Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do I actually need a dictionary on my reader?
Yes, I need a dictionary on my reader 143 53.96%
No, I do not need a dictionary on my reader 122 46.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #31
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The word want has been removed because this is about need and not want. So do you actually need a dictionary on your reader? Just wanting one is a no. You have to actually need one to vote yes.
Why not include a full range of possibilities?

* Have it and use it.
* Have it and don't use it.
* Don't have it and need it.
* Don't have it and want it.
* Don't have it, don't want it.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #32
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
No, I don't think I need one. Though as long as it didn't bother me, I wouldn't mind it.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #33
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I need the dictionary because, unfortunately, if I want to read contemporary books, I have to buy them in english, as in my country there's praticaly no ebooks (except the ones in project gutenberg). There's no portuguese ebook stores or whatever. So I have to read in english. Although my english writting skills are very poor (as you can read), my reading skills are very good, but sometimes there might be a word I don't know, so I use the dictionary look up.

Do I REALLY NEED the dictionary just because of a word or two that I might figure out by context only? Maybe REALLY not. Just like we don't REALLY NEED two kidneys to live.

I've voted yes.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #34
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Don't want it, don't need it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #35
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just trying to find out if it would be a deal-breaker if ePub support does not come with an in-line dictionary.
Then that is exactly the question you should pose. I would vote that it is a deal-breaker, but I suspect as you do that the majority would NOT consider it so.

Ideally we could each configure the hardware and software capabilities we desire and are willing to pay for in customizable ereaders (i.e. I'll take a 6" B&W e-Ink display, dictionary support, ePub and PDF support, and page advance buttons on both sides but no keyboard).

Until then, I do believe forums like this will help vendors develop the fixed hardware software solutions that meet 'most' of the needs of specific market segments.

So JSWolf, while I don't desire or need the same hardware or software that you consider essential, I do applaud you pushing the envelope by engaging the community is this type of discussion. I apologize for sometimes seeming argumentative, but I'm a firm believer in 'one size does NOT fit all' and rebel against forced application. I also hold the paradoxical view that I'm willing to accept a lot of slightly less than favorable attributes (hardware or software) for really well done system integration and customer experience.

Just sign me: Rebelils radix lecti (Rebellious Couch Potato)

Last edited by pking36330; 05-20-2009 at 12:46 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #36
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
My daughter just called me a "mouse potato" and I didn't need a dictionary to look that up. (Even though I don't use a mouse with my laptop.) And in most normal circumstances, I can usually get by with an unfamiliar word by context, but...

I voted "Yes" I need one, because:
1) I'm not content to just guess at the meaning of the word.
2) The appeal of an eBook reader is portability and my 2 volume dictionary at home is not very portable and has extremely tiny print.
3) Words themselves are very interesting to me.
4) My daughter is always asking me the meaning or spelling of words, and I want to set a good example for her, by following up on her questions, especially while she is learning and has the interest. (If I could get a decent encyclopedia on my Sony, I'd want, no need, that too! )

BTW- should I be insulted by her comment?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Well, do you actually NEED an ereader?

Obviously, the answer is no, since most read books before they had one, and most would continue to read, if someone took it away.

I'd guess, that a conveniently accessible dictionary is a good idea for most, if not all, readers.

My guess is, that those who never use a dictionary (since they were a kid :-), do so because there isn't one easily accessible, when they run across an unknown term. But if there was a dictionary only a click away, they would learn something new, probably every day :-)

To put it in perspective: the average educated person has a vocabulary of about 20,000 words. Guestimates are, that there are a million, or more words, in use in the English language.

I know that everyone here is way above average, but still..., a dictionary seems like a good idea for a dedicated reading device.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
No. I've only used the one on my Kindle once or twice. Though I may use it more if it wasn't so damn slow to come up when you click on a line to look up.

But in general, I'm only doing leisure reading on my ereader, and probably wouldn't waste the time to look up an unknown word and snap myself out of the book.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #39
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think the use of "NEED" is a bit too strong and using that wording will strongly skew the poll. I don't NEED a dictionary, and I don't NEED an eBook reader I can just buy a paper book.

However if you asked will having a dictionary influence my purchase the answer is you bet.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #40
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
:: on my knees ::
I NEEEEEED one.
Chemistry geek here, so all of the vocabulary i use on the day to day are not included in alot of the recreational books i read. Plus, it would be good to look up words just incase your confused about the context.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #41
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Dick-tionary on me reader? Nay, matey, that won't do.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #42
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I get too distracted to want a dictionary on my Reader or even for that matter wikipedia.com as once I'm off researching one thing, I then find myself reading something else. If I want to research something, I make a note to myself and look it up later.

E-book readers are great, but too many gadgets are not needed because in my opinion.. Its just a book.

-Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And how strong must a need be to vote yes?

Surely, we've lived tens of years without dictionaries in our readers, so we don't really need them...
I agree. I answered yes because I require one. I think if you're going to bring computing power and documents together, dictionary lookup and search are baseline features that you should include.

Yes, I can get up and grab my paper dictionary but part of the reason I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a device is to meaningfully improve my reading experience. I buy plenty of things I don't need. I don't even need an ebook reader. I may not need a built in dictionary but in my opinion, a reader without one is not worth my money.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Surely, we've lived tens of years without dictionaries in our readers, so we don't really need them...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. We haven't really had ebook readers for tens of years so that doesn't really apply.

I had many a school book with a glossary in the back as a short cut dictionary (somebody thought we needed them). As far as pleasure reading goes, it's been traditional to go get a dictionary to look up words you don't know. eBook readers are not traditional (but can be close if one chooses), so why not have built in dictionaries.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #45
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I've said I need one. I would not want to be with out -- I have a paper dictionary that gets heavily used. Enough of the authors I read use either words I don't know, or who use them in ways I don't understand, that without a dictionary the reading experience is, for me, diminished -- hence I went and bought a e-book dictionary.

(I can ask my better half, but after a while that can hurt....)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary