Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-22-2024, 05:59 AM   #16
Ebookus
Enthusiast
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
No. AZW6 only comes as an add on to KF8. KFX is another thing entirely.
okay, so how does one get an azw3 file with azw6 then?
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:02 AM   #17
Ebookus
Enthusiast
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Downloading from the website can yield different results from what Amazon delivers directly to Kindle devices. For a device that old I suspect that they will be identical but I am not certain about that. Neither is going to give you AZW6.
how about downloading the azw3 to a Kindle 5 (non touch)?

why are they all so different?
Advert
Old 02-22-2024, 11:50 AM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
Kindles running firmware too old for KFX download KF8 as an azw3 with azw6 over wifi from amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:06 PM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Amazon can deliver either MOBI, KF8, KF8+AZW6, or KFX (with varying image quality) for the same book depending on the device/app used and its software version. I don't have any definitive list of which devices/versions will receive AZW6. I have seen them on some Kindles and on the Kindle for PC app. I believe that it is also possible to receive AZW6 using some version of the Kindle for Android app.

Quote:
how about downloading the azw3 to a Kindle 5 (non touch)?
I believe that AZW6 was introduced for use on the first Paperwhite devices due to their higher screen resolution compared with prior Kindles. I am not certain but suspect that a Kindle 5 NT will not received AZW6.

Quote:
why are they all so different?
Originally Amazon delivered any particular book with the same image quality to all devices. Now in most cases they try to manage book download overhead by delivering a format with lower or higher quality images to different classes of devices.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:43 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was to download the eBooks in KFX to a PW, would I get an AZW6 even if it's just for the cover and titlepage graphics?

This playing games with graphics really needs to stop. We pay our money and expect to get the full eBook and that includes the graphics at full resolution.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-22-2024 at 02:46 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I was to download the eBooks in KFX to a PW, would I get an AZW6 even if it's just for the cover and titlepage graphics?.
I think only on an app.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:17 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Kindles running firmware too old for KFX download KF8 as an azw3 with azw6 over wifi from amazon.
And even a PW3 gets KFX on Whispernet.
Would they bother on on a K3 (only 167 dpi) or on a PW1 (better dpi but not 300 dpi, and I don't know if it does KFX)?

I've never seen azw6 and so I assumed it was only for older apps, which might not work now as they want KFX on apps.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Would they bother on on a K3 (only 167 dpi) or on a PW1 (better dpi but not 300 dpi, and I don't know if it does KFX)?

I've never seen azw6 and so I assumed it was only for older apps, which might not work now as they want KFX on apps.
My PW3 downloads azw3 over wifi and puts azw6 in the .sdr directory, so I am stuck with D&T over USB except that I have mostly switched to buying EPUB.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Maybe what PW3 gets directly varies with book / country / firmware?
Old 02-22-2024, 05:25 PM   #25
Ebookus
Enthusiast

Quote:
My PW3 downloads azw3 over wifi and puts azw6 in the .sdr directory, so I am stuck with D&T over USB except that I have mostly switched to buying EPUB.
weird, my Voyage downloads KFX and that model predates the PW3. If I remember correctly, PW3 and KFX launched at around the same time.

Would maybe downloading from web to Voyage get a high res .azw3 with azw6?
Old 02-22-2024, 05:56 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I was to download the eBooks in KFX to a PW, would I get an AZW6 even if it's just for the cover and titlepage graphics?
AZW6 is only ever delivered in conjunction with KF8 (AZW3) format. In some cases the KF8 file has low resolution images and the AZW6 file has better quality versions of the same images. In other cases the KF8 file will be missing the images that are present in the AZW6 file, saving storage.

KFX uses a different system. It splits large books into multiple files of up to a few megabytes each. The number of files needed for each book varies based on the reading device/app due to differing image quality.

Quote:
This playing games with graphics really needs to stop. We pay our money and expect to get the full eBook and that includes the graphics at full resolution.
I don't think that Amazon agrees with you on that.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:20 PM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
PW1 devices do not support KFX. The PW2 is the oldest model to do so.

Quote:
AZW6 is still sometimes used on the latest Kindle apps and devices in conjunction with KF8.

For those devices that support KFX most books will be delivered in that format. One exception is reflowable books that do not support Enhanced Typesetting due to the use unusual HTML/CSS that does not convert to KFX. Those books are increasingly rare.

Another exception is non-manga comics. Those are generally delivered to Kindles and the Kindle for PC app as KF8/AZW6 pairs instead of KFX for reasons unknown to me.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:34 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
weird, my Voyage downloads KFX and that model predates the PW3. If I remember correctly, PW3 and KFX launched at around the same time.
Yes. The PW3 launched in mid 2015. The first firmware update for it, shortly after launch, added KFX support to that model and to some older models including the Voyage. (KFX actually first came out on Fire tablets the year before and then on the Kindle for iOS app in early 2015 with no fanfare.)

Quote:
Would maybe downloading from web to Voyage get a high res .azw3 with azw6?
Downloads from Amazon web sites can deliver KF8 but not AZW6. That is only ever delivered directly to devices. The same applies to KFX.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:58 PM   #29
Ebookus
Enthusiast

why doesn't koreader support drm-free azw3 files natively?

is it a licensing issue?
Old 02-24-2024, 07:10 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
why doesn't koreader support drm-free azw3 files natively?

is it a licensing issue?
Because it's not written to handle KF8.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote