Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #46
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I want to give GeoffR I big thank you for keeping the patches in the original format alive.
So you want to thank him by expecting him to do twice as much work for each firmware, do you?

Quote:
Personally, I prefer this way.
Not helpful to anybody without giving logical reasons for preferring the old or listing perceived deficiencies of the new. Did you actually try it or is this just your way of saying you can't be bothered?

If there are 'real' problems with the new method, this is not the way to get them fixed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Even though I am not installing this firmware on my H2O but will wait for the updated firmware due out soon, I want to give GeoffR I big thank you for keeping the patches in the original format alive. Personally, I prefer this way.
I am neutral on my preferences but once I got used to how geek1011's patcher's yaml files worked, it made it much easier to migrate between different firmware versions. A bit of short term pain for a decent amount of long term gain.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #48
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
`Allow searches on Extra dictionaries` no longer working

Thanks for the new patches!

Unfortunately, the `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries` patch does no longer seem to work. The dictionaries do show up in the list, but looking something up results in the following error: "You don't have an English dictionary installed"

I also tried the workaround described here, but to no avail:
It seems to work if the name of the dictionary in the database is changed from "Dansk - English" to "Extra:_da - English".

This actually is the most important patch for me, as the built in dictionaries are quite "limited". I would be very grateful if you could look into this.

Thanks very much for your help!
Pesche

P.S. I noticed that the patch was changed as follows from 4.4.9344 to 4.8.11073:

4.4.9344 (working)
Code:
find_base_address = `\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>
4.8.11073 (not working)
Code:
find_base_address = `\0Extra:\x20`
replace_string = 0007, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>
Changing it back won't work - building the patch results in an error when I tried.

Edit: Figured it out The two characters after Extra:_ must correspond to the suffix and the letters defined in "ExtraLocales" in "Kobo eReader.conf". Apparently, stuff like en-de1 no longer works. I replaced it with d1. Sticking to two letter codes that are identical in the suffix and db column of the database and in the config file seems to have done the trick

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 09-15-2018 at 07:06 PM.
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #49
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
Thanks for the new patches!

Unfortunately, the `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries` patch does no longer seem to work. The dictionaries do show up in the list, but looking something up results in the following error: "You don't have an English dictionary installed"

I also tried the workaround described here, but to no avail:
It seems to work if the name of the dictionary in the database is changed from "Dansk - English" to "Extra:_da - English".

This actually is the most important patch for me, as the built in dictionaries are quite "limited". I would be very grateful if you could look into this.

Thanks very much for your help!
Pesche

P.S. I noticed that the patch was changed as follows from 4.4.9344 to 4.8.11073:

4.4.9344 (working)
Code:
find_base_address = `\0E\0x\0t\0r\0a\0:\0\x20`
replace_string = 000d, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>
4.8.11073 (not working)
Code:
find_base_address = `\0Extra:\x20`
replace_string = 0007, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>
Changing it back won't work - building the patch results in an error when I tried.

Edit: Figured it out The two characters after Extra:_ must correspond to the suffix and the letters defined in "ExtraLocales" in "Kobo eReader.conf". Apparently, stuff like en-de1 no longer works. I replaced it with d1. Sticking to two letter codes that are identical in the suffix and db column of the database and in the config file seems to have done the trick
Regarding the patch, be careful and always install the patch corresponding to your actual firmware version.

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 09-16-2018 at 01:46 PM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:53 AM   #50
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
`ePub left/right margins step size` (testing)

Left/Right margin size seems to be calculated in ReaderService::setViewport as W*(N/100.0), where W is screen width and N is the value selected from the margins slider. This patch changes the denominator from 100.0 (1% step size) to 200.0 (0.5% step size). Change 200.0 to any other value you like, e.g. 125.0 = 0.8%, 133.3 = 0.75%, 400.0 = 0.25%, etc. (percentage of screen width.)

Edit: As another example, you could get a margin step size of one pixel per step by setting the denominator to the screen width in pixels, e.g. 758.0 for the Glo, 1072.0 for the Clara, etc. (But probably not useful to set such a small step size when there are only nine steps on the margins slider.)

Note that the step value N is affected by the `Custom left/right margins` patch, and if you use the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patch then you should adjust the suggested step size value in that patch to match the change made here, e.g. halve it there if using the 200.0 value here.

Beware that enabling this patch means that the margin step size will be different in ePub and KePub books, which could be annoying if you read both. To be really useful we would also need a KePub version of this patch, plus a patch to add more values to the margins slider.

(And as always, the actual final margin size might be affected by things in the individual book's stylesheet.)

`ePub left/right margins step size` (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `ePub left/right margins step size`
patch_enable = `no`
#
# Local constant in ReaderService::setViewport
replace_float = 48ca28, 100.0, 200.0
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-18-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added one pixel per step example.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #51
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
`KePub full-screen mode margins step size` (testing)

Here is a patch that does the same as the one above for KePubs in full-screen mode. Unfortunately KePubs in normal mode use a different method of setting the margins, so it looks like a more complicated patch will be needed to achieve the same thing in normal mode.

Note that in full-screen mode the `Custom kepub default margins` patch affects the minimum size of all four margins, and the `Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs` patch increases the size of the left/right margins a little.

(If you test this patch, remember that there is an unfixed bug in the KePub full-screen mode that prevents the margins being adjusted after loading a new chapter, so you might need to close and re-open the KePub book to be able to adjust the margins.)

`KePub full-screen mode margins step size`: (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `KePub full-screen mode margins step size`
patch_enable = `no`
#
# Local constant in KepubBookReader::setFullScreen
replace_float = 9FB100, 100.0, 200.0
</Patch>
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote