted Chase and they received his wife's application. It appears that application is going where it is supposed to go. That would make it legit. Another poster indicating he talked to the folks at Sony Rewards and it appears they are aware of the offer.

Did you talk to Chase? Did you ask them if they received the application you submitted online?

Last edited by Lov2Read; 07-08-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #19
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
30 days before approval will be rather tight considering that we have until the end of July to register the Reader and take advantage of the $150 credit deal from the Sony Connect store.

As for you being possibly compromised, I wish I could say something to reassure you. I myself was a victim of a bank scam two months ago. I lost $5000 when my debit card was compromised. Happily, the bank reimbursed me within days. I was one of the 13 people at my branch to whom this happened to in the exact time frame. On a late Friday night, the thieves started withdrawing sums of money from one of my accounts. They proceeded to deposited a dummy or bogus amount of $10,000 into my account and then continued withdrawing even more money. I had only discovered that something was amiss by late Saturday morning.

What I found eerie was the bank manager's statement that the crooks most likely had my bank info for weeks if not months.

Well that's my story for the day.

Last edited by bigumpah; 07-08-2007 at 04:57 PM.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigumpah View Post
30 days before approval will be rather tight considering that we have until the end of July to register the Reader and take advantage of the $150 credit deal from the Sony Connect store.
I read on another forum that a guy who applied recieved an e-mail from Sony within 5 days of submitting his application with instructions on how to go about getting the reader. Thus, it would appear that the 30 approval process is just default for the bank, and not necessarily the length of time for this deal.

On the other thread on this forum on this issue, another poster indicated that Chase told him his card would be issued this coming week.

This could probably be done in a more straightforward, easier fashion, but then again, we are dealing with Sony.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
spsyk
spsyk began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 7100
Thanks

Thanks for the additional information, when I called the people that I thought should of had information about receiving my app and what knowledge they had of the offer, and they could not respond, and I was dubious.

Hopefully, I will receive confirmation shortly, and be able to acquire a new Sony ereader for the offered price.

I have been in the market for a long time for an ereader, that I just over reacted at this particular offer and without really thinking just clicked on the link and applied. ( not a good idea to click on links and give financial information, I know better.)

However $ 50.00 for a Sony ereader is just to good to be not taken advantage of, for if something better comes to replace the Sony, I will still have the Sony till that day comes.
spsyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #22
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Offer is apparently legitimate

I called Chase Credit Card Services and read them the long, convoluted URL for the Sony Card application and they told me that it is indeed their legitimate site. So, assuming they don't run out of readers before I get my card approved and such, its a PRS-500 for $49.95! Even if a new model comes out next week, that's still a steal!
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Well, I applied, and got a confirmation email telling me they'd get back to me in 30 days.

Has anyone gotten approved or found out how to get the Reader?
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
DotGone
DotGone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I've been approved since the Sony card is already showing in my Chase account. Haven't received my card yet to attempt to redeem the reader nor received an email yet but the URL you're supposed to go to in order to redeem the offer, according to someone who received the email, is a dead one. Been looking at this device for a while now so I'm really looking forward to getting it.
DotGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Love2Read has gotten the skinny on that, from this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2Read View Post
If you got good credit that is!

From TeleRead:

Quote:
Sony Card Announces Exciting New Acquisition Opportunity with Sony® Reader

Park Ridge, N.J., July 6, 2007 – Sony Card(SM) has introduced an exciting new incentive for consumers to acquire the Sony Card. Effective immediately, consumers who apply for the Sony Card and are approved, through this special offer only, have the opportunity to purchase the new Sony Portable Reader for only $49.95*. In addition, each new card member is entitled to receive up to $149.00 in eBooks!** when they authorize their Portable Reader by July 31, 2007.

Sony Card will make this offer available to all new Sony Card Members via a variety of media during the next few months.

The Sony Reader is a revolutionary product specifically designed for travelers who enjoying reading their favorite novels, but do not have the luxury of space to carry them. More information on this exciting new technology can be found at sony.com/reader.
Offer Overview:

To purchase the Reader for this low price, customers must apply and be approved for the Sony Card through this specific offer only.

The Reader can only be purchased at this special price at SonyRewards.com, the official online home of the Sony Card and it cannot be combined with any other Sony Card offers. New cardmembers must register their new Sony Card at SonyRewards.com, once their Card has been successfully registered, they can redeem the Reader and the reduced price will be applied automatically during the checkout process.

* Sony Card is issued By Chase Bank USA, NA, and is subject to credit approval. Offer available to new Sony Card account holders who open their accounts no later than 10/31/2007. $49.95 price applies only to purchases of the Sony Portable Reader (FRPRS500U) made at SonyRewards.com with the Sony Card on or before 1/31/2008. Limit of one Sony Portable Reader at this special offer price to each new Sony Card account holder. This offer may not be combined with any other Sony Card offer.

** TERMS FOR $149 CREDIT AT CONNECT™ eBOOKS (“Credit”): Available only to customers who purchase a Reader between 5/1/07 and 7/31/07, register for a CONNECT eBooks account (“Account”), and authorize their device by 07/31/07. Must be U.S. Resident, 13 years or older, with a valid U.S. credit card. Credit good for $50 toward any title and $99.50 toward any CONNECT eBooks Classics title will be applied to your Account. Must spend entire Credit by 08/31/07. Limit 1 Credit per Reader device. For full terms and system requirements, visit www.ebooks.connect.com/$149.

So, it looks as though anyone approved for the card can get the Reader for $49. Very cool!!

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6814#comments
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #26
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
So, it looks like the $49.95 Readers are for real! Now the next interesting question will be how Sony decides to deal with the Connect freebies. Since they announced this deal on July 6, and it will presumably take weeks to get the credit cards and more time to actually get the Readers, there are not likely to be very many customers who can take advantage of the offer that expires on July 31. Yet they mention it in their announcement. So perhaps there will either be an extension or some other deal for newly-registered Readers. I guess we'll find out one of these days... In any event, it's all good.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So far, a new ConnStore credit deal has been announced every time the current one expires, so there may well be another one to follow the current one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Well folks it indeed IS a legitimate offer. I apllied for a credit card for my wife on saturday.. Talked to a few people.. They were a little vague on details.. They UPS'd us our card at my wifes insistence and we recieved the sony card today...

Today she spent about an hour online and on the cellphone with a representative in order to make sure she got the 49 dollar deal... Long story short.. She Did! Heres the details...

After you get your card.. Go here...

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/

Then create a user account etc with passord etc.

Then.. Apparently their website isn't comnpleetey set up to do the 49 dollar deal yet (which incidentally will last until January 2008!!) so you have to get a human being on the phone.. at 1866 556 7669... Explain etc... Then that human being can make the 49 dollar deal happen by adding reward ponts to your card since you only get 25 points for signing up and you need 50 to buy something on special.. (Or some such baloney)

ANYHOW.. The human being knew about the deal and was a little puzzled why their own website was not letting my wife even sign on (Without adding points first) and wasnt automatically giving her the 49 dollar deal on the website... He did say they were going to try and fix the website ... Anyhow this human added points to our account (You have to have 50 to use the redeem points feature..) until we got the reader for 49 dollars.. However.. Our account showed that we were charged 159.25 but he promised her that that would be adjusted automatically since there was a code attatched to our card that said we get the reader for 49 bucks as promised... (He saw the 'code' on his end so I can only assume that the card when you are approved has an internal attatchment to this deal...)

Now.. If they.. And I can only assume they will.. Fix the website all you have to do is go in and click on REDEEM points.. And it will be all in there...

My advice?

Get ahold of a human to walk you through the process at the phone number listed above...

Anyhow...

Can I say WWWWOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!! at the expense of our long suffering foriegn members who cant get this deal since they dont live in the good ole YEW ESS AAYY!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #29
hcobbs
hcobbs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Let me be the first to say.....

SONUVABITCH!

If I would have waited two months...........

hcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #30
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey me too! I bought mine 5 weeks ago!

Now I got two! One for the kids and wife to read since i wont give up mine and lug it everywhere with me.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote