Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have a Kepler Pro that has 1 gb of RAM and 16 gb of internal storage. It runs Android 4.0.4. The eReader Store is working on a 4.4 upgrade,but it's not quite ready for prime time yet.

I like the K-Pro quite a bit. Android 4.0.4 is rather old, of course, but many apps still support it. Check to see if the apps you want to run are compatible with 4.0.4. NeoReader 2.0 does a nice job with ePub. You can always install other reading apps, like AlReader.

My understanding is that the hardware limits it so that it cannot support an Android version any newer than 4.4.4.

The most recent Onyx devices - the Max 2, that is already available, and the Note, that may be available by March) run Android 6.0, but these devices are much larger than you want, and much more expensive. I have seen no word yet on whether or not Onyx will offer a smaller eInk device that runs 6.0.

As of now, we don't have an Android eInk reader which is in the 6 or 7 inch range that runs anything newer than 4.2.2 (stock). Boyue's readers have 4.2.2. I have had the Boyue T63 and the Onyx Kepler Pro. I'd take the Kepler Pro as the better of the two, even with 4.0.4.

Edit: Oops - I forgot my Nook Glowlight 3! It runs on Android 4.4, but it does not have an sd card. So, you wouldn't be interested. It does offer 8 gb of internal storage, of which about 6 gb is available to the user.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #17
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue
whatsacubit began at the beginning.

Device: Hacked Nook Touch - Android 1.5
Greetings! I am searching for the EXACT same device! I probably have an account on here that's ancient, but whatever, I just made a new one. There is a disturbing LACK of current information on these devices. I want one to side-load offline dictionaries, Wikipedia offline, recipes, flash cards and etc.

</rant on>
I hate PDF's to begin with, so that's not much an issue for me. PDF files have been plagued for decades. There's no way to tell before opening one if it's images only, or searchable text. Sometimes the text doesn't search correctly, or at all. Good luck copying text, sometime when you paste it, it looks like someone shot your paragraph out of a shotgun. Re-pagination is screwy, and frequently chokes completely. Almost every printer on the planet has a special Adobe print driver built in, because they NEVER print correctly on their own. They've been this way for decades, Adobe / Apple should have pulled the plug on the project eons ago and apologized and started over. NOPE! Let's just keep mucking along and make an even bigger mess of it. Um.. what do you mean it can transmit viruses??
</rant off>

So, the current generation of devices is more than capable to be able to handle the workload, but there is a SERIOUS amount of confusion about the devices. My best research shows that there are two separate manufacturers in China creating android e-Ink devices. They have a dubious history on English versioning. A reseller in Poland was reselling them, adding a splattering of Polish versions that weren't natively English. The Polish company got in trouble with one of the manufacturers and was told to stop selling their devices and pull their website. Oh, and they tend to keep the same model name, and add to the end of it. So for example, one of the current devices is named the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2+ The other one is named the inkBOOK Prime. BangGood is (obviously) a Chinese online retailer. Their devices may or may not be 100% English. On Amazon, one of the devices was originally listed by some no-name third party reseller. Also on Amazon, the inkBook Prime has the advertising blurb for the inkBOOK -CLASSIC- listed.

As I said, a full measure of confusion.

I don't blame the manufacturers for this. I blame the eReader community and websites for not keeping tabs on the newest devices for people. The newest product matrices are from 2006-2008, for God sakes. Wikipedia is even sorely out of date.

So, of the two devices, the main differences are things like bluetooth support, automatic sleep mode, stuff like that. I may actually back up to an older model, because I would rather have months of battery life than an HD screen and quad core processor to read books. I believe the industry already passed by the ideal device. There was a 1ghz processor created to minimize battery use. Nobody ever had an issue with the resolution of the 212 pixel per inch devices. Some of the older devices had 3000mAh, I'm seeing 1700 on other devices. I've seen vague references claiming that manufacturers are 'racing to the bottom' to try to build the crappiest cheapest device that might explain this. However, these two manufacturers appear to have a steady stream of updated devices, I don't believe that that is the issue here.

Again, I blame the community and websites for this gaping hole of missing information. I haven't decided which device I want, let alone precisely determined which model I want. I think the safest bet is to order through Amazon and count on their return policy if you hate the device. Either that or find a device ~$30 on ebay and take a crap shoot that it functions correctly and is 100% English. I am about to start tracking down precise device stats myself, and going from there. I'm not looking forward to going 'down the rabbit hole' but I can't find any other options for accurately determining the actual stats on these devices.

EDIT: I would love someone to prove me wrong and point me to current information or other current 6 inch android E-ink devices.

Last edited by whatsacubit; 02-10-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typos
whatsacubit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #18
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
My understanding is that the hardware limits it so that it cannot support an Android version any newer than 4.4.4.
My understanding is that there is a SPECIFIC version of Android with gobs of crap chopped out of it that energy efficient E-ink devices don't need. All of these revolve around Android 4.x. I'm not sure which version of Android 4.x you get makes a whole lot of difference. For example, one older E-ink device supported encryption (public library ebooks), but the new one doesn't. One newer device pasted the bit for bluetooth back in because it needed it, but the older device which didn't have bluetooth obviously didn't need it.

I believe the Android 6.x device uses a standard version of Android. As such, if it hasn't been whittled down for E-ink devices or for a special battery saving processor, it will probably suck up battery life through a straw like a toddler with their first cup of root beer. Don't quote me on that bit either, but if there was a new version of Android for E-ink devices, the entire industry would doubtless be using it. The actual E-ink website may elaborate, but since Android choked their own necks by locking down the SD card for independent app usage, I just don't care which version it is any more.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #19
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue

State of the art:

http://www.eink.com/product.html?typ...uctdetail&id=3

What I learned:
1) Current tech is ACTUALLY Carta 1.2. Contrary to popular myth, Carta 2 does not exist.
2) The lighting is built in to the display by E-ink. Everyone arguing about raised bezels, shadows and LED color can stuff it.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #20
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsacubit View Post
State of the art:

http://www.eink.com/product.html?typ...uctdetail&id=3

What I learned:
1) Current tech is ACTUALLY Carta 1.2. Contrary to popular myth, Carta 2 does not exist.
2) The lighting is built in to the display by E-ink. Everyone arguing about raised bezels, shadows and LED color can stuff it.
Raised bezels are generally associated with IR touch screens vs. capacitive touch screens, not the eInk/front light technology.

If you go a level up to http://www.eink.com/modules.html and search for 5-10" models, you can see that only (some) 6" and 6.8" models have the front light built in. The 7.8" 1874x1404 model doesn't include it.

This may explain why some models with that size/spec—e.g. the Kobo Aura One—have had issues with uneven comfort lighting, while 6.8" models from Kobo haven't had the same issues (if the former are adding lighting in aftermarket, it may be harder to get it even than it is with integrated lighting).

Or maybe it just means they aren't publicly listing all the models they sell to big manufacturers like Kobo/Amazon/etc, and those buyers are getting versions with included front lights.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:01 AM   #21
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue

Perhaps sjfan, they certainly don't list all of their clients anymore like they used to.

At any rate, after a dizzying array of translated websites in various languages, I've found the really real spec sheets for both devices:

http://boox.com/index.php/en/products/boox-c67-series

https://store.inkbook.eu/shop/inkbook-prime/

Last edited by whatsacubit; 02-11-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
akasha
akasha began at the beginning.

Device: Onix Boox T76ML Carta+
Quote:
I have a Kepler Pro that has 1 gb of RAM and 16 gb of internal storage. It runs Android 4.0.4. The eReader Store is working on a 4.4 upgrade,but it's not quite ready for prime time yet.
I am still hopeful about the 4.4 upgrade. Will it be available if I don't get it from the eReader store? Unfortunately, it is out of stock there.

I am kicking myself for dithering. The Kepler Pro is now out of stock everywhere but Banggood. I am a bit nervous about ordering from there. Though a lot of people on the forums seem to have had good experiences with them.

Quote:
Edit: Oops - I forgot my Nook Glowlight 3! It runs on Android 4.4, but it does not have an sd card. So, you wouldn't be interested. It does offer 8 gb of internal storage, of which about 6 gb is available to the user.
The Nook G3 is still a possibility. I was happy to see the update recently about them removing the sideloading partition. But it will mean I will need to switch files on & off it. And the reviews seem to say it is a bit sluggish, even reading epubs.

As always, B&N seems good at shooting themselves in the foot. The recent layoffs don't inspire me with a great deal of confidence in getting a device from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I would add unless you have a enormous library including very large book files such as audio books, comics/manga, recipe books and large PDFs I question the need for expandable memory.
I have a LARGE library. Loads of knitting/craft books with loads of images. Both pdfs & epubs. And yep, cookbooks are super large. Have those too. DIY books. Also also manga. I agree that the typical epub or Kindle file are small enough to store a lot on them. When you get into graphic intensive books, they get big. My largest single file is 0.65 gig. So yep. I am not the typical user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's either Pocketbook or Onyx that might be able to update from 4.04 to 4.4. But that's a maybe. Most use 4.04 and cannot be upgraded. So if the apps you want to use won't work, just find a Reader that does as much as you want with the on-board software.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have been taking a look at that. And yep, very few are running 4.4. It is one of the reason I am debating just sticking with a dedicated ereader. I had a Kobo Aura years ago & am still considering the older H2O with the card slot. I liked the 6.8" screen.

The Kobo H2O v1 has a card slot. So it may be the top contender if I don't decide to go with an Android device.

Quote:
I hate PDF's to begin with...(snip) PDF files have been plagued for decades.
I avoid them when I can. But many publishers like having the fixed format with anything that is graphics heavy. Not ideal. Also, most knitting patterns are available only in PDF format. I am lucky that I have Acrobat Pro for work. So I can run OCR on documents that don't have it. But I know most users don't have that ability.

Quote:
I don't blame the manufacturers for this. I blame the eReader community and websites for not keeping tabs on the newest devices for people.
I disagree there. It is up to the manufacturers to have the relevant info on their sites. Some do. But many don't. The forums aren't paid professionals. They are people who care about ereaders & share their own experiences. And I appreciate that so many people take the time to offer their experiences. As for the ereader blogs & such, I suspect the reviewers aren't full time, paid positions. I most certainly could be wrong. But both the websites & forums don't owe us a breakdown of features.

I started with a comparison table on the-ebook-reader.com & created my own spreadsheet.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/eboo...omparison.html

It is a good starting point & helped me to start my looking.

Quote:
I'm not sure which version of Android 4.x you get makes a whole lot of difference.
It can. I have two programs I use heavily & think could work well on an e-ink screen. They both require 4.4 or better. So that has made me evaluate if it is worth having Android on the ereader. Or if I just stick to a dedicated ereader & use my tablet for those programs.

So the debate continues. Some day, maybe I will actually make the purchase! *laugh*
akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akasha View Post
The Nook G3 is still a possibility. I was happy to see the update recently about them removing the sideloading partition. But it will mean I will need to switch files on & off it. And the reviews seem to say it is a bit sluggish, even reading epubs.
From my experience, the Glowlight 3 isn't slow when reading epubs. It is about as speedy as any other e-reader I've ever used when turning pages and so on.

However, it is quite slow when outside of a book.

I don't do a lot of fancy work on my e-readers. I don't create custom shelves or collections and for me the Glowlight works perfectly. But a quick glance at the Nook forum seems to show that there have been issues with custom shelves disappearing and sideloaded books coming and going. Again, I haven't seen any of that myself, but there's enough noise that I do believe it.

I think the Glowlight 3 is a lovely bit of hardware. But it does seem that their software is buggy right now.

Quote:
As always, B&N seems good at shooting themselves in the foot. The recent layoffs don't inspire me with a great deal of confidence in getting a device from them.
You'll get a device from them and it will be nice. But even though I am a Nook champion, I am worried that they won't get a more stable version of their firmware out any time soon.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
akasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
From my experience, ...
Thanks for sharing your experience. It definitely helps to hear.

Also, thanks for the reminder about the issue with the shelves. I had forgotten about that. I use shelves a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You'll get a device from them and it will be nice. But even though I am a Nook champion, I am worried that they won't get a more stable version of their firmware out any time soon.
Also a great point. I have struggled with B&N for a while. They are in for ereaders, then nope, they are out...then back in. *sigh* Though everyone I know who has one seems to love them.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
My device info is not up to date, I have both the Max and the Kepler Pro. My Max is running 4.0.4 and the Kepler Pro is running 4.2.2. However I am not too caught up on the versions because my Max supports encryption and the Kepler Pro doesn't. This may not be important to you.

I got the Max specifically for it's use with PDFS and I have to say, I like it a great deal. In a lot of ways, it's exactly what a book reader should be. No concern for whatever format I load, it'll display and the battery is huge.

Personally, it's an ideal device for me. Both handle large capacity SD cards, no ads or commercials like the Kindles and I didn't have to register it like a Kobo. The Monte Crisco/Kepler Pro I've been very happy with so far.

I didn't get mine from the onyxboox.com site, I think I got it from some American reseller but Kepler Pro/Monte Crisco 3 was what I was looking for. I'm very happy with it, I hope they continue doing business as they are exactly what I was looking for.
Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2
the newer have bad review.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R1SPH4RZ4R8SE2

how your?

my kindle paperwhite just spoil. thinking should i get android e-ink reader?

Last edited by steven168; 03-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:49 AM   #26
whatsacubit
Crusty Old Rogue

Akasha, I meant websites like Wikipedia and etc that supposedly keep a running list of current devices.

Steven, I bought the Carta 2+. It needs a bit of tweaking, like any current device, but if you're patient it can do everything you might want it to.

For advanced users like myself I'd give it 5 / 5 stars. For users new to ereaders, it's totally useable out of the box, at least 4 / 5 stars. Anyone giving it a bad review is either jaded or got their hands on a bad device.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #27
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I'm in the same boat as you. I too want an Android based reader with an SD card. But that appears to be an increasingly unrealistic goal. Onyx is the only vendor that gives unfettered access to Android but they aren't cheap and I've read about build quality issues with some of their devices. I once rooted my Nook ST to run Android but the reading experience was so bad I immediately reverted back to stock.

The major players (Amazon, Kobo, and B&N) mostly lack SD cards on their devices. Older Nook and Kobo devices had it but the newer ones only have fixed memory.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #28
akasha

azayn, I ended up going with the Onyx T76ML Carta+. So far, I like it a lot.

It is able to work with Calibre which was one of my major concerns since I have a large library that I store in it.

I also really like the reading software. It is quick. And it works better with PDFs than I had when I was using my Kobo a couple years ago. And that is with the software it comes with which is great.

I also like the 6.8" screen. I had that on my Kobo. It is a bit slow to boot. But I think that it true of most ereaders.

whatsacubit, it did take some time to get the libraries installed. I need to do some more tweaking with mine. I am still hoping that a 4.4 Android build will come as there are some apps I can't run that I would really like to. But overall, I really like it.

I did get a case for mine as I have heard they can break. And I am prone to dropping things. I got it from ereader.store. Seems good but luckily I have been good so far & not had to test its durability! Hoping to keep it that way.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #29
Richard1
Richard1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
I had a Pocket book Ultra (Swiss company) for some years and it was great. Unfortunately I lost it a month ago. Now I have a 'Pocket Book Touch HD 2'. It's a 300 dpi 6" reader with switchable warm light for the night readings. I'm putting all my books on a SD card and the 'Touch HD 2' is able to give me all the required informations. With Calibre you can add informations as genre, series, ... to your books before you copy them to the SD card (if they are missing). It works great.
Unfortunately the successor, the 'Touch HD 3' has NO SD Slot! (Therefore it's waterproof :-(
So I would recommend either to search a 'Touch HD 2' or easier to buy the 'InkPad3' - it's almost 8" and EUR 229. But as functional as the Touch HD 2.
So I think that's the eReader you are looking for.
Hope this was helpful.

PS.: Officially you can add maximal a 32 GB Micro SD card. But I used a 64 GB card in my previous 'PocketBook Ultra'. With my new 'Touch HD 2' I 've not tried to add more than 32 GB yet. But I bet it also works with a 64 GB card. But please don't take that for granted.
Richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #30
Richard1
Richard1 began at the beginning.

I had a Pocket book Ultra (Swiss company) for some years and it was great. Unfortunately I lost it a month ago. Now I have a 'Pocket Book Touch HD 2'. It's a 300 dpi 6" reader with switchable warm light for the night readings. I'm putting all my books on a SD card and the 'Touch HD 2' is able to give me all the required informations. With Calibre you can add informations as genre, series, ... to your books before you copy them to the SD card (if they are missing). It works great.
Unfortunately the successor, the 'Touch HD 3' has NO SD Slot! (Therefore it's waterproof :-(
So I would recommend either to search a 'Touch HD 2' or easier to buy the 'InkPad3' - it's almost 8" and EUR 229. But as functional as the Touch HD 2.
So I think that's the eReader you are looking for.
Hope this was helpful.

PS.: Officially you can add maximal a 32 GB Micro SD card. But I used a 64 GB card in my previous 'PocketBook Ultra'. With my new 'Touch HD 2' I 've not tried to add more than 32 GB yet. But I bet it also works with a 64 GB card. But please don't take that for granted.
Richard1 is online now Add to Richard1's Reputation Report Post
Richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, sd card, suggestions