Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #1
Pocok
Pocok began at the beginning.

Device: none
In terms of ebook editing, what's the reason putting the ToC page at the very end?

Hello,

I've noticed in some cases the publishers (if even they include one) tend to place the ToC xhtml file (and thus the whole page) to the end of the book, but why is that?

Practical reason? Tradition? Or simply that's how they do it and there is nothing more to think about here?

What do you guys think, what is the general consensus regarding that notion, do you personally even include a Table of Contents page?

Thank you!
Pocok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:49 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocok View Post
do you personally even include a Table of Contents page?
No.
I ensure that the toc.ncx and nav.xhtml files are created with the TOC. The ereader then uses one of those to display the TOC.

I think it is placed at the end so when you view a preview on, say, Amazon, the preview isn't just front matter, and some of the story chapters are also displayed.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2024, 07:28 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Ditto Karellen…

I think Amazon requires a xhtml ToC for their preview?? For ePub2 I’m making for myself I do not even use an xhtml ToC, just the .ncx.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've noticed in some cases the publishers (if even they include one) tend to place the ToC xhtml file (and thus the whole page) to the end of the book, but why is that?

Practical reason? Tradition? Or simply that's how they do it and there is nothing more to think about here?
That was popular when Kindle Unlimited was new since going to the ToC would basically show you as having read every page. Other than that, no real reason.

Quote:
What do you guys think, what is the general consensus regarding that notion, do you personally even include a Table of Contents page?
With ePub3 ebooks, the navigation document is an xhtml file which I tend to make visible and place after the cover and title page near the front of the ebook. I do much the same with an ePub2 though there the navigation document is the .ncx file and you need to create a HTML version of it for humans.

And then we have the bleeps who place a human readable ToC at the start and end of the ebook.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you want to include a ToC (maybe for "accessibility" reasons), but want it to be unobtrusive, putting it at the end is a reasonable option. Some printed books have the ToC at the end too.

I would probably not include a ToC in a simple novel with a dozen chapters. I'll probably include it if there are many more chapters, or interesting titles, or a more involved structure (parts, subchapters, etc.), or if it's a compilation of poems/short stories (or a technical book, of course), or if there are nice illustrations or artwork for the ToC... But I'd put it at the beginning (unless I want to avoid spoilers).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I delete the HTML ToC as I don't use it. When I use the ToC functionality on my Kobo Libra 2, I see the NAV ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote