Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Klip
Enthusiast
Klip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Previewer fails to convert epub to mobi

I've been trying to convert my epub book to mobi using Kindlegen and I keep getting the error:

"Kindle Previewer has failed to compile the book"

I've validated the book with Sigil as well as with http://validator.idpf.org/ and it validated with no problems.

The Kindle previewer spits out a list of things among which I find this line:

Warning(prcgen):W14225:Mobi could not be built with HD images because it exceeds the maximum file size limit. Falling back to Mobi building with SD images

But...I don't understand this. There is only one image in the book, the cover, and that's an 18 KB JPEG file. What HD images does this refer to?

As far as I can tell that's the only warning.

This EPUB is one I compiled out of Scrivener, if that's relevant. I've done this many times and never run into this problem before. What's changed? Am I missing something really obvious?
Klip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Klip
Enthusiast

Oh...forgot to add. The file size of the epub book itself is 187 KB
Old 10-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest that the file size is in pixels. How big is the image in pixels? As you say the error message should not be fatal. I would suggest you use Sigil to cut the book in half and see which half has the problem. Perhaps this can narrow it down.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
Klip
Enthusiast

Thanks Dale I'll try that. The pixel size of the image is unfortunately not the problem - it's the recommended size and when I reduced it, that made no difference.
I'm going to try your suggestion to compile bits of the book to see if the problem is located in a particular section. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
Klip
Enthusiast

...well, I fixed it, but I'm not sure what made the difference.
I reinserted all the "author" "date" etc metadata, and I redid and reinserted the cover image. Somewhere in there I accidentally fixed whatever the problem was.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #6
Klip
Enthusiast

Ah!
I've possibly discovered the source of the problem and it's weird.
I have two identical EPUB files. One is stored in my dropbox folder. The other on my desktop. If I attempt to convert the Dropbox one, the converter refuses to do it. The identical desktop file - no problem.

So. Make of that what you will.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klip View Post
Oh...forgot to add. The file size of the epub book itself is 187 KB
I think you must mean megabytes! I don't think it's possible for an epub to be that small. I think your image must be gigantic.

Yes: I see you said 18 KB for the image. Again, that would be so pixilated as to be unviewable. Surely it's 18 MB, and that's your problem. Images should be sized about 127 KB in a reflowable book, to avoid being degraded by the conversion.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
Klip
Enthusiast

NotJohn I thought that filesize seemed small too - but it really is 187KB
The image is a placeholder image until I've designed the cover - it's just a white rectangle with some black text on it. It really is only 18KB

Anyway - I did manage to convert the thing once it was no longer stored in Dropbox (see my post above) with this same cover image so I don't think the file size or the pixel size of the image was the problem. I suspect the fact that Dropbox was overwriting the file while it was being converted made the converter software throw out errors that were not there - at least, that's what I'm guessing.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Very possibly. It wouldn't be the only thing that has issues with file editing conflicts when doing realtime sync.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Probably Dropbox

Dropbox does sometimes cause compilation failures. When it does I leave it for a few minutes and try again, usually successfully.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote